U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 PM
 
6,430 posts, read 7,782,946 times
Reputation: 4458

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Without researching, your conclusion seems very possible. Call RITA to confirm.

However, you are required to pay estimated taxes, just as with the federal income tax. Your employer might withhold and remit directly to Cleveland Hts., but that's doubtful.
Like I would prepay a year's worth of taxes? Or I am expected to send monthly or quarterly checks or something? Sounds like a lot of hassle, much more hassle than I am used to for municipal income tax. Guess I'll have to learn it and live with it, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Beachwood, OH
1,135 posts, read 1,629,769 times
Reputation: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Like I would prepay a year's worth of taxes? Or I am expected to send monthly or quarterly checks or something? Sounds like a lot of hassle, much more hassle than I am used to for municipal income tax. Guess I'll have to learn it and live with it, though.
As I recall, there's a year or so lag before they start sending you the bills. So you might end up paying all of year 1 at once and then you'd pay quarterly estimates after that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 AM
 
10,045 posts, read 6,999,593 times
Reputation: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Like I would prepay a year's worth of taxes? Or I am expected to send monthly or quarterly checks or something? Sounds like a lot of hassle, much more hassle than I am used to for municipal income tax. Guess I'll have to learn it and live with it, though.
Quarterly, just as with the federal income tax, and they assess a penalty for not paying the estimated tax.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM
 
34 posts, read 18,208 times
Reputation: 54
Default Willoughby considered "Cleveland" area?

I'm mulling a move to the east side and considering several employers. I've read that if I live in Willoughby (or nearby areas) there is a residence "credit" that would counter any income tax incurred from working in a township(?) that levies such tax. Am I correct?

I'd actually prefer further away from the highway and any railroads. But perfect would still have sidewalks yet more 'elbow room'. However, the tax thing is major. I'll pay 3-4% but start piling on, like Columbus, and a town is quickly off my list.

Thanks for any feedback. I know a lot about the weather already.


Cheers,

WingDing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 PM
 
10,045 posts, read 6,999,593 times
Reputation: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDing11 View Post
I'm mulling a move to the east side and considering several employers. I've read that if I live in Willoughby (or nearby areas) there is a residence "credit" that would counter any income tax incurred from working in a township(?) that levies such tax. Am I correct?

I'd actually prefer further away from the highway and any railroads. But perfect would still have sidewalks yet more 'elbow room'. However, the tax thing is major. I'll pay 3-4% but start piling on, like Columbus, and a town is quickly off my list.

Thanks for any feedback. I know a lot about the weather already.


Cheers,

WingDing
Ohio townships generally don't have income taxes.

So my understanding is any residential tax credit is irrelevant if you don't pay a municipal income tax where you work, and so you would have to pay the city income tax in the city of your residence. However, call the taxing authority for your city of residence for clarification.

Townships near Willoughby would include Chester, Chardon and Hambden Township in Geauga County and Painesville and Concord Townships in Lake County. If you worked in a township and lived in one of these townships, you likely would not have to pay a municipal income tax. There may be exceptions for school income taxes, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM
 
25 posts, read 25,909 times
Reputation: 45
I was wondering how locals navigate around I-80. I've never lived in an area with a toll road so I'm not sure what the rates are or how they operate. I'm considering using I-80 for my commute to work but not sure if its worth it. Ill be basically using the stretch of I-80 between I-71 and I-77. Is there some sort of pass I can buy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 06:08 PM
 
28 posts, read 20,181 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianCat View Post
I was wondering how locals navigate around I-80. I've never lived in an area with a toll road so I'm not sure what the rates are or how they operate. I'm considering using I-80 for my commute to work but not sure if its worth it. Ill be basically using the stretch of I-80 between I-71 and I-77. Is there some sort of pass I can buy?
Get an Ezpass. Google ezpass Ohio for details. You will save money and it will be more convenient.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 06:15 PM
 
28 posts, read 20,181 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianCat View Post
I was wondering how locals navigate around I-80. I've never lived in an area with a toll road so I'm not sure what the rates are or how they operate. I'm considering using I-80 for my commute to work but not sure if its worth it. Ill be basically using the stretch of I-80 between I-71 and I-77. Is there some sort of pass I can buy?
To find out if taking the turnpike is worth it, get the Waze app on your smartphone if you have one. Some day when you are home before the time you will be going to work put your work address in the search and see how long it takes. Then change the settings to avoid toll roads and do it again. Then it's up to you if the time saved by using the turnpike is worth the cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 PM
 
25 posts, read 25,909 times
Reputation: 45
Thank you this helps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 AM
 
66 posts, read 87,322 times
Reputation: 23
Just received a job offer in wickliffe area. Can you guys enlighten me on some possible good locations to find an apartment? Single black male, late twenties, keep to myself (not the party type), 3rd shift job if that helps at all. Financially, id like to keep rent sub 650/month if possible. Moving solo, no kids, spouse/gf.

Looking to stay within ten miles of Wickliffe if possible.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top