U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 02:59 PM

9,824 posts, read 9,110,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl81 View Post
Moving to Cleveland at the beginning of April. I am single, no kids, no pets, in my mid 30s. I will just be renting. Budget is $1,100 depending on amenities and parking. I would like an area with some foot traffic, bars, and restaurants within walking distance. I have my own car and I know parking in downtown can be quite expensive.

I've been looking at downtown from warehouse district to playhouse square. also looking at Ohio City.

Any pros and cons to those areas? Other areas I should look at? I'll be commuting to Chagrin Falls for work.

Thanks for any help. I'm headed that way in a couple weeks to look at places.
Are you sure you wouldn't like Chagrin Falls to live? It's very walkable with a lot going on.

If you can make Ohio City happen, that would be my preference personally. Ohio City has a ton of stuff. SO does downtown, but Ohio City just feels more like a community to me.

You may want to consider Little Italy though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 PM

9,587 posts, read 6,328,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl81 View Post
I would like an area with some foot traffic, bars, and restaurants within walking distance. I have my own car and I know parking in downtown can be quite expensive.

I've been looking at downtown from warehouse district to playhouse square. also looking at Ohio City.

Any pros and cons to those areas? Other areas I should look at? I'll be commuting to Chagrin Falls for work.
Have you checked out Chagrin Falls rentals? Very walkable and perhaps northeast Ohio's most charming community, with downtown bars and restaurants. You could live there for a year and get a chance to explore northeast Ohio. At Zillow.com, I saw a 1 BR rental there for under $700/mo. With the time saved commuting, you could visit Ohio City and other neighborhoods frequently.

Ohio City certainly would not be as safe as Chagrin Falls. Go to Cleveland.com and search for various types of crime in Ohio City. I'm not saying Ohio City is dangerous, especially in the Market District, but you definitely need your urban wits/radar with you.

There isn't a direct commuting route from Ohio City or downtown to Chagrin Falls, which is a somewhat difficult place to reach in its own right during rush hours.

Alternatives that come to mind that are mentioned frequently in this forum include Shaker Square/Larchmere and the Van Aken area of Shaker Heights (rents in the latter area may be out of your price range, but check out Zillow.com. Checking Google transit, even these areas would only cut your commute by only 10-15 minutes compared to Ohio City.

So the Mayfield Road/I-271 area may offer your best bet, it would meet all of your criteria but it definitely has the feeling of suburban strip. Living there for a year also would give you a chance to explore northeastern Ohio. There are some decent entertainment options in that area. You also could drive to a Blue or Green Line rail station and take the rapid downtown. It's also only 20 minutes from Coventry Village, Little Italy, University Circle, etc. It likely has bus service to downtown/connections with rail rapid stations; check Google Transit available at the RTA home page.

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland...orhood=1430812

North Union Farmers Market

I would definitely check out Solon, even though I'm not certain it's a good fit for you as a family-oriented town, but it offers a very short commute. Perhaps check out Aurora as well.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,863 times
Hi all! I recently accepted a position at the Cleveland Clinic (main campus). My partner and I are in our late 20s/early 30s and looking to rent in a lively and relatively safe area. We are open to either being in a complex or house as long as it meets the main things we are looking for: 1-2 beds, ~$1,200/month max, covered parking for 2 cars, dishwasher, in-unit laundry, plus some sort of outdoor space would be great. I would like to be no more than a 15min drive from work, ideally, but definitely open to taking public transportation instead if easier. Some questions for you all....

-In terms of neighborhood, so far we are thinking Tremont, Ohio City, and the Gordon Sq. area, plus open to Downtown. Any other recommendations?

-We are thinking about coming in for a few days in the last week of June to apartment hunt and secure a lease- is this reasonable timing for a mid- to late-August move?

-Can we do the apartment hunt independently (e.g. contact apartments of interest through sites like Zillow, Craigslist) or should we secure a realtor? Would prefer to avoid the extra cost of a realtor if possible.

-Any other considerations we should be aware of that have not been mentioned here?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2020 at 03:11 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee103 View Post
Hi all! I recently accepted a position at the Cleveland Clinic (main campus). My partner and I are in our late 20s/early 30s and looking to rent in a lively and relatively safe area. We are open to either being in a complex or house as long as it meets the main things we are looking for: 1-2 beds, ~$1,200/month max, covered parking for 2 cars, dishwasher, in-unit laundry, plus some sort of outdoor space would be great. I would like to be no more than a 15min drive from work, ideally, but definitely open to taking public transportation instead if easier. Some questions for you all....

-In terms of neighborhood, so far we are thinking Tremont, Ohio City, and the Gordon Sq. area, plus open to Downtown. Any other recommendations?

-We are thinking about coming in for a few days in the last week of June to apartment hunt and secure a lease- is this reasonable timing for a mid- to late-August move?

-Can we do the apartment hunt independently (e.g. contact apartments of interest through sites like Zillow, Craigslist) or should we secure a realtor? Would prefer to avoid the extra cost of a realtor if possible.

-Any other considerations we should be aware of that have not been mentioned here?

Thanks so much!
This thread offers great information on neighborhoods convenient to the Cleveland Clinic; see especially post 3.

Compendium of threads & posts on Univ. Circle, Cleveland Hts., Shaker Ht., Univ. Hts., Beachwood area

If you plan to drive to work, check commute times personally during your work hours, and consider that commutes will be longer during winter storms. Find the address of the Cleveland Clinic campus building where you will work and definitely your assigned parking lot, which may be a long walk or a shuttle ride from your building. You can use Google Transit, available at the RTA home page, to check mass transit options and commute times.

You may be able to rent a house in University Hts. for $1,200/mo. Shaker Square/Larchmere definitely would be a possibility; check out the Shaker Lakes and Nature Center at Shaker Lakes, easily walkable using the Green Line rail rapid from Shaker Square. Shaker Square and part of Larchmere is in Cleveland so you wouldn't have to deal with multiple municipal income taxes (i.e., residential taxes and residential credits payable in a suburb in addition to municipal employment taxes paid in Cleveland).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...ect/13_zm/2_p/

Shaker Taxes

Perhaps add Lakewood's Gold Coast to your list of neighborhoods. For open areas in or very near Lakewood, check out Edgewater Park and the Rocky River Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks and Lakewood Park, Check Google Transit for commute times if you use mass transit. Lakewood would offer very reasonable rents. However, it's a 35-minute drive. The Edgewater neighborhood of Cleveland is closer to the Clinic and Edgewater Park, and it's in Cleveland, so again a residential municipal income tax is not an issue (Lakewood may have a full residential credit so no residential income tax would be paid if you work in a different city; check if interested in Lakewood).

Best Neighborhoods for Public Transport

Other threads:

living in Cleveland, walkability essential.

where to find short-term, furnished, pet-friendly housing for 3 months?

Covered parking for two cars may be difficult, especially for rental of an older home and isn't really a necessity, especially most of the year.

These travel articles may be dated, but still useful (e.g., you'll likely want to use the Healthline bus rapid, not the Red Line rail rapid, if commuting by mass transit from the west side). And note that the Clinic does NOT offer free parking to employees at the main campus. Have you considered a satellite campus, or splitting time between the main campus and a satellite campus?).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...portation.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...nd.Clinic.html

Definitely check out the Greater University Circle rental options very carefully; surely the Cleveland Clinic offers relocation support and area rental information. For open space, consider the Wade Oval and the new Nord Greenway under construction, the Cleveland Museum of Art Fine Arts Garden, and the Cleveland Botanical Garden (beautiful summer gardens; membership also provides access to the wonderful Holden Arboretum in Kirtland). Also check out the Cleveland Cultural Gardens (not an area where I would run by myself), and Gordon Park of the Cleveland Metroparks Lakefront Reservation.

http://www.universitycircle.org/live/for-rent

http://www.universitycircle.org/destinations/wade-oval

http://case.edu/nordgreenway/

https://www.clevelandart.org/magazin...ne-arts-garden

http://www.cbgarden.org/

http://www.clevelandculturalgardens.org/gardens/

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/...rk-boat-launch

There are rentals available outside of University Circle proper, but very nearby the Cleveland Clinic, much of which is technically not in University Circle, but well within the Greater University Circle area in rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods. Check out the Greater Unversity Circle initiative here.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...s_greater.html

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2020 at 03:11 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee103 View Post

One concern about waiting to late June is that students at Case Western and several other University Circle educational institutions also will be lining up housing in the University Circle area for fall occupancy. I would come in May, perhaps even mid-May, although Memorial Day weekend would be fun.

Compilation of visitor experiences in Cleveland

I don't know how realtors work when searching for apartments. They may be paid by apartment owners with no exclusivity contract required. However, you might end up paying more the apartment. Everybody I know has always looked on their own.

Again, definitely research the availability of Cleveland Clinic relocation services and the specific services available.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/ccf/m...g-brochure.PDF

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/repro...lguide2003.pdf

http://portals.clevelandclinic.org/P...7_Nutshell.pdf

Check apartment reviews for any apartment under consideration. The price/location of the Shaker East Apartments caught my eye, but I know little about the building and especially nearby bus stops offering service to the Cleveland Clinic (again, check Google Transit AND RTA bus schedules for both weekday and weekend service; you always could take the Blue/Green lines downtown and switch to the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid to go back to the Clinic). If it's a short walk from Larchmere and Shaker Square, it could be a fun location.

Larchmere

https://www.rentcafe.com/off-campus-...c-main-campus/

If you visit, definitely buy RTA day passes and explore the various rail transit lines and the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid (and the Cleveland State bus rapid line if looking at Edgewater Park and/or Lakewood).

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2020 at 03:12 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 03:49 PM

1,002 posts, read 868,703 times
I know you said, 1200 max, but consider if you live downtown, you won't need a car, which saves a lot.

Either way, good luck!

My condo is rented, but the lease is up in a month. She might not renew. It's downtown. 2 bed 2 bath. Great view of Tower Building. However, it's 1300 per month. Just food for thought. Near W. 6th and St. Clair. FYI.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
My condo is rented, but the lease is up in a month. She might not renew. It's downtown. 2 bed 2 bath. Great view of Tower Building. However, it's 1300 per month. Just food for thought. Near W. 6th and St. Clair. FYI.
Does your condo rent include all HVAC, water and sewer, everything except electricity, as do many Cleveland condos that were conversions?

That would be worth more than $100/month if other rental units under consideration, such as a rental house, make all utilities the tenant's responsibility.

What's the monthly charge for parking in your condo association and can tenants rent two spaces?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:56 AM

6,381 posts, read 7,504,289 times
I think you might have to sacrifice on covered parking, or at least expand your budget to pay for it.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Winter car "hacks" when lacking a garage

Buy a spray bottle and save hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, annually in garage rental fees:

Home remedy melts ice off windshield in seconds - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Here are some other winter hacks, none of which I've tried.

wkyc.com | Cold car hacks to warm you up

Admittedly, covered roofs also protect cars from the heat of the sun, an issue if you're cars will be parked at your apartment during the day, and also from potential hale damage, not a frequent issue here, but possible.

When I'm approaching home or any other destination (such as a mall), I open the windows when several blocks from my destination to cool the interior of the car off. This reduces the risk of snow melting on windshields and then freezing. It lowers the passenger cabin humidity, minimizing interior frosting of windshields. In a severe ice storm, perhaps twice a year, you may still have to spray something on your windshield to remove ice, but I normally can clear it with a good scraper (1-2 feet in length with no extension) in a couple minutes.

However, most of the time I do park in a garage when really bad weather is anticipated....

Old 03-05-2018, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,863 times
Thanks, all, so much for all of the helpful information and input!! We know covered parking for 2 cars will be hard to come by, so we will certainly stay open-minded about that. We are both originally from the northeast and are all too familiar with the many joys of snow impacting morning commute. Admittedly, we are now spoiled after spending the last few years in the south, so the idea of digging out our cars to get to work in the morning sounds like a nightmare - but we will adapt if we must. Thanks again, this has been extremely helpful! Really looking forward to joining the Cleveland community soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland