Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM

378 posts, read 341,930 times

Advertisements

I think this is probably one of the best intersections in the entire city: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4674...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4670...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4669...7i13312!8i6656

It's in pretty good shape. It just needs worthwhile tenants to get people into the area.

As for that area around Hyacinth Park, I think a fair amount is getting ripped out for the Opportunity Corridor. Everything north of Francis will be gone, and I imagine they'll pull down a bunch of the other stuff in the area. I believe the NOACA TOD study also concentrated on this area, so it's conceivable that they will push for the whole neighborhood to be redeveloped in a much denser format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM

816 posts, read 1,395,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
I think this is probably one of the best intersections in the entire city: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4674...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4670...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4669...7i13312!8i6656

It's in pretty good shape. It just needs worthwhile tenants to get people into the area.

As for that area around Hyacinth Park, I think a fair amount is getting ripped out for the Opportunity Corridor. Everything north of Francis will be gone, and I imagine they'll pull down a bunch of the other stuff in the area. I believe the NOACA TOD study also concentrated on this area, so it's conceivable that they will push for the whole neighborhood to be redeveloped in a much denser format.
Gosh darn, I agree about the E55/Broadway intersection! Why in the world haven't investors been flocking here?!?

Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Gosh darn, I agree about the E55/Broadway intersection! Why in the world haven't investors been flocking here?!?
I think it's a product of location/distance from downtown, perception problems, and neighborhood population loss. North Broadway and Slavic Village are in a unique position where they managed to retain a ton of the original commercial stock even while they lost residents and housing. With so much commercial space available in an area with dwindling residents and relatively boring housing, there's a local population threshold they probably need to hit before real investment will occur.

Slavic Village Development is really trying to induce demand and I think the Fleet Ave reconstruction will help.

Thankfully that Broadway/55th intersection is still generally occupied and not degrading, so hopefully it can just chug along until a time comes where the area is primed for more investment.

Is crime in this area even particularly bad? I feel like most of the easily accessible data is per capita which would hurt a neighborhood with a small population and make it look worse than comparable neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Is crime in this area even particularly bad? I feel like most of the easily accessible data is per capita which would hurt a neighborhood with a small population and make it look worse than comparable neighborhoods.
I would like to know the same! there is a house in the area that I am interested in buying and I've called the police department and city council numerous times regarding the safety of the area and of course I just keep getting transferred to different departments and eventually get led to some voicemail.... no one ever helps or returns my calls! it is so frustrating

Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 PM

It might be worth reaching out to the CDC: Slavic Village | Staff & Board

Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:

I'm not familiar with the intersection, but it pales against several that come to my mind.

What is the basis of your comparison?

E.g., from the picture, it doesn't appear that many of the store fronts are occupied.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

I'm not familiar with the intersection, but it pales against several that come to my mind.

What is the basis of your comparison?

E.g., from the picture, it doesn't appear that many of the store fronts are occupied.
Just in terms of original buildings that are intact (almost all of them), urban scale, unique features like the placement of the church at the end of the curved segment of E55th.

Not really looking to start an argument over it. I just think it's one of the best original neighborhood CBDs in the city.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
E 55 and Broadway might look like it might be able to be a neighborhood, but spend some time walking around the area. It's dead.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
E 55 and Broadway might look like it might be able to be a neighborhood, but spend some time walking around the area. It's dead.
I agree. The north portion right where the opportunity corridor is going is pretty desolate. Even the streets further down off E55 and Broadway such as Nursery, Hamm, Guy, Cable, etc. are all pretty blighted too. I wonder if that means it would actually be quieter and safer considering it's pretty vacant? lol

Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Slavic Village is a substantial area in which there is some debate as to what actually is SV; some say they far north portion, just south of the Rapid station near Francis street, is NOT SV; others say Broadway-55th is really "North Broadway"... I don't know actually. But I still say that to "write off" SV along Fleet, even around E. 55-Broadway, where I acknowledge there is blight, esp on side streets, is unwise... Plus I really bristle at this talk of the supposed massive Polish (see "white") flight along Fleet to the suburbs... That talk is not only not true; it encourages it more than it is a fact.

But I remain steadfast in my belief that though SV has experienced a ton of problems and was obviously a national Ground Zero for the 2008 mortgage collapse, it has a lot of potential, in terms of the people still living there and the wealth of solid old buildings in its commercial areas... There's also still considerable in-tact housing along many SV streets, most of which have not been foreclosed upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland