Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 7,031 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be starting a new job in Cleveland on E. 9th Street. I am from WI and have no knowledge about Cleveland other than what I read online. I have to maintain my home in WI for a while when I first move to Cleveland; so I am looking for a low cost apartment. Euclid has what seems to be a nice option, but I have seen mixed reviews about the safety of Euclid. The apartment is at Briardale Commons. Does anyone know if this is a safe place for a single woman who has to walk her dogs at night?
I am interested in opinions about low cost housing in the greater Cleveland area. Please let me know some ideas of the best places to look for housing.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
What would you consider to be low cost? What's your budget?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GidgetNolia View Post
Hello,
I will be starting a new job in Cleveland on E. 9th Street. I am from WI and have no knowledge about Cleveland other than what I read online. I have to maintain my home in WI for a while when I first move to Cleveland; so I am looking for a low cost apartment. Euclid has what seems to be a nice option, but I have seen mixed reviews about the safety of Euclid. The apartment is at Briardale Commons. Does anyone know if this is a safe place for a single woman who has to walk her dogs at night?
I am interested in opinions about low cost housing in the greater Cleveland area. Please let me know some ideas of the best places to look for housing.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
I think Euclid is a great option for lower cost housing in Cleveland. The city offers great services (including a GREAT library), is reasonably safe in most areas, has lakefront access, is mixed race, and has many restaurants and shops. Briardale Commons is in a pretty good part of Euclid. It's close to the city's biggest park, which includes an ice rink and outdoor pool, as well as the Briardale golf course. You'll also be right down the street from Dave's supermarket and the stores and restaurants in "Downtown Euclid" along Lakeshore. I think you'll be fine there, but do use common sense, as crime does sometimes happen. I live in the Collinwood neighborhood, which is right over the border from Euclid, and I love the Northeast side; it has absolutely everything you could need (nature, urban density/walkability, recreation, dining, shopping, arts & culture), easy access to Downtown, Lake County, and the East suburbs via 90, 2, and 271, and there's a great sense of community, while being incredibly affordable. The only downside is the public schools, if you have kids.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 05-30-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 PM

Thank you for the replies.
My budget is small and I have two tiny dogs which increases the rent for most apartments. My budget is about 500-700 a month depending on what is included. If the apartment includes utilities and WIFI, I could possibly go as high as $700 including increase for pets. However, most do not include all of that so I am mainly focusing on rents below $650.

I am also looking a places in other communities such as Bedford Heights, Eastlake, Oakwood Village, and Lakewood as well as others.

Does anyone have warnings for me so that I do not decide on an unsafe location or a really bad rental location?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 PM

191 posts, read 442,644 times
I would definitely look into Lakewood. I don't have any specific apartment recommendations, but you should be able to find something in your price range. Lakewood also has nice parks and is right near the Rocky River Metropark which is a great place to take your dogs. Lakewood is very safe too. If you find anything specific, you can let us know and we can tell you what the area is like.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:17 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Are you stuck on apartments, or would you be willing to live in a 2 family? There are lots of 2 families that would fall in your price range. What exactly are you looking for in a city, besides just safety? Do you care about the ethnic make-up, freeway access, shopping, community, restaurants, schools, etc?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 PM

493 posts, read 639,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GidgetNolia View Post
Thank you for the replies.
My budget is small and I have two tiny dogs which increases the rent for most apartments. My budget is about 500-700 a month depending on what is included. If the apartment includes utilities and WIFI, I could possibly go as high as $700 including increase for pets. However, most do not include all of that so I am mainly focusing on rents below $650.

I am also looking a places in other communities such as Bedford Heights, Eastlake, Oakwood Village, and Lakewood as well as others.

Does anyone have warnings for me so that I do not decide on an unsafe location or a really bad rental location?
Bedford Heights is complete junk. On top of that, it's a while from downtown. Try something in Lakewood.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
I would definitely look into Lakewood. I don't have any specific apartment recommendations, but you should be able to find something in your price range. Lakewood also has nice parks and is right near the Rocky River Metropark which is a great place to take your dogs. Lakewood is very safe too. If you find anything specific, you can let us know and we can tell you what the area is like.
Thank you for getting back to me. The only property I found in Lakewood that allowed dogs and was in my price range is the AIY properties. Do you know much about this property?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Are you stuck on apartments, or would you be willing to live in a 2 family? There are lots of 2 families that would fall in your price range. What exactly are you looking for in a city, besides just safety? Do you care about the ethnic make-up, freeway access, shopping, community, restaurants, schools, etc?
I would be interested in 2 family places. I have not been able to pull those in my searches. Ethnic make-up does not really matter. I would like to get to know people of all backgrounds. Freeway access would definitely be great, but is not a necessity. I do not really care at all about shopping, but I am interested in what community activities are in an area. Even though I am interested in the community activities that would be in the area, I am not worried about what activities they are. I am likely to be in this rental for about a year, then I will re-evaluate the options. I do not have children so schools are not important either.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:16 AM

185 posts, read 248,034 times
Look at apartments in Detroit shoreway. You should be able to find something nice and in your price range. Lakewood would be my second option. Good luck and welcome to Cleveland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland