U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 05:08 PM

174 posts, read 300,245 times

Advertisements

I-77 is a great road to travel to Copley or Cleveland. Obviously, in this area you need to be aware of the potential for snow and ice in the winter. That can change travel time dramatically. If you are living in Brecksville or Independence (Broadview hts. is also nice, but a little further from I-77), it is a quick shot to Copley and in that area you will have little concern with rush hour traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 PM

25 posts, read 25,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianCat View Post
It looks like I may be taking a job in NW Akron(Copley area). Im trying to find a good area that may be between Akron and Cleveland. A little bit about me: Im 29 and single and will be renting. Budget is $600-$700 a month. Id like a safe area that has a decent number of restaurants, bars and shopping options. I like to run so an area with good parks or walk-able neighborhoods would be preferred. As far as commute goes I would like to keep it under 25 min with easy access to I-71 or I-77. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Just an update. I ended up finding a place in Strongsville and couldn't be happier. I really liked the area and I'm close to the SouthPark Mall and I-71. Also, I LOVE the Mill Stream Run Reservation MetroPark. My commute is 30 minutes but that's OK, Strongsville seems to offer everything I want and Im reasonably close to downtown Cleveland. Thank you for the suggestions and excited to be a new Cleveland resident!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:57 PM

174 posts, read 300,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianCat View Post
Just an update. I ended up finding a place in Strongsville and couldn't be happier. I really liked the area and I'm close to the SouthPark Mall and I-71. Also, I LOVE the Mill Stream Run Reservation MetroPark. My commute is 30 minutes but that's OK, Strongsville seems to offer everything I want and Im reasonably close to downtown Cleveland. Thank you for the suggestions and excited to be a new Cleveland resident!
Congrat's...........Strongsville is a great community and as you said, you are close to everything. The MetroPark is a real gem in the Cleveland area. There is a trail called the tow path that runs from Cleveland along the canal all the way south to Akron through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. You might want to check it out. A great ride down through Peninsula is something wonderful on a nice Saturday morning. You can stop at Zalay's Farm Market for lunch.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:06 PM

6,430 posts, read 7,779,460 times
Hi Everyone!

I received a job offer in Beachwood and my wife and I are strongly considering making the move. We are 30 and currently live in Pittsburgh's Brighton Heights neighborhood. It's not a terrible neighborhood, but we are growing tired of the petty crime and vandalism, and there is a nuisance drug dealer pretty much right across the street (complete with a SWAT team raid). So we do have some tolerance for crime, but ideally we want an area that will have less of that nonsense.

I've pretty much accepted that I'll have to switch to a driving commute with working in Beachwood. We like walkable neighborhoods, but we are expecting our first child, so our priorities are shifting from bars and restaurants to grocery stores and baby friendly places to visit (coffee, ice cream, parks, bakery, etc.).

We visited Shaker Square and Cleveland Heights (Coventry) last month. The Shaker Square/Larchmere area is our top contender, but it seems like rentals are mostly limited to apartments. We're hoping to rent a house so we don't have to worry about disturbing people with a crying baby, parking far away with a baby, or dealing with shared laundry. We currently own, so this is just a place to stay for 6-18 months until we find a place to buy. Are there any other areas we should consider? I see some cheaper homes between Milverton and Kinsman. How is that area?

Here's a quick list of our criteria:
  • < $1500 (ideally more like $800...our current mortgage is just $350)
  • < 30 minute commute to Beachwood during rush hour
  • Walkable to grocery store, coffee shop, etc.
  • 30 year old new parents will fit in (Coventry felt very college-y)
  • Able to have two cars (street parking is fine if it's relatively plentiful)

And on a related note, if we do go for an apartment around Shaker Square, is there any reason to choose Cleveland over Shaker Heights or vice versa? Keep in mind we do not care about schools right now.

Thank you!

Old 08-07-2017, 07:36 AM

10,122 posts, read 9,697,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Hi Everyone!

I received a job offer in Beachwood and my wife and I are strongly considering making the move. We are 30 and currently live in Pittsburgh's Brighton Heights neighborhood. It's not a terrible neighborhood, but we are growing tired of the petty crime and vandalism, and there is a nuisance drug dealer pretty much right across the street (complete with a SWAT team raid). So we do have some tolerance for crime, but ideally we want an area that will have less of that nonsense.

I've pretty much accepted that I'll have to switch to a driving commute with working in Beachwood. We like walkable neighborhoods, but we are expecting our first child, so our priorities are shifting from bars and restaurants to grocery stores and baby friendly places to visit (coffee, ice cream, parks, bakery, etc.).

We visited Shaker Square and Cleveland Heights (Coventry) last month. The Shaker Square/Larchmere area is our top contender, but it seems like rentals are mostly limited to apartments. We're hoping to rent a house so we don't have to worry about disturbing people with a crying baby, parking far away with a baby, or dealing with shared laundry. We currently own, so this is just a place to stay for 6-18 months until we find a place to buy. Are there any other areas we should consider? I see some cheaper homes between Milverton and Kinsman. How is that area?

And on a related note, if we do go for an apartment around Shaker Square, is there any reason to choose Cleveland over Shaker Heights or vice versa? Keep in mind we do not care about schools right now.

Thank you!
I'd live off Larchmere over Coventry personally. Though if I were in your situation I'd probably look more at Cedar-Lee in Cleveland Heights or Fairmount Circle in University/Shaker. As for anywhere around Kinsman- no.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:30 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,988,395 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Thank you!
This thread may be helpful, especially post 3. Definitely consider Ohio municipal income taxes both for Beachwood and your city of residence (you may be subject to a residential income tax as well as a workplace income tax).

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Shaker Hts. neighborhoods off Van Aken or Chagrin, Univ. Hts., Mayfield, South Euclid, Lyndhurst, and Willoughby in Lake County may offer options in your price range. Other Lake County options might include Eastlake, Willowick, and Wickliffe. Neighborhoods can vary greatly within the same city.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...rcer-area.html

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Shaker-Hts.-Oh_rb/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/University-Hts.-Oh_rb/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Mayfield-Oh_rb/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Willowick-OH_rb/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Willoughby-OH_rb/

As you don't care about schools, Euclid, OH, near Lakeshore Blvd. may offer some great values.

I'm not certain about this Euclid neighborhood, but it's convenient to I-271.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...89_rect/12_zm/

I don't know much about Richmond Hts. these days, but it also may offer some good deals.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Thank you. We'll be taking a better look at Cleveland Heights on our next trip. That seems to have the best combo of rental availability, price range, and walkability. Are there any areas to avoid?

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the RITA tax situation. It sounds like my job will withhold 2% for Beachwood, and then Cleveland Heights would credit me for 1% point of that, and I would owe the remaining 1.25% to Cleveland Heights as a self-payment come tax time?

Also, what about the very southwest portion of Shaker Heights proper? It's still near Milverton & Kinsman, but is there a big difference between the city side and the suburb side?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM

10,122 posts, read 9,697,446 times
Quote:

Also, what about the very southwest portion of Shaker Heights proper? It's still near Milverton & Kinsman, but is there a big difference between the city side and the suburb side?
Ah, the "other side of the tracks." Nope, wouldn't recommend. Hop across the blue line north east a smidge. It's better.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,988,395 times
Quote:
I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the RITA tax situation. It sounds like my job will withhold 2% for Beachwood, and then Cleveland Heights would credit me for 1% point of that, and I would owe the remaining 1.25% to Cleveland Heights as a self-payment come tax time?
Without researching, your conclusion seems very possible. Call RITA to confirm.

However, you are required to pay estimated taxes, just as with the federal income tax. Your employer might withhold and remit directly to Cleveland Hts., but that's doubtful.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ah, the "other side of the tracks." Nope, wouldn't recommend. Hop across the blue line north east a smidge. It's better.
Thanks. As much as we liked Shaker, the rental market for single family homes is just so limited. We'll have to wait until we are buying in a year or so to look around there I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland