U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 3,643 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am moving to Cleveland with my family this summer from the Northeast and wondering if you can help me with suggestions for where to live.

1. Working at Cleveland Clinic
2. Have a baby (hope to be somewhere stroller friendly, perhaps near a park or library?)
3. Safety is very important, avoiding noise (as our current apartment is super loud with constant construction) is second
4. Hoping to be in a diverse neighborhood of professionals

I have seen house rentals online in Shaker Heights and Beachwood...don't know whether there will be more coming out soon but currently not many 3 bedroom/2 baths/renovated places. I was thinking of Cleveland Heights and University Heights as well but are they full of students?

Does anyone know or have an opinion on Park Lane Villa (it's currently our back up option if can't find a house to rent)? Mostly I don't know about the safety of the area (will I be able to walk with my baby to Wade Oval? Is the construction around area still ongoing? Are the walls too thin?) Or any suggestions of better apartments to look at?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 PM

10,045 posts, read 6,999,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeacrocat View Post
Hi all, I am moving to Cleveland with my family this summer from the Northeast and wondering if you can help me with suggestions for where to live.

2. Have a baby (hope to be somewhere stroller friendly, perhaps near a park or library?)
3. Safety is very important, avoiding noise (as our current apartment is super loud with constant construction) is second

I have seen house rentals online in Shaker Heights and Beachwood...don't know whether there will be more coming out soon but currently not many 3 bedroom/2 baths/renovated places. I was thinking of Cleveland Heights and University Heights as well but are they full of students?

Does anyone know or have an opinion on Park Lane Villa (it's currently our back up option if can't find a house to rent)? Mostly I don't know about the safety of the area (will I be able to walk with my baby to Wade Oval? Is the construction around area still ongoing? Are the walls too thin?) Or any suggestions of better apartments to look at?
See post 353 and replies.

I wouldn't be thrilled with walking from Park Lane to Wade Oval. Technically, I don't believe that area is even within University Circle, and therefore isn't under the jurisdiction of the University Circle Police Department, which is distinct from and supplements the Cleveland Police Department in University Circle.

Given your concerns and desires, definitely call the University Circle and ask about their jurisdiction boundaries. Anything within the UCPD jurisdiction generally is considered safe, especially given significant additional police forces at Case Western, University Hospitals and the Cleveland Clinic, but University Circle remains an urban area....

University Circle Police Department

Cleveland Heights definitely is not full of students, but it is up somewhat steep hills from University Circle. There are good bus lines, however. Check out Coventry Village and Cedar Fairmount here.

http://www.clevelandheights.com/360/...cial-Districts

Don't forget about municipal income taxes in Ohio as you might have to pay an additional residential income tax if you live in a suburb while working in Cleveland.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 AM

6,430 posts, read 7,782,946 times
Quote:
This was almost exactly our situation about half a year ago. We rented in Shaker Square (love the neighborhood, don't like our apartment company so much) and now are buying in Shaker Heights. I cannot overstate just how family friendly Shaker Heights is.

There are a lot of duplex rentals in the Lomond and Sussex neighborhoods in Shaker Heights if you don't want to go the apartment route. That area is full of young families. The Family Center would be a great thing for you to walk to with your baby. The Shaker Library is also a wonderful resource for young kids. And there would be some other stuff to walk to in Shaker Town Center and the Van Aken District (ice cream, restaurants, etc.)

UH and CH are also good options for the most part. We found some decent rental options near Cain Park. I'd target those areas, which are called Cedar-Lee and Cedar-Taylor. I would avoid Coventry and Cedar Fairmount due to the student vibe; those areas make us feel old and we're barely 30.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the replies! Do you guys have any recommendations for good daycares that start as young as 18 months on the East side (Shaker Heights, UH/CH, Beachwood)? I couldn't find many, which leads me to think most people just have nannies for younger children?

Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! Do you guys have any recommendations for good daycares that start as young as 18 months on the East side (Shaker Heights, UH/CH, Beachwood)? I couldn't find many, which leads me to think most people just have nannies for younger children?
We are in your shoes on that front. We've toured a few places, but they've all been full or otherwise don't meet our needs. Most of them seem to accept as young as 6 weeks, so you shouldn't have any trouble age wise at least. There's also a number of in-home day cares. I've spotted some yard signs in the Lomond/Sussex areas but haven't actually contacted any of them yet.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Have you checked with the Cleveland Clinic?

KinderCare Learning Center at University Circle | Daycare, Preschool & Early Education in Cleveland, OH | KinderCare

For kids that are toilet-trained and at least 3-years-old, there is the Cleveland Music Settlement in University Circle.

The Music Settlement

Old 03-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Will you be at the main Cleveland Clinic campus?

Old 03-10-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Will you be at the main Cleveland Clinic campus?
Yes, main campus. There is no official CCF day care that I could find...wish there were. Would make things a lot easier. Debating whether Beachwood would be a better choice for newer houses, seems to have a strong sense of community like SH, but is slightly further away. Is there a need to get a realtor to find a house rental (as opposed to apartment)?

Last edited by adobeacrocat; 03-10-2018 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 PM

Default Nextdoor

I've never used this website, but it's supposedly excellent for checking out neighborhoods and asking questions.

https://nextdoor.com/city/shaker-heights--oh/

I do wonder if residents might sugar coat their neighborhoods for prospective buyers.

It's tough to write critical comments about your own neighborhood/community, especially if you plan to put your house on the market in the near future.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:47 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,629,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
We are in your shoes on that front. We've toured a few places, but they've all been full or otherwise don't meet our needs. Most of them seem to accept as young as 6 weeks, so you shouldn't have any trouble age wise at least. There's also a number of in-home day cares. I've spotted some yard signs in the Lomond/Sussex areas but haven't actually contacted any of them yet.
I'd get on the list now for ECEC (Early Childhood Enrichment Center) - it was the best option for us in the area. And +1 rent in Shaker Heights for now. If you're staying long term, you can look to buy in Shaker or Beachwood when you're closer to school age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland