Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 32,353 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm a 20-something CSU student moving from the Falls to a pretty nice townhouse with a friend. The immediate street is pretty nice, but some of the immediately surrounding areas are "so-so" - or worse.. IDK, haha. Would it be out of place to ask my landlord to install a security system or to let me have one installed? My father said I should have one. I saw signs on the street saying that it's monitored by security cameras and it's permit only for parking. But I'm an upper middle class white kid used to living in a bubble, haha. I have nice stuff (clothes, electronics, jewelry, furniture, etc.) and a new car (nothing fancy, just a ford). I've looked at the crime rates, but what's the likelihood? Any advice or suggestions would be nice. I've eaten and shopped in the area quite a few times before, but for everyday living activities ... Which gas stations should I avoid? Where should I shop (besides the market)? Which dry cleaning service is the best? Etc. First time living on my own. I never dormed. I'm clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Honestly, and this is going to sound rude, but you don't sound like a "city" person. I don't know, just kinda see what happens. Why not move to like, Beachwood, or something?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Honestly, and this is going to sound rude, but you don't sound like a "city" person. I don't know, just kinda see what happens. Why not move to like, Beachwood, or something?
Because Beachwood isn't a stone throw away from school or where I want to work. Plus, I like Cleveland night lift and I want to be close to everything. I'm just concerned for my safety and asking what I should be aware of. Don't want to live in the burbs for ever. Mayberry is boring.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,004 times
That whole area is definitely on the up and up -- all the 100's of new homes and apartments being built. I presume you'll be closer to Gordon Square than Ohio City?

I've never lived on the west side, but have never felt threatened when hanging out at XYZ, Happy Dog, Battery Park Wine Bar, etc....and most of those times have been at night.

Just like any city, be aware of your surroundings and enjoy the city amenities/vibe. All of those areas you've listed are pure Cleveland. I can't comment on dry cleaners, shopping, etc

Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
That whole area is definitely on the up and up -- all the 100's of new homes and apartments being built. I presume you'll be closer to Gordon Square than Ohio City?

I've never lived on the west side, but have never felt threatened when hanging out at XYZ, Happy Dog, Battery Park Wine Bar, etc....and most of those times have been at night.

Just like any city, be aware of your surroundings and enjoy the city amenities/vibe. All of those areas you've listed are pure Cleveland. I can't comment on dry cleaners, shopping, etc
Yeah, sorry Detroit-Shoreway, like right by Gordon Square/in Gordon Square. You pass a little sign that says something along the lines of "Welcome to the Gordon Square Arts District". Yeah, the area seems lovely. I love Ohio City and all of the bars and restaurants around West Side Market, like Bier Garden, etc. I was just thinking that it'll be different living there than visiting. There's pockets of good and bad. While our street is pretty nice, it seems like streets within a close vicinity are sketchy. Like that gas station where Lake Avenue ends at Detroit across from Burger King seems super sketchy. Yellowcake, Lux, the wine bar, Happy Dog, etc. are pretty cool, but you know :S

Old 07-05-2014, 11:36 AM

185 posts, read 247,814 times
It's a great neighborhood!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:16 AM

254 posts, read 307,180 times
There's nothing to fear ... it's a fine neighborhood. Use common sense ... lock your door when you're not at home, don't leave expensive bling sitting visibly in your car. Welcome to the west side...

Old 07-08-2014, 04:46 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
Avoid Madison Ave. Lots of drug crime around that street.

Otherwise, it looks like you have a good "sense" of which corners are rock-solid safe, and which are somewhat sketchy. If you think a convenience store makes you uncomfortable after 9 PM, you're probably right.

I think that's BS about you not being a "city person." (Though if you want to keep posting here, you might want a different name.) I was from a rural town of 6,000 before being a Case student, and yeah it's a big change, but I never had any problems. As for West 65th/Detroit, it looks 1,000 times better than when I lived in CLE, and everything indicates it'll get better still.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:24 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post

I think that's BS about you not being a "city person."
I think you didn't read his post. I didn't imply anything negative about suburbs. I just think he might prefer them, given his concerns.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:32 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think you didn't read his post. I didn't imply anything negative about suburbs. I just think he might prefer them, given his concerns.
Oh, I didn't think you implied anything negative about suburbs (as if we needed another thread on that topic).

I'm just saying that just because (a) his parents raised him in a suburb, and (b) he chose to go to college in a non-urban setting, you shouldn't conclude that he'd prefer a suburb at this point in his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland