Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 07:47 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Following up on this just because I like when people update: I did not end up getting the job at Case I was hoping for, so looks like I will not be using info on this thread, at least for likely the next 1.5-2 years.
Sorry! Keep an eye on openings at CSU. It's closer to the West Side and jobs there likely pay more, especially if pensions are considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 PM

7 posts, read 6,152 times
Hello all my family and I will be moving to the Cleveland area in the next couple of months. I have a 7,9 and 2 year old and I am trying to narrow down schools and homes to rent since we don't want to buy a house the first year. We have narrowed it down to Solon and Hudson due to schools. My question is which would be better for a family of 5 to live in relocation from a small town and which one has better schools. My kids are transferring from private schools but I would like to try out the public schools in the area to see if I like them. My husband will be working in Hudson.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times
My guess is either of those districts will out perform your private school experience in more than a few ways.

Good luck!

My cousin grew up in Solon and her three kids (2 still attending) are there. The oldest is at OSU.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 6,152 times
Do you have any specifics on Student to teacher ratio to the these schools, I have looked it up on websites but I would like a more accurate number.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0f3 View Post
Hello all my family and I will be moving to the Cleveland area in the next couple of months. I have a 7,9 and 2 year old and I am trying to narrow down schools and homes to rent since we don't want to buy a house the first year. We have narrowed it down to Solon and Hudson due to schools. My question is which would be better for a family of 5 to live in relocation from a small town and which one has better schools. My kids are transferring from private schools but I would like to try out the public schools in the area to see if I like them. My husband will be working in Hudson.
Check out Greatschools.org for the elementary school and middle school serving your prospective residence.

Familiarize yourself with the municipal income tax for both Solon and Hudson. If you live in Solon, but have your earned income from Hudson, you might additionally have to pay a Solon residential income tax if you're not entitled to a 100 percent credit.

Check out each city's amenities, such as rec centers, community sports programs, etc. Solon has the South Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks nearby.

South Chagrin Reservation

https://clevelandmetroparks.com/park...in-reservation

Hudson is just over 10 minutes closer to Cuyahoga Valley National Park than Solon.

Check out the Wikipedia and city-data pages for each city, as well as each city's municipal government home page.

Twinsburg may be another option, especially for a single year, and here's a nationally covered event you might want to mark on your calendar:

Twins Days Festival in Twinsburg, Ohio | The World's Largest Annual Gathering of Twins! Next Festival: Aug 4-6, 2017

Media | Twins Days Festival in Twinsburg, Ohio

The commute on Route 91 may be congested between Solon and Hudson. Solon is 10 minutes closer to Cleveland pro sports and cultural offerings and the upscale shopping mecca of Beachwood Place/Legacy Village.

Post 3 here may give you a good overview of the east side of Cleveland.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Old 03-29-2017, 01:44 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times
If you are near the schools, get a tour.

If you call, they should be able to give you numbers. My guess... 18:1 (I'm in CA so if I'm close, that's pretty good). This is elementary school. High school: Maybe 25:1.

I'd look into extra curricular activities- band, sports, theatre, etc.

I know that Solon will be more diverse, which I prefer.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0f3 View Post
Do you have any specifics on Student to teacher ratio to the these schools, I have looked it up on websites but I would like a more accurate number.
Call the school district offices and ask. They likely could arrange tours as well.

Greatschools.org provides student/teacher ratios, but I would verify them. It reports 17:1 ratios for both Solon and Hudson High Schools.

Solon typically has one of the highest numbers of National Merit semi-finalists of any high school in Ohio, including private schools, suggesting stiff academic competition.

http://patch.com/ohio/solon/20-solon...semi-finalists

http://www.hudson.k12.oh.us/site/def...21758&PageID=1

Last edited by WRnative; 03-29-2017 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 07:07 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
I would base it more off the feel of the two towns relative to your preferences. I don't know much about Hudson, but I suspect it's very different from Solon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hudson is going to be more rural/small town feeling while Solon is kind of a typical big suburb.

Diversity also likely to be a big difference as someone else pointed out.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:20 PM

170 posts, read 106,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I would base it more off the feel of the two towns relative to your preferences. I don't know much about Hudson, but I suspect it's very different from Solon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hudson is going to be more rural/small town feeling while Solon is kind of a typical big suburb.

Diversity also likely to be a big difference as someone else pointed out.
Solon is definitely more suburban, but is much more pedestrian friendly. Solon really does have the feel of an east side Cleveland neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:30 PM

474 posts, read 839,787 times
Any opinions of the Oxford/Noble neighborhood of Cleveland Heights? Looks like there are some nice, well-kept properties with low price tags near Quarry and Dennison Parks.

925 Beverly Rd, Cleveland Heights, OH 44121 - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland