Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 13,226 times

Advertisements

Hi - My wife and I currently own a home in Lakewood, but we are planning on putting our home up for sale next Spring. We love the idea of living in Tremont or Ohio City. The modern style townhomes as well as the refurbished homes really fit what we are after in our next home. I don't see much of this architecture style or the 'hipness' that both of these areas have anywhere else in Cleveland. Our main concern is having kids, which is also on the horizon for us. Our ideal plan is to sell our house in the Spring/Early Summer and buy a new/newer home in one of these areas following the sale of our home. 6-8 months after we get into a new home we plan on having a baby. This next home is probably going to be a 5-10 year home for us. I work downtown so it's a perfect commute. We also plan on utilizing private schools - so no need for Cleveland Public. Any others in our situation in these areas and loving it/hating it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaki View Post
Hi - My wife and I currently own a home in Lakewood, but we are planning on putting our home up for sale next Spring. We love the idea of living in Tremont or Ohio City. The modern style townhomes as well as the refurbished homes really fit what we are after in our next home. I don't see much of this architecture style or the 'hipness' that both of these areas have anywhere else in Cleveland. Our main concern is having kids, which is also on the horizon for us. Our ideal plan is to sell our house in the Spring/Early Summer and buy a new/newer home in one of these areas following the sale of our home. 6-8 months after we get into a new home we plan on having a baby. This next home is probably going to be a 5-10 year home for us. I work downtown so it's a perfect commute. We also plan on utilizing private schools - so no need for Cleveland Public. Any others in our situation in these areas and loving it/hating it? Thanks!
Funny, but I have friends that just sold their house in Tremont and moved to Lakewood for the same reason: They started a family. They loved their house in Tremont(W.8th), it was new, with a great location, but the area is still sketchy, and they simply tired of their trashy neighbor's kids and his rogue friends. Don't be fooled by the new housing as it's usually next to a crappy area. But, if you're the pioneering type, I would go for it...just keep a shotgun at the front door

That's really too bad, because Tremont/Ohio City really has some of the best old and new architecture in Cleveland. It just takes a really long time for a hood like that to change out...and there's no rule that says the folks living there already have to leave!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:49 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Two words for a huge negative.

"Cleveland Schools"

Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Two words for a huge negative.

"Cleveland Schools"
Well, the original poster specified that they would send their child to private schools, so this is not a factor for them. Obviously the Cleveland public schools have some serious problems.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
This should not make or break your decision, obviously -- but there is a world of difference between the police protection you get in Lakewood and that of Cleveland.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
This should not make or break your decision, obviously -- but there is a world of difference between the police protection you get in Lakewood and that of Cleveland.
Great point! I lived in Lakewood for 11 years and the service, while slightly annoying at times, is prompt and effective. Not so much in Cleveland

Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM

10 posts, read 45,358 times
Stay in Lakewood. I used to work in and around Tremont.Don't fall for the hype,Treemont is nothing more than a failed project that tried to put a good light on a terrible area. If you like being near the city and are looking for a hip area I would suggest Coventry. It is much in a lot of ways Lakewood's east side counterpart.You've got your Hippies,Metal heads,Goths,college kids,yuppies and there are always a few gangbangers near by.

One more thought, I've lived all over cleveland 20 yrs. and in Lakewood for the last 10yrs until recently I Have moved to Brunswick with my 2 young sons, and although lakewood is a Very cool city that you can have a lot of fun in, It does get old and you will realize that it is a lot easier and safer to raise kids in a place less hectic than the city. At least that's how it worked out for me.

Last edited by igorvin; 10-03-2007 at 11:47 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,879 times
Default Tremont

I completely disagree with everybody that has talked down Tremont. I have lived in many great areas around the united states and, Tremont definitley holds its own with the community of people and life style it provides. People that have talked it down are just pesimistic with Cleveland... Cleveland was never my # 1 trust me, but Tremont is definitley starting a new trend for a better standard of living in the Cleveland area.
-Nathan

Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 AM

181 posts, read 838,397 times
I also completely disagree with the negativity surrounding both Tremont and Ohio City. As long as your expectations aren't that these neighborhoods will be like the plushy, all-white suburbs to the west then I don't see what the problem is.

As I said in another post, people on these boards seem to blow the negatives of the urban and inner-ring neighborhoods way out of proportion. Every areas will have some positives and some negatives; nowhere will be perfect. Expectations are key, and there are plenty of benefits to living in either Tremont and Ohio City, don't let the fear mongers around here scare you out of your decision.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:26 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1778 View Post
I also completely disagree with the negativity surrounding both Tremont and Ohio City. As long as your expectations aren't that these neighborhoods will be like the plushy, all-white suburbs to the west then I don't see what the problem is.

As I said in another post, people on these boards seem to blow the negatives of the urban and inner-ring neighborhoods way out of proportion. Every areas will have some positives and some negatives; nowhere will be perfect. Expectations are key, and there are plenty of benefits to living in either Tremont and Ohio City, don't let the fear mongers around here scare you out of your decision.
I completely agree.

Also within the Cleveland municipal district there are some standout schools, some are national Blue ribbon schools and others are magnet schools that require a 3.0 or higher GPA to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland