Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Yes 33 75.00%
Not quite, maybe in time 5 11.36%
No, never 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:14 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Hmm, let me think, being a former Ohioan and meeting alot of others that moved here from there and other parts of the midwest, the most common and obvious reasons:
1.) the economy is much better in FL(depending on your field) and the pay has been better at least in my case.
2.) the weather is awesome even in the summer unless you're some fat tub of lard that can't handle being out in the heat for more than 2 seconds or if you have an outside job.
3.) if the heat does become too much to handle, you're always within at least an hour or 2 at most to the closest beach, and alot of those beaches are ranked among the top in the U.S. and even in the world.
4.) the nightlife and music scene far surpasses any city in Ohio that i've ever been to
5.) there are year round OUTDOOR activities to do all over the state, not just a few months out of the year
6.) NO SNOW!! At least from Central down to South Florida, extreme northern Florida does occasionally get some flurries.
7.) people seem to be much nicer, and much easier to make friends here
8.) palm trees and green foliage everywhere and ALL year long, no dead and barren trees and yellow lawns during the winter months
9.) plenty of sunshine(hence the SUNSHINE STATE), no gloominess for days at a time like the winter months in Ohio
10.) boating and watersports all year round
11.) year round golfing
12.) laid back, less stressful, slower pace of life
13.) NO State Income Tax!
14.) Last but not least, the WOMEN, omg the Women here are amazing!
So you tell me bjimmy, why would anyone in their right mind want to live somewhere so horrible with all the things i just mentioned??
Of course, like any other state, FL is by no means perfect and we have our negatives, and by no means would i EVER live in Miami, but if you put yourself in a position where you can avoid those negatives, then life here is pretty damn awesome. If you don't like it, then please stay away as we have plenty here that love the state!
On another note, congrats Cleveland with getting LeBron back, its good to see positive things happening for the city especially with Manziel getting drafted to the Browns and the Cavs also getting Wiggins, and the 2016 GOP Convention. Figures the year i leave, the city is back in the national spotlight and will be booming again! Let's hope a championship can be brought back to the city soon as that would be the topping on the cake.
Economy isn't really that much better. Weather in FLorida sucks (I assure you I'm in better shape than you, not knocking you, just the nature of my work... I'm not a tub of lard). Beaches are beaches, I don't see what's so special about Florida's. The music scene does NOT surpass Cleveland's. Nightlife in Cleveland is good, you probably just don't go out much. Snow isn't that bad unless you're some fat tub of lard that drives everywhere and doesn't like his driving time to be inconvenienced. I prefer beautiful fall colors. I hate golf with a passion. I have a pretty cool girlfriend in Boston, I am not interested in "the women" in Florida or Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Don't you think that statement is a bit over the top? After all, we are talking about a basketball player who has zero impact on the lives of 99.999% of NE Ohioans.

For Cleveland's NBA franchise, it's a coup. For some of the local bars and restaurants, it will be a nice shot in the arm. However, as anyone who has been paying attention has seen, the economic recovery and advancement over the past 4 years in the city of Cleveland did not require LeBron James. I think I speak for many when I say that this is the most important thing. LeBron or no LeBron, it's business as usual for the vast majority of us.
By "Cleveland" I meant Cleveland sports fans.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:19 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Hmm, let me think, being a former Ohioan and meeting alot of others that moved here from there and other parts of the midwest, the most common and obvious reasons:
1.) the economy is much better in FL(depending on your field) and the pay has been better at least in my case.
2.) the weather is awesome even in the summer unless you're some fat tub of lard that can't handle being out in the heat for more than 2 seconds or if you have an outside job.
3.) if the heat does become too much to handle, you're always within at least an hour or 2 at most to the closest beach, and alot of those beaches are ranked among the top in the U.S. and even in the world.
4.) the nightlife and music scene far surpasses any city in Ohio that i've ever been to
5.) there are year round OUTDOOR activities to do all over the state, not just a few months out of the year
6.) NO SNOW!! At least from Central down to South Florida, extreme northern Florida does occasionally get some flurries.
7.) people seem to be much nicer, and much easier to make friends here
8.) palm trees and green foliage everywhere and ALL year long, no dead and barren trees and yellow lawns during the winter months
9.) plenty of sunshine(hence the SUNSHINE STATE), no gloominess for days at a time like the winter months in Ohio
10.) boating and watersports all year round
11.) year round golfing
12.) laid back, less stressful, slower pace of life
13.) NO State Income Tax!
14.) Last but not least, the WOMEN, omg the Women here are amazing!
So you tell me bjimmy, why would anyone in their right mind want to live somewhere so horrible with all the things i just mentioned??
Of course, like any other state, FL is by no means perfect and we have our negatives, and by no means would i EVER live in Miami, but if you put yourself in a position where you can avoid those negatives, then life here is pretty damn awesome. If you don't like it, then please stay away as we have plenty here that love the state!
On another note, congrats Cleveland with getting LeBron back, its good to see positive things happening for the city especially with Manziel getting drafted to the Browns and the Cavs also getting Wiggins, and the 2016 GOP Convention. Figures the year i leave, the city is back in the national spotlight and will be booming again! Let's hope a championship can be brought back to the city soon as that would be the topping on the cake.
Other than the humidity, certain places in FL definitely top most of what Cleveland has to offer. I agree with 95% of your list as being superior.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 AM

254 posts, read 307,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Really?? IMO Ohio hasn't got a city worth spit - even if you rolled Cleveland and Dayton AND Cincinnati together they would not have half the vitality or pizzazz of Fort Lauderdale, much less Miami!
And when I learned LBJ only signed for a year I had to laugh out loud.

Don't get too comfy with your newest Cavalier, folks.
Le Bron e mobile!
By "pizzazz" I assume you mean people sweating on you and gang fights. And by "a year" apparently you mean "two years," because that's how long he signed for, and that's due to the CBA being up in 2 years, and his ability to likely get a higher max contract then (from Cleveland.) Of course as a Floridian, you're not a sports fan, just an occasional bandwagon jumper, so you don't know what any of that means.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
I hope part of LeBron's new ''maturity'' includes his ability to learn how to tip properly at local establishments. Even more of a welcome back to CLE if he has.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Stolen from the Basketball forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFFr9QT5Zio

Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
By "Cleveland" I meant Cleveland sports fans.
I'll then revise that to 99.9%

I'm a Cleveland sports fan. His leaving has had zero impact on my life. I was over it in 3 seconds. So were the vast majority of the fans. Just like with him coming back, the media blew it completely out of proportion.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Really?? IMO Ohio hasn't got a city worth spit - even if you rolled Cleveland and Dayton AND Cincinnati together they would not have half the vitality or pizzazz of Fort Lauderdale, much less Miami!
Per my experience in that sweltering hell-hole, my assumption is that "vitality" means fake body parts installed on living humans and "pizzazz" means the free flow of crack and unprescribed Oxycontin.

Btw, the best basketball player in the NBA doesn't quite see it the way you do either.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
For those claiming Florida sucks to live in and for those claiming it's awesome to live in....here's the thing...when you have Lebron's money, you can afford to live in both...I have no doubt he'll keep a place in South Beach for his family to get away from time to time...that's what I would do...if I have millions, I'd buy a place in South florida...probably Key West for myself or Naples as I like the clear waters of the Gulf better...and then I'd stay there during the winter and early spring when you don't see any sun at all in NE Ohio or Ohio in general...I'd probably come up in earl May and go down after Christmas

Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
As for welcoming him back...since he failed to deliver the first time, then he did deliver in Miame when that should have been Cleveland, I will not welcome him back w/ open arms until he delivers a championship...he owes Clevelanders that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland