Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Lakewood. Period.

There are more duplexes in Lakewood then there are probably in the entire city of Cleveland. (I exaggerate, a bit).

Also has the artsy fartsy coffee house vibe you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 AM

185 posts, read 247,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
Look into these three areas:

Tremont: Tremont West Development Corporation - Tremont West Development Corporation

Hingetown: Hingetown - part of the Ohio City neighborhood

Detroit-Shoreway (My personal fav): Detroit Shoreway - Detroit Shoreway Homepage

Not only are these great areas for the arts but in 5-10years these neighborhoods will be some of the most prime residential and commercial real estate in Ohio and maybe the entire midwest.
These areas > Lakewood. Sorry!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:03 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
. It's not a competition. Both areas are great. You should be happy that so many great areas exist in Cleveland, not putting down other neighborhoods because you perceive one to be superior to the other.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM

185 posts, read 247,814 times
I'm allowed to state my opinion. The real estate market is also proving my opinion's are correct.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:53 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,004 times
I can tell you as someone who has moved around a lot, Cleveland has an amazing "bang for you buck/cost of living," with all the big city amenities.

There is character, quirkiness, history, and a sense of place.

You're very sane to me!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Come on OP! Come see what this great region has to offer!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound like you're stating an opinion, but a fact.
Mayb if you had an IMO at the end.

She says she's tired of living "in the hood" and while those areas are VERY nice, they ALL border some areas that could certainly be considered 'hood. You know that.

Not so almost all of Lakewood.
Lakewood is stable and much more suburban which is what I gather the OP is really looking for.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 PM

134 posts, read 176,426 times
Hey, all. Thanks for all the great advice. I'm taking her back to school next month and we've added in some extra days to scope out Cleveland. Now we have some areas to target!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post
Hey, all. Thanks for all the great advice. I'm taking her back to school next month and we've added in some extra days to scope out Cleveland. Now we have some areas to target!
Just out of curiosity, is there any area that sounded more appealing to you than others?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:47 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post
I am currently an ESL and reading teacher in the VERY EXPENSIVE suburbs of NYC. It's insanely expensive here, and since my daughter goes to Ohio State and my son is contemplating moving to Columbus, so Mom wants to get the hell out of Dodge. I'm contemplating Cleveland because I am thinking of buying a two family house...living in one side, renting the other. I like cities and I want to start easing my way out of education and back into the arts (art school grad). I like funky places, artsy fartsy folks, and I can tolerate having to do a big fix up, as long as I can walk to a coffee shop or a book store to get away from the mess. I need to be near some large body of water (currently live a block from a harbor...water is kind of addicting). I don't need to worry about schools since both kids are out of or in college. I like houses with a bit of history, a good community, diversity is good, but to be honest, I've done living in 'the hood' and don't want to do that again. So...is this list too insane? I'll have a bit of money from selling this cardboard box in the NYC burbs (if you knew the price I paid for a four room house you'd laugh yourself silly). If I'm nuts, I can take it. Thanks in advance!
Lakewood.

Yes, it's a suburb, but it's bordered on two sides by Cleveland, and is urban and dense and walkable, is right on the lake, has loads of charm and character, and has that "hipness" factor you're looking for.

And it's much lower in crime than most parts of Cleveland proper.

It was recently ranked, in a national publication, as one of America's top ten coolest suburbs.

I may be biased because I spent my young adult years there, but I think you'd like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland