Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

A few months ago, I posted I wanted to relocate from Portland OR to Cleveland and asked some questions regarding my wants and needs. I wound up in Cleveland Heights in the Cedar-Fairmount area largely because I have a friend living in Cleveland Heights and she kept steering me to that location so I would be near to her.

So far, I am pleased with my move. It's a world of difference for the better. It is so much prettier here in my neighborhood. I like that unlike my previous neighborhood in Portland, my new neighborhood hasn't suffered the tearing down of beautiful old homes and green spaces to make way for ugly over priced apartment buildings but rather has old buildings like the church across the street from me converted into living quarters keeping the old and turning them into new. There are wide streets and lots of trees right outside my window. It's really pretty. And the rents are ridiculously low in comparison to what I was used to in Portland.

I have two good bus lines and can walk to many things which is a plus since I do not drive. People I meet here are often incredulous that I have relocated from a place that has so much media hype to one that does not. But when I point out the benefits and positives about the Cleveland area, they realize that all things considered, this is a good place to live.

This is not always the case though, some people I have met are proud of their city and are eager to share its good features. I think that more people are beginning to realize they have something they can be proud of here. Nothing is perfect, there are flaws everywhere it's just that some people are more willing to admit that about where they live than others.

I also lived in Chicago for over thirty years. I know that older cities have good and bad features. No place is perfect. But I believe the West Coast in general, while there is a lot of good, can be overrated and the Midwest underrated. Maybe it's the weather, I don't know. But Cleveland has so much to offer. For a 68 year old retiree like me on a fixed income, having to retire due to a disability, this is a good place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Too often, you really have to leave a place to know what you had. I left the area for work around 15 years ago when I was a recent college grad. It was cool for about 6 months. Then I realized how little a place like the Bay Area or Chicago has to offer above and beyond what Cleveland does, especially when you factor in the cost of living. Within a year, I was already looking to relocate back home. I found a job easily and have never regretted my decision. I travel all over the world for my job and, while some of the other areas are great to visit, I have never been anywhere else that gave me the urge to move there. All I would have to do is start doing the math.

To be honest, people like you are our best ambassadors. I know many people who live here that come from somewhere else. The overwhelming majority of them love it here and are outspoken about it. Those that don't usually dislike it for some very silly reasons and are easily derailed. "I don't like winter!!" -- Then, why did you move north?... that sort of thing. Anyway, I'm glad you are happy here. Hopefully, some of your positivity will rub off on some of the natives.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:45 PM

372 posts, read 593,412 times
So happy to read this update! People (natives) sometimes truly don't know how good they have it here. I have yet to discover an affordable town like my town here anywhere else I've lived. The one thing holding me back from saying I'd live here forever is that all my family is out in CA and I feel like I'm missing a huge part of me by not loving near them.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Thanks for the update! I am jealous. Cleveland is a gem. Can't wait to move back sometime. I enjoy east coast living as well, but my current location doesn't come anywhere close to the personality of where I grew up.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
One thing I would like to add is that it isn't just old geezers like me who appreciate this city. I talk to young people: the cable guys, phone installers, check-out cashiers etc. who see my "foreign" Visa card with a picture of Mt Hood and ask where I am from, and neighbors who are college students who at first are surprised to see someone come from there to here when it's usually the other way around. But then most tell me how they do appreciate their city.

I know many have gone West to see what's on the other side of the world for reasons of adventure and curiosity but I think many also return with less fanfare when they see the grass is not greener and it costs a whole lot more just to graze.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:51 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Ha - Minervah - I've been thinking about you and your move because you haven't posted for a while in your usual CD haunts. So, you actually did it. I'm happy to read you're happy.

How did you physically manage the move??

Old 06-30-2014, 08:12 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,151 times
How's the weather compared to Portland?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
PDX - In CLE, The summers are warmer and sunnier. The winters are colder and snowier. Spring and fall are similar in temperature but PDX usually gets more rain. All in all, it's not that much of a stretch with the exception of the fact that the middle and eastern US gets more snow.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,010 times
I need to read your post to my wife! Our home is about to be listed and I'll walk away with over 800k in my pocket! I told her, "We buy a decent place near Cle for about 350k, and purchase some apt building. I then collect rent and add $2500 per month from my teaching career." DONE!

Our kids can afford college with our help and we have money to take vacations!!!

She is so NOT into Cleveland (Ohio for that matter).

Jealous and happy for you at the same time!

Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I need to read your post to my wife! Our home is about to be listed and I'll walk away with over 800k in my pocket! I told her, "We buy a decent place near Cle for about 350k, and purchase some apt building. I then collect rent and add $2500 per month from my teaching career." DONE!

Our kids can afford college with our help and we have money to take vacations!!!

She is so NOT into Cleveland (Ohio for that matter).

Jealous and happy for you at the same time!
A visit should change her mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland