Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Yes 33 75.00%
Not quite, maybe in time 5 11.36%
No, never 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
As for welcoming him back...since he failed to deliver the first time, then he did deliver in Miame when that should have been Cleveland, I will not welcome him back w/ open arms until he delivers a championship...he owes Clevelanders that
That's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 02:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,780 times
Quote:
As for welcoming him back...since he failed to deliver the first time, then he did deliver in Miame when that should have been Cleveland, I will not welcome him back w/ open arms until he delivers a championship...he owes Clevelanders that
Can't say that I'm shocked by such a spot on opinion by a Dublin resident. Dublin is a great city. I'm with you in that Cleveland shouldn't be opening their arms to embrace a guy that has failed them.

A little ounce of hope and they flock to it like mad. Everyone needs to chill and see if this guy can get the job done. He only signed a 1 year contract so let's see how everything pans out first.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Can't say that I'm shocked by such a spot on opinion by a Dublin resident. Dublin is a great city. I'm with you in that Cleveland shouldn't be opening their arms to embrace a guy that has failed them.

A little ounce of hope and they flock to it like mad. Everyone needs to chill and see if this guy can get the job done. He only signed a 1 year contract so let's see how everything pans out first.
Right, never be a fan of a team until they've won a championship. That way, you miss out on the most fun part (the build up in excitement from the prospect of winning Cleveland's first championship since 1964). Screw that, fairweather fandom is way better.

Also, it's a 2-year contract, set up so that he can get paid more money after the second season.
LeBron James' deal with Cleveland Cavaliers for 2 years, $42.1 million - ESPN

Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
For those claiming Florida sucks to live in and for those claiming it's awesome to live in....here's the thing...when you have Lebron's money, you can afford to live in both...I have no doubt he'll keep a place in South Beach for his family to get away from time to time...that's what I would do...if I have millions, I'd buy a place in South florida...probably Key West for myself or Naples as I like the clear waters of the Gulf better...and then I'd stay there during the winter and early spring when you don't see any sun at all in NE Ohio or Ohio in general...I'd probably come up in earl May and go down after Christmas

This is exactly what I would do. Stay long enough to see the change of seasons, such as the Fall colors, and for the Holidays, then bug out right after New Years, and come back end of April or right before Mother's Day when everything is starting to bloom up here. Best of both worlds.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,807 times
LeBron has money, sure, but he also has kids and I imagine that whole "school" thing precludes him from making seasonal house switcheroos.

Not to mention the fact that the winter months in CLE (when you'd presumably want to leave) are smack in the middle of the NBA season where he's playing half the time here.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 AM

416 posts, read 701,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Hmm, let me think, being a former Ohioan and meeting alot of others that moved here from there and other parts of the midwest, the most common and obvious reasons:
1.) the economy is much better in FL(depending on your field) and the pay has been better at least in my case.
2.) the weather is awesome even in the summer unless you're some fat tub of lard that can't handle being out in the heat for more than 2 seconds or if you have an outside job.
3.) if the heat does become too much to handle, you're always within at least an hour or 2 at most to the closest beach, and alot of those beaches are ranked among the top in the U.S. and even in the world.
4.) the nightlife and music scene far surpasses any city in Ohio that i've ever been to
5.) there are year round OUTDOOR activities to do all over the state, not just a few months out of the year
6.) NO SNOW!! At least from Central down to South Florida, extreme northern Florida does occasionally get some flurries.
7.) people seem to be much nicer, and much easier to make friends here
8.) palm trees and green foliage everywhere and ALL year long, no dead and barren trees and yellow lawns during the winter months
9.) plenty of sunshine(hence the SUNSHINE STATE), no gloominess for days at a time like the winter months in Ohio
10.) boating and watersports all year round
11.) year round golfing
12.) laid back, less stressful, slower pace of life
13.) NO State Income Tax!
14.) Last but not least, the WOMEN, omg the Women here are amazing!
So you tell me bjimmy, why would anyone in their right mind want to live somewhere so horrible with all the things i just mentioned??
Of course, like any other state, FL is by no means perfect and we have our negatives, and by no means would i EVER live in Miami, but if you put yourself in a position where you can avoid those negatives, then life here is pretty damn awesome. If you don't like it, then please stay away as we have plenty here that love the state!
On another note, congrats Cleveland with getting LeBron back, its good to see positive things happening for the city especially with Manziel getting drafted to the Browns and the Cavs also getting Wiggins, and the 2016 GOP Convention. Figures the year i leave, the city is back in the national spotlight and will be booming again! Let's hope a championship can be brought back to the city soon as that would be the topping on the cake.
Ok, time to call this one out:

1.) The economy is much worse in Florida. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to really boast their area. I graduated college from MSU and had the opportunity to move to Florida for a job in sales (not related to my degree at all). I lived in Gainesville because it seemed like a better option with a younger crowd and downtown Gainesville on University Ave can compete with almost anywhere else major in Florida. I worked sales for a hotel chain selling businesses on conference rooms to tourists from Iowa looking to go to Disney. My area was up and down 75 from Gainesville to Tampa/St. Pete. If you do not work in construction or tourism, the economy in Florida sucks. I was living in arguably Florida's best college town, and most graduates were looking to leave Florida because they couldn't find work in their field. I gave Florida a try for a few years and decided to leave because if you think you go to the beach everyday, you're wrong. The average resident is too busy working and going about daily life. The retirees can certainly enjoy it. But drive around a lot of Florida neighborhoods and look at the foreclosed properties, or in South Florida the highrises along the ocean that have the hurricane aluminum or just plywood on abandoned buildings because they built it and no one came. Boom and bust! Florida is the poster child for that.

2.) Yes, the weather is great in January and February. Outside of that, the humid weather sucks. And you don't just have to be a "fat tub of lard" to be miserable in it. Saying otherwise is again trying to boast your area to prove your point. There are still millions in Florida who don't get that ocean breeze, and even then you're still going from your air conditioned car to your air conditioned house/place of employment.

3.) Again, every Floridian knows that you don't make it to the beach on a daily basis. As a matter of fact, the only thing I felt like I could brag about in Florida was the beach, and that wasn't even that great. The quality of life just isn't there like so many want you to believe.

4.) Tampa sucks for nightlife. Ybor city is the best they have and that is absolutely nothing to write home about. Channelside is even worse.

5.) My uncle represents the GCSAA for the state of Florida. Outside of golfing, there isn't much in Florida to do year-round. Yes, you can walk outside in January and February and enjoy your lifestyle centers and brag to it to people up north, but I would rather be snowboarding.

6.) No SNOW! What?! Crazy! But scorpions and love bugs are so much fun! I always enjoyed the fire ants and checking my shoes for scorpions. You do walk around barefoot in Florida a lot, so you can imagine how much fun that is to have them attacking your feet. Though it was fun when you do make it to the beach when you could easily spot a tourist running across the hot sand. Floridians have tough feet, I will give them that.

7.) HA! People are so much ruder in Florida. Exact opposite from what you say. From the driving to no one holding the door for you. Tampa and Orlando constantly rank as the worst cities for pedestrians because in Florida people get in their cars and don't care. Meanwhile, Cleveland ranks as one of the best cities for pedestrians. Don't forget the horrible drivers and constant hit-and-runs I would see. Maybe that is why my car insurance doubled when I moved to Florida.

8.) That's all you have? Palm trees? Florida is as flat as a pancake and the only redeeming drive was either I-10 in the panhandle or my drives from Gainesville to Orlando on 75 where there was a bit of little rolling hills in horse country around Ocala. Oh, I did enjoy the man-made hills that were the landfills in places like South Florida along the Turnpike. If you didn't enjoy the huge hill out of nowhere, you did enjoy the smell.

9.) Florida does have sunshine. But that gets annoying after awhile when you just would like a break from the sun. You do have the constant afternoon pop-up shower that will ruin a day's plan right when you want to go out because Florida is the capital for lightning deaths.

10.)Yearly boating activities that don't always mean getting in the water. Stop acting like Florida is Puerto Rico. It certainly gets cold, and the water isn't year-round swimming, either.

11.) Yep, year-round golfing is true.

12.) Laid back and less stressful? Says who, the retirees? From the crime, traffic, and rude people, Florida is far from less stressful. Slower pace of life? This is the biggest chamber of commerce get to love where we're from post ever.

13.) No state income tax, but like I said before, get ready for insurance rates go up and for Florida to get you where they don't wth the income tax. They certainly make up for it elsewhere, and when they do, they REALLY do.

14.) You can find amazing women anywhere. You just try to paint the whole state of Florida as one beach body wonderland. Trust me, as you would say, you can find plenty of fat tubs of lard in Florida.

Yep, Florida is by NO means perfect. You can find negatives in any other state. It just depends on how you want to look at it. Every negative you can point out about Ohio, I can find one for Florida. If you want it to be bad, then it will be bad... want it to be good... you get the picture. What I can't stand is this grass is greener mentality. And judging by your post I lived in Florida longer and have family all over the state. It is easy to find the negatives, and I was all about Florida when I left Michigan. Now I am back in Ohio where I could ACTUALLY GET A CAREER in which I got my degree and plan on doing my graduate studies in Cleveland because it has far more to offer than anything in Florida as far as city ammenities and where they are going with development. Sorry, the strip malls on Archer Road weren't cutting it for me. Nor was the lack of activity in downtown Tampa.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,807 times

Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Right, never be a fan of a team until they've won a championship. That way, you miss out on the most fun part (the build up in excitement from the prospect of winning Cleveland's first championship since 1964). Screw that, fairweather fandom is way better.

Also, it's a 2-year contract, set up so that he can get paid more money after the second season.
LeBron James' deal with Cleveland Cavaliers for 2 years, $42.1 million - ESPN
No one is saying to not be a fan of the Cavs. Support the logo on the jersey, not the Cleveland unproven ring chaser.

It's a 2 year contract and he can opt out after the first year.

THis just in....

SANDUSKY, Ohio --

Authorities say a northern man convicted of killing a 3-year-old boy ended up with a broken nose in a jailhouse fight that started with an argument over the NBA star's return to Cleveland.

The Sandusky Register (VIDEO: Accused killer gets nose broken in jail | Sandusky Register) reports that 25-year-old Michael Milner was treated for injuries following the fight in the Erie County jail on Friday. The 19-year-old inmate who allegedly punched him likely will face charges.

Authorities say the two squared off on the basketball court not long after James announced he would return to the Cleveland Cavaliers. The two had argued about James earlier in their pod.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/inmates-...104847564.html

LeBron's return sparks jailhouse fight

Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 AM

NBA: LeBron James' mission to maximize earnings - ESPN

Quote:
Even if James had re-signed with the Heat or had chosen the Lakers, he would have taken a one-year deal with the player option, sources said, under any circumstances.

There are three main reasons James is going this route. First, it protects him from missing out on cashing in if and when the salary cap jumps in the coming years and provides for a matching jump in the maximum salary.

Second, it opens the door for James to be in position to take advantage if the maximum salary is either abolished or vastly raised in 2017, when a new CBA can be negotiated. You can be assured that James will be heavily involved in those talks. He envisions getting a Michael Jordan-esque payday at the end of his career. Like when Jordan made $63 million over his final two years with the Chicago Bulls, James could put himself in position to get some huge back-end paydays to make up for how he feels he has been underpaid along the way.

Third, the short deals keep his team under pressure to continue spending on talent around him. With the chance to become a free agent every year, James will constantly have the ability to exert maximum influence around the team.

For a long time, James has believed in the phrase "no new friends" when it comes to whom he surrounds himself with. For the foreseeable future, he has another saying: "No long-term contracts."
The contract seems to just make business sense. I don't fault anyone for trying to maximize their earnings, even pro athletes.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I have to speak up, too. As someone who LOVES both places and is seriously considering leaving Ohio for Florida... and I'll keep a fairly neutral tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
1.) the economy is much better in FL(depending on your field) and the pay has been better at least in my case.
Do you hang out in the Florida forum on City Data? Because that is exactly the OPPOSITE impression I am given. "Don't even THINK about moving here without a job!" they say. "Our economy is not great" they say.

Quote:
2.) the weather is awesome even in the summer unless you're some fat tub of lard that can't handle being out in the heat for more than 2 seconds or if you have an outside job.
I like HEAT. I like HUMIDITY. I like to SWEAT....

I also like to have a break of a few cool days in between those really hot ones. Like Ohio.

Quote:
3.) if the heat does become too much to handle, you're always within at least an hour or 2 at most to the closest beach, and alot of those beaches are ranked among the top in the U.S. and even in the world.
An hour or 2? Great. IF I get a job, I get home at 6. AN hour or 2 you say? Is that all? So realistically I am only going to make it to a beach on the weekends? Isn't that right? But, of course, you always have s*** to do on the weekends so I might make it one day a week. At best.
You would have been better off mentioning how so many homes in Florida have pools or access to pools.

Quote:
5.) there are year round OUTDOOR activities to do all over the state, not just a few months out of the year
This IS a big one. Period. For someone like me that hates Winter. We have outdoor activities. Of course we do.
Skiing. Snowboarding. Snow shoeing. Sled Riding.
None of that interests me.

Quote:
6.) NO SNOW!! At least from Central down to South Florida, extreme northern Florida does occasionally get some flurries.
And one of my issues with snow is driving on roads you cannot see. The last time I was in Florida we were driving to Orlando and got caught in a freaking typhoon. It was SO bad. Luckily everyone on the roads was driving very well, but it was downright scary. Even my friend in Tampa said "you went out in that???"

Quote:
7.) people seem to be much nicer, and much easier to make friends here
I don't buy that at all. Period.

Quote:
8.) palm trees and green foliage everywhere and ALL year long, no dead and barren trees and yellow lawns during the winter months
And palm trees. And palm trees. and palm trees. Give me Oaks, Maples and Dgowoods over palm trees, please. At least they actually provide SHADE.

Quote:
9.) plenty of sunshine(hence the SUNSHINE STATE), no gloominess for days at a time like the winter months in Ohio
This "glomminess thing" is totally oversold. The sun comes out A LOT in Winter. Period. To say otherwise is pure BS. BUT having said that I am Vitamin D deficient. My doctor said "A LOT of people are in Ohio... they just don't know it". So I asked him "Should I move to Florida?"
"Sure...if you'd rather have skin cancer".

Quote:
10.) boating and watersports all year round
Other then an occasional jet ski... so? Not into it...

Quote:
11.) year round golfing
Great. Have to deal with those jerks ALL year. (j/k)
Not interested.

Quote:
12.) laid back, less stressful, slower pace of life
Again, going back to the C-D forum right here, not many say that about Florida at least on these forums.
Maybe the mroe rural areas, but none of the larger cities. Everyone says exactly the opposite.

Quote:
13.) NO State Income Tax!
That is nice. At least that makes up for the LOWER salary that just about everyone in the FLA forum says you can expect in Florida. As several posteers have said "but the drop in pay is made up in SUNSHINE pay..."
i.e. having more sunshine....

Quote:
14.) Last but not least, the WOMEN, omg the Women here are amazing!
Yea... you can always tell the tourists from the locals in Miami.... the tourists have real boobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland