U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-28-2017, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Kent, Ohio
174 posts, read 300,413 times
Reputation: 152

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
It all depends on what you’re looking for. The East Side has the eclectic, artsy, and well-off, but high property tax, Heights (Cleveland Heights, University Heights, Shaker Heights). The I-90 corridor in Lake County has some nice middle class suburbs, with lower taxes. Further out you have suburbs like Beachwood and Solon to the east, and Rocky River, Westlake, and Avon to the west. Then you have rising city neighborhoods like Ohio City, Tremont, Detroit Shoreway, Waterloo. If Lakewood is your jam, I’d say Cleveland Heights is the most comparable area.
I would stay away from Cleveland city neighborhoods unless you are very familiar with the area. I am not knocking them, but you really need to know them well or you risk getting into an area that may not be as nice as it may seem. Now, if you are talking about downtown, that is another story. There are some really nice trendy apartments and condo's downtown (what you see is what you get), but they can be a little pricey. The funny thing about the Cleveland area is that while real estate prices are generally lower than a lot of other major cities, rent often isn't.
The southern suburbs are very nice with reasonable prices in Seven Hills, Broadview Heights, Brecksville, etc. and in close proximity to downtown with I-77 being a straight shot and bus lines running along Broadview Road (SR 176) and Brecksville Rd (SR 21).
I agree with the previous post in other areas and again, it all depends upon what you desire.
Best of luck!!!
Dave
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2017, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
10,122 posts, read 9,706,162 times
Reputation: 9293
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDog2 View Post
I would stay away from Cleveland city neighborhoods unless you are very familiar with the area. I am not knocking them, but you really need to know them well or you risk getting into an area that may not be as nice as it may seem. Now, if you are talking about downtown, that is another story. There are some really nice trendy apartments and condo's downtown (what you see is what you get), but they can be a little pricey. The funny thing about the Cleveland area is that while real estate prices are generally lower than a lot of other major cities, rent often isn't.
The southern suburbs are very nice with reasonable prices in Seven Hills, Broadview Heights, Brecksville, etc. and in close proximity to downtown with I-77 being a straight shot and bus lines running along Broadview Road (SR 176) and Brecksville Rd (SR 21).
I agree with the previous post in other areas and again, it all depends upon what you desire.
Best of luck!!!
Dave
Well, if the poster likes the Lakewood vibe, I don't think I'd recommend any of those options listed. If the poster doesn't really care one way or the other, then maybe places like Brecksville would work. But Cleverfield is correct that Lakewood and Cleveland Heights are most comparable to each other.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Kent, Ohio
174 posts, read 300,413 times
Reputation: 152
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well, if the poster likes the Lakewood vibe, I don't think I'd recommend any of those options listed. If the poster doesn't really care one way or the other, then maybe places like Brecksville would work. But Cleverfield is correct that Lakewood and Cleveland Heights are most comparable to each other.
Yes, I agree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
11 posts, read 12,841 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I just got tickets to fly out Dec. 13! My cousin is taking me to my 2nd Browns game!!!!! She knows I am a Mexican Food snob (I live on the coast in CA) so she recommended La Carnieca...something in Lakewood. I am crossing my fingers because in the past nothing compared to where I eat here. She is also going to cruise me around some hip neighborhoods. She KNOWS that I'd like to move there, but my wife is a CA girl. That said, maybe I can sell it a bit easier if we have good Mexican food.

I am so stoked about the game and weekend! I never get there in December. Maybe it'll rain?? I hope so. It does not rain here. Snow? I'd like that as well.

If you think of a must, let me know. I've done the tourist stuff over the years downtown- RRollHall, Freighter, etc. I want to see a few nice areas where a home is not over a million and has amenities...library, coffee houses, walking to all, bike lanes, real produce, etc.

Lakewood is a great place, you should have a good time. Typically around this time we have feets of snow but this year the temperature has been really cool, low 50s, and 60s so I doubt you'll see snow. Come back in January though and I guarantee you'll be buried in Snow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
10,122 posts, read 9,706,162 times
Reputation: 9293
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebullets View Post
Typically around this time we have feets of snow
That's not true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 AM
 
Location: cleveland
2,365 posts, read 3,927,633 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebullets View Post
Lakewood is a great place, you should have a good time. Typically around this time we have feets of snow but this year the temperature has been really cool, low 50s, and 60s so I doubt you'll see snow. Come back in January though and I guarantee you'll be buried in Snow.
We don't have feet of snow (unless an early storm). We are going into a very cold. The next two weeks with a chance of snow this weekend so you might get your wish for the Browns game.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:26 AM
 
4 posts, read 2,633 times
Reputation: 10
Hi everyone, looking for potential neighborhood recommendations for a possible move to Cleveland in early-mid March. 28 single female and two dogs, coming from two years in Philly. Potential job would be near CSU. I’d like to be in the city or very close to it, but not in a college student heavy area. I like the idea of a walkable area, but am hoping to stay under $800 in rent for a 1+ bedroom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 11:48 AM
 
10,045 posts, read 6,999,593 times
Reputation: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelisland View Post
Hi everyone, looking for potential neighborhood recommendations for a possible move to Cleveland in early-mid March. 28 single female and two dogs, coming from two years in Philly. Potential job would be near CSU. I’d like to be in the city or very close to it, but not in a college student heavy area. I like the idea of a walkable area, but am hoping to stay under $800 in rent for a 1+ bedroom.
I don't know about $800, especially with dogs, but check out the Playhouse Square area adjacent to CSU.

https://www.rent.com/ohio/cleveland-...kGBA&gclsrc=ds

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...usesquare.html

http://www.downtowncleveland.com/live

http://www.clevelandgatewaydistrict.com/

http://www.cleveland.com/architectur...adding_re.html

The Gateway District would be my second choice, only because because it's a couple blocks further west from CSU. The Warehouse District, Civic Center, and East 9th districts also would be OK. Check out the free downtown bus trolleys, but no guarantee they'll survive. The 24/7 Healthline bus rapid is a key mass transit artery that runs around Public Square and down Euclid Ave., through the Gateway District, Playhouse Square district and the CSU campus to University Circle. If I were a 28-year-old woman, I'm not certain that I would like the admittedly short walk from the Reserve Square to Euclid Ave., even though Reserve Square is an impressive complex.

http://www.riderta.com/routes/trolley

My reservations are based on my experiences working downtown, admittedly several decades ago, and downtown has changed greatly (the Chesterfield on East 12th was about the only downtown apartment building before Reserve Square was built). In fairness, I had only one incident downtown, but it was surprisingly on East 12th St. with an aggressive panhandler with a knife, and it was on the same block as the Union Club (where I was headed for a business meeting) in the late afternoon; the Union Club is the bastion of Cleveland's wealthy and business elite. I handled it well, but I wasn't a 28-year-old woman. Perhaps it was an anomaly, but East 12th is not a major artery and I don't believe it has much pedestrian traffic. I also knew of a couple cars stolen from Walnut Ave.

If you don't mind a longer commute, check out Lakewood and the Cleveland State bus rapid (use Google Transit to check mass transit connections between your work place and prospective place of residence) line at the RTA website.

The Edgewater area of Cleveland would be another option, closer than Lakewood, but I'm not as familiar with it as I am with downtown.

https://www.rent.com/ohio/cleveland-...r-neighborhood

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...beach_hou.html

https://clevelandmetroparks.com/park...dgewater-beach

Check out Ohio municipal income taxes (2.5 percent in Cleveland) as there also is a potential residence tax if you live in a different city than where you will work.

BTW, the Cleveland State recreation center offers memberships to the public, and the downtown YMCA is in the Galleria Arcade on East 9th St. There are other fitness centers downtown, but without pools.

https://www.csuohio.edu/recreationce...creationcenter

Last edited by WRnative; 02-03-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,633 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for those recommendations! I was in Playhouse Square when I visited a few weeks ago and I did enjoy it. The tax issue is a concern for me which is why I’m hoping to stay in Cleveland. Safety is also a concern since I do have to walk dogs at night, but living in Philly now has made me able to handle typical city crime pretty well. I will look into Edgewater!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 04:47 PM
 
4,822 posts, read 4,210,154 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelisland View Post
Hi everyone, looking for potential neighborhood recommendations for a possible move to Cleveland in early-mid March. 28 single female and two dogs, coming from two years in Philly. Potential job would be near CSU. I’d like to be in the city or very close to it, but not in a college student heavy area. I like the idea of a walkable area, but am hoping to stay under $800 in rent for a 1+ bedroom.
Where are at in Philly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top