Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:20 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GidgetNolia View Post
I would be interested in 2 family places. I have not been able to pull those in my searches. Ethnic make-up does not really matter. I would like to get to know people of all backgrounds. Freeway access would definitely be great, but is not a necessity. I do not really care at all about shopping, but I am interested in what community activities are in an area. Even though I am interested in the community activities that would be in the area, I am not worried about what activities they are. I am likely to be in this rental for about a year, then I will re-evaluate the options. I do not have children so schools are not important either.
My vote still goes for Euclid. It's hard to beat the combination of affordability, lake access, community activities, cute Downtown area, great freeway access, and good city services. People are saying Detroit Shoreway is great, I would argue that Euclid plus North Collinwood (Waterloo + 185th) are even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:55 PM

246 posts, read 475,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GidgetNolia View Post
Thank you for the replies.
My budget is small and I have two tiny dogs which increases the rent for most apartments. My budget is about 500-700 a month depending on what is included. If the apartment includes utilities and WIFI, I could possibly go as high as $700 including increase for pets. However, most do not include all of that so I am mainly focusing on rents below $650.

I am also looking a places in other communities such as Bedford Heights, Eastlake, Oakwood Village, and Lakewood as well as others.

Does anyone have warnings for me so that I do not decide on an unsafe location or a really bad rental location?
I'd go with Lakewood or look on Clifton and Lake Ave in the Edgewater neighborhood of Cleveland (It's East of W. 117th up to the Shoreway entrance at the intersection of Clifton and Lake). Also, you could look into duplexes in Lakewood but that might push the $700 limit because they are 2 BR.

Just a quick look on Craigslist and I found this in Lakewood on Clifton for under $600 and just a few minutes walk from Lakewood Park.

Move in SPECIAL + FREE UTILITIES!

or this in the Edgwater area of Cleveland for $500

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/apa/4482519352.html

Also, if you come for a visit , drive around and look for "FOR RENT" signs on the doors of Apartments above the businesses on Detroit Ave in Lakewood, a lot only advertise that way. Entrances to the building are often on the side street off Detroit and that's where the FOR RENT sign will be.

Last edited by ECBeastor; 06-02-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 AM

185 posts, read 247,858 times
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/apa/4498306679.html

Found this in Detroit Shoreway. This is the best neighborhood in the Cleveland area.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,897 times
I think Euclid works well for what you're looking for as does Lakewood...

What in your opinion will be a reasonable commute to work?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM

I wouldn't recommend Euclid at all. There's not much going on there. If you want to be around other young professionals look into these areas: Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit Shoreway, or Lakewood. I would say University Circle, but that's over your budget.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
I wouldn't recommend Euclid at all. There's not much going on there. If you want to be around other young professionals look into these areas: Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit Shoreway, or Lakewood. I would say University Circle, but that's over your budget.
I disagree with that a lot. There is a great mix of people in Euclid: young, old, families, black, white, asian, immigrants, poor, middle class, upper middle class. There are farmers markets, cool local bars and restaurants, yoga studios, a performing arts center, a movie theater, proximity to the Beachland and the arts/dining scene in Collinwood which skews very young. I <3 the Northeast Shores. It's got everything anyone could want and more, and it's so unpretentious about it.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Detroit Shoreway has everything you've just mentioned plus more, and that's one neighborhood, not a whole city. The near westside neighborhoods have better lakefront access, closer to downtown (where she'll be working). The Capitol Theater blows away anything in Euclid. Who needs farmer markets (even though we have them) when you live right by the westside market? Better transit options (W25th and 65th) rapid stations. Most out of state young professionals are filling the neighborhoods I've mentioned, not Euclid.

To the OP just drive around Ohio City, Tremont, and Gordon Square. Then drive around Euclid to compare and just see for yourself where all the vibrancy and energy is located....Sorry Euclid just doesn't measure up.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
Detroit Shoreway has everything you've just mentioned plus more, and that's one neighborhood, not a whole city. The near westside neighborhoods have better lakefront access, closer to downtown (where she'll be working). The Capitol Theater blows away anything in Euclid. Who needs farmer markets (even though we have them) when you live right by the westside market? Better transit options (W25th and 65th) rapid stations. Most out of state young professionals are filling the neighborhoods I've mentioned, not Euclid.

To the OP just drive around Ohio City, Tremont, and Gordon Square. Then drive around Euclid to compare and just see for yourself where all the vibrancy and energy is located....Sorry Euclid just doesn't measure up.
In other words, if you want a bunch of yuppies, go to DS; if you want real people, go to Euclid. Haha, actually I don't want to turn this into a rivalry, both areas are great (though I'm not as familiar with DS). The Capitol theater is cool and historic, though I believe it only has 3 screens. Atlas Theater-Lakeshore has 7. Euclid is only about 15 minutes from Downtown via I-90, so it's only slightly further. And, yes, Euclid is a big city, and DS is more compact in its vibrancy, but the Downtown area of Euclid along Lakeshore, along with East 185th, and East 200th, and Waterloo which is just over the border, are great with lots of activity, cool independent restaurants and shops along with chains like Home Depot and Dave's for necessities. Plus there are great city parks, a public golf course, a fantastic library, nice lakefront access, an indoor ice rink, Collinwood has a new indoor pool and rec center that's free for anyone, non-residents included. DS probably has Euclid beat on walkability and compact vibrancy, but Euclid is (perhaps surprisingly) no slouch, you just have to look a little harder for the coolness factor.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 06-04-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 AM

There's yuppies, hipsters, young professionals, and everything in between here. The areas you've mentioned are decent but still doesn't measure up to the near westside.

The metroparks are turning Edgwater into the best park in the area. Check out their business plan:

http://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/R...lan-2012-11-13

It doesn't get more local or diverse than this:
Detroit Shoreway - Detroit Shoreway Dining

Old 06-04-2014, 11:03 AM

Detroit Shoreway's soon to be entrance to Edgewater:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland