U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 04:23 PM

9,581 posts, read 6,323,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
I believe Mentor is one of the places the Shaker Heights High School football team encountered racism and verbal abuse. We also have friends who've moved to that area and stated similar sentiments.
Do you know, or simply believe, that the SH football team encountered racism or verbal abuse in Mentor? What was the form of the racism? I find it a little suspect as there are African Americans on the Mentor football team.

Also, what about Willoughby which you also accused of being racist despite a significant African American student population?

Candidly, I suspect there are some racists in both Shaker Hts., and more especially in Beachwood and Solon.

Quote:
Not sure how seeing black folks at the barber shop discounts that in anyway?
Barber shops are one of the last bastions of American segregation. So when I see African Americans friendly received in a barber shop in a largely Caucasian community with some strong ethnic undertones (one of the barbers was born in Croatia), I find it encouraging and indicative of a positive racial situation in a community.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-14-2019 at 05:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Default U.S. Census Burea Quick Facts

Here's a great source for information about any community with a population of over 5,000.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045217

Also, check out city-data profiles.

//www.city-data.com/city/Ohio.html

Zillow.com offers house market profiles for most communities.

https://www.zillow.com/shaker-heights-oh/home-values/

Old 02-15-2019, 10:08 AM

227 posts, read 119,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Do you know, or simply believe, that the SH football team encountered racism or verbal abuse in Mentor? What was the form of the racism? I find it a little suspect as there are African Americans on the Mentor football team.

Also, what about Willoughby which you also accused of being racist despite a significant African American student population?

Candidly, I suspect there are some racists in both Shaker Hts., and more especially in Beachwood and Solon.

Barber shops are one of the last bastions of American segregation. So when I see African Americans friendly received in a barber shop in a largely Caucasian community with some strong ethnic undertones (one of the barbers was born in Croatia), I find it encouraging and indicative of a positive racial situation in a community.
Really not sure what your agenda is here. Do you live in one of these communities?

I explained that we have friends that moved to the Mentor area and both they and their kids experienced some pretty horrible stuff. Yes, they mentioned that Mentor was one of the places the SH team was racially accosted. Yes their kids experienced it themselves and they are now seeking to move elsewhere.

I have a neighbor who grew up in that area and confirmed those sentiments and included Willoughby. Hence me bringing it up to azureloves since they are seeking a racially inclusive community. Why is that a problem?

Quote:
Sure, but it seems like you're saying that because racism can happen anywhere folks shouldn't seek to live in more racially diverse and welcoming areas. So there is no difference in your mind between Mentor and Shaker Heights? North Ridgeville vs Solon? Westlake vs Beachwood?

Honestly, I'm going to leave this discussion because I don't like where it's going.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Really not sure what your agenda is here. Do you live in one of these communities?

I explained that we have friends that moved to the Mentor area and both they and their kids experienced some pretty horrible stuff. Yes, they mentioned that Mentor was one of the places the SH team was racially accosted. Yes their kids experienced it themselves and they are now seeking to move elsewhere.

I have a neighbor who grew up in that area and confirmed those sentiments and included Willoughby. Hence me bringing it up to azureloves since they are seeking a racially inclusive community. Why is that a problem?
I don't live in Mentor or Willoughby, but I live near by. I'm just bothered when persons make undocumented statements that differ from my perception. I've known many African Americans who live in Lake County and I've never heard comments about Mentor or Willoughby that correlate with your statements.

About a decade ago, I do remember a cross being burned on an African American resident's lawn in Painesville Township.

See posts 7, 20, 22, 23, 41, 45 and 47 in this thread. However, other posts in the thread did state that racism was experienced by others in Mentor. Again, the thread is a decade old, and I wonder if Mentor's school administrators tolerate racist behavior, especially given that 3 percent of Mentor High's students are African American.

Minorities in Mentor/Lake County

The OP in the above thread apparently still is active on C-D. Perhaps the OP could send direct messages to several of minority posters who actually lived in Mentor.

https://www.greatschools.org/ohio/me...Race_ethnicity

I did a search for racism in Mentor and found the following articles.

https://fox8.com/2018/02/12/lake-cat...dents-comment/

Apparently African Americans on the Mentor High School track team were the victims of threats from a deranged individual living in Pepper Pike.

Pepper Pike man indicted for racist threats | cleveland.com

Having said that, in the age of Trump, nothing would surprise me anywhere. There are closet racists everywhere, however, but many fewer than several decades ago.

I don't have any agenda except that posts reflect reality. I would hate for the OP to skip a desirable opportunity because of a post from someone who has NO first-hand knowledge of the racial situation in Mentor or Willoughby.

The OP perhaps should open a thread in Facebook given the greater number of posters.

BTW, there are African American racists as well.

Quote:
Sure, but it seems like you're saying that because racism can happen anywhere folks shouldn't seek to live in more racially diverse and welcoming areas. So there is no difference in your mind between Mentor and Shaker Heights? North Ridgeville vs Solon? Westlake vs Beachwood?

Honestly, I'm going to leave this discussion because I don't like where it's going.
Anybody who has read my posts would know that I think there is a vast difference among suburbs. That isn't the issue.

The issue is whether Mentor and Willoughby are as racist as you seem definitively intent on portraying them, even though you have no experience living in Lake County.

Again, there certainly are opportunities to investigate the extent of racism in those communities -- as mentioned, churches, the local NAACP chapter, etc. Heck, somebody could spend a day at Great Lakes and other Mentor retail centers talking to African American shoppers; Willoughby is immediately adjacent to Mentor and Willoughby residents certainly shop in Mentor regularly. Perhaps there are African American teachers or administrators in the Mentor or Willoughby South school districts.

http://www.lakecountynaacpohio.org/

One other bit of information: Michael Amiott, the Euclid police officer who has raised racial tensions there, was dismissed by the Mentor police force before being hired in Euclid.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ting-black-men

https://www.cleveland.com/crime/inde..._seen_pun.html

Mentor has a reputation in Lake County for having a very professional police force. I think there is one African American on the Mentor police force based on a conversation that I had with a Mentor police officer earlier this year; it was initially a conversation about the limited number of women officers on the Mentor police force.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-15-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 PM

227 posts, read 119,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative
The issue is whether Mentor and Willoughby are as racist as you seem definitively intent on portraying them, even though you have no experience living in Lake County.
What are you talking about? I relayed what I heard from friends that DO LIVE THERE... and HAVE DIRECTLY EXPERIENCED IT... which is ALL I SAID!

What I originally said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack
I've heard some unfortunate things concerning racism about Mentor, Willoughby, etc. Similar with the west suburbs.
After you read way too much into that statement, went on a tangent and accused me of making things up without any justifications...

I clarified...
Quote:
Not to derail this thread, but a few things here. I believe Mentor is one of the places the Shaker Heights High School football team encountered racism and verbal abuse. We also have friends who've moved to that area and stated similar sentiments. Not sure how seeing black folks at the barber shop discounts that in anyway?
Then you again you ranted about how that's not possible and how I'm just "spouting my beliefs"...

So I further clarified...
Quote:

And now AGAIN you are saying garbage like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative
So by your logic I shouldn't listen to or believe my own friends and neighbor (who are African-American, experienced it first hand, and do or have lived in Lake County) because WRnative from city-data.com doesn't like it?

Old 02-16-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I relayed what I heard from friends that DO LIVE THERE... and HAVE DIRECTLY EXPERIENCED IT... which is ALL I SAID!

What I originally said...

After you read way too much into that statement, went on a tangent and accused me of making things up without any justifications...

I clarified...

Then you again you ranted about how that's not possible and how I'm just "spouting my beliefs"...

So I further clarified...

And now AGAIN you are saying garbage like...

So by your logic I shouldn't listen to or believe my own friends and neighbor (who are African-American, experienced it first hand, and do or have lived in Lake County) because WRnative from city-data.com doesn't like it?

What you said may or may not accurately predict what the OP might experience in Mentor or Willoughby. I noted several posters from an earlier thread whose experiences in Mentor contradicted your warnings. Your characterizations of Mentor and Willoughby also differ from what I would expect in those communities, and unlike you, I've lived in Lake County and decades and went to high school there in an era when racial attitudes were much more pronounced than today.

Do I think there are closet racists in all northeastern Ohio communities? Yes. Yet the vast majority of residents, including in Mentor or Willoughby, judge individuals on their own merits regardless of race. Note that the individual arrested for making racial threats discussed in post 414 lived in Pepper Pike, part of the Orange school district, and Orange High School is located in Pepper Pike. However, I think it would be a big mistake to rule out the Orange school district because of that evident racism.

Racial attitudes are complicated. I actually had liberal friends, greatly devoted to public schools despite well above average financial means, who lived in Shaker Hts. and were disturbed that their children were developing negative racial attitudes because of the negative behavior of some African American children in their elementary school.

I also remember taking my elementary school age nephew to the Heinen's at Shaker Towne Center and some young African American kid the same size for no reason punched my nephew in the shoulder and smiled up at me. His mother didn't see that behavior and I had to hold my nephew back from returning the punch. I was so shocked that I did nothing, which I regret to this day. I should have stopped the mother and told her what her son had just done, but I remember thinking that my nephew must have known the other kid and that there was a history (my nephew definitely liked to fight); it turned out my nephew didn't know the other kid.

So I perhaps don't share your same perception of racial attitudes in Shaker Hts. rather than other communities. I well know that the Shaker Hts. school board and administrators agonize over the relatively weak academic performance of African Americans, which apparently is due to academic disengagement rather than a paucity of opportunities. As an African American parent in the SH schools I would worry more about academic disengagement than I would as a parent of a different race.

https://www.greatschools.org/ohio/sh...Race_ethnicity

https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/...f671ef87a.html

So evidence of academic disengagement, partially due to peer pressure, should be a great concern for any parent when considering schools. And, yes, the Shaker Hts. school district offers superb academic opportunities.

http://www.shaker.org/IB.aspx

Certainly among the best ways to mute racism of any sort is gaining familiarity with individuals with different racial and cultural backgrounds.

In fairness to you, I would note that Lake County voted strongly for Donald Trump, and has become more dominantly a Republican county in recent years. However, it would be interesting to check out individual precincts for any prospective residences. E.g., several precincts in Willoughby (strange for an allegedly racist community) voted for Clinton over Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if many precincts in the Mayfield and Orange school districts also voted for Trump. I don't believe that political cleavages in northeast Ohio are dominated by racial cleavages as much as socio-economic and cultural cleavages, but someone who cares about political attitudes certainly might want to check voting patterns in communities as well as in specific precincts.

https://www.lakecountyohio.gov/Porta...y%20Report.pdf

https://www.lakecountyohio.gov/Porta...20Election.pdf

https://boe.cuyahogacounty.us/pdf_bo...inctTotals.HTM

Candidly, given all of the OP's considerations, I would focus on the Mayfield or Orange school districts, mostly for their relative academic excellence, diverse student bodies, and convenience of commutes. Beachwood also should be considered. Total housing costs in those communities may be higher than in Mentor or Willoughby. I wouldn't discourage any African American from considering Willoughby or Mentor, especially the latter if parks, low taxes, recreational facilities, and proximity to Lake Erie are important considerations.

My comments were not garbage as I truly consider your characterizations of Mentor and Willoughby suspect, and, as I noted, there are many opportunities for any African American considering a residence in those communities to check out the racial environment with African Americans living in Lake County, such as with the local NAACP. African Americans living in Lake County are much more reliable sources of information about Lake County racial attitudes than either you or me. I also would note that Lake County has many African American families with roots going back more than a half century and even over a century.

I would note that in Lake County, unlike in the eastern suburbs of Cuyahoga County, the only major private high school is Lake Catholic. Lake County is far different than in southern states where private schools have proliferated in order to achieve ex officio racial and socio-economic segregation, the latter of which certainly is factor in eastern Cuyahoga County.

Lake County was an abolitionist center and has had progressive racial attitudes for well over a century, as evidenced by the career of James A. Garfield, a Mentor native. My knowledge of Lake County history probably is one reason your comments additionally were offensive to me.

James A. Garfield story tonight on PBS American Experience

Last edited by WRnative; 02-16-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Also, I don't share your statement that Shaker Heights is a super ideal location for the OP, given both documented concerns about the schools for African Americans and the potential commute. Even now, there is a controversy in SH among teachers, the school board and administrators, and apparently African American parents over academic performance and alleged teacher academic bullying.

https://shakerite.com/campus-and-cit...ation/12/2019/

Much of Shaker Heights isn't very close to I-271. I've driven many times from central Lake County to Shaker Heights outside of commuting hours. Google says it's a 30-minute drive from Great Lakes Mall in Mentor to Shaker Heights High School. I would consider that very generous during commuting hours, more especially in bad weather. Any potential resident should check out commuting routes during commuting hours.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-16-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-16-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
What you said may or may not accurately predict what the OP might experience in Mentor or Willoughby. I noted several posters from an earlier thread whose experiences in Mentor contradicted your warnings. Your characterizations of Mentor and Willoughby also differ from what I would expect in those communities, and unlike you, I've lived in Lake County and decades and went to high school there in an era when racial attitudes were much more pronounced than today.

Do I think there are closet racists in all northeastern Ohio communities? Yes. Yet the vast majority of residents, including in Mentor or Willoughby, judge individuals on their own merits regardless of race. Note that the individual arrested for making racial threats discussed in post 414 lived in Pepper Pike, part of the Orange school district, and Orange High School is located in Pepper Pike. However, I think it would be a big mistake to rule out the Orange school district because of that evident racism.

Racial attitudes are complicated. I actually had liberal friends, greatly devoted to public schools despite well above average financial means, who lived in Shaker Hts. and were disturbed that their children were developing negative racial attitudes because of the negative behavior of some African American children in their elementary school.

I also remember taking my elementary school age nephew to the Heinen's at Shaker Towne Center and some young African American kid the same size for no reason punched my nephew in the shoulder and smiled up at me. His mother didn't see that behavior and I had to hold my nephew back from returning the punch. I was so shocked that I did nothing, which I regret to this day. I should have stopped the mother and told her what her son had just done, but I remember thinking that my nephew must have known the other kid and that there was a history (my nephew definitely liked to fight); it turned out my nephew didn't know the other kid.

So I perhaps don't share your same perception of racial attitudes in Shaker Hts. rather than other communities. I well know that the Shaker Hts. school board and administrators agonize over the relatively weak academic performance of African Americans, which apparently is due to academic disengagement rather than a paucity of opportunities. As an African American parent in the SH schools I would worry more about academic disengagement than I would as a parent of a different race.

https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/...f671ef87a.html

So evidence of academic disengagement, partially due to peer pressure, should be a great concern for any parent when considering schools. And, yes, the Shaker Hts. school district offers superb academic opportunities.

International Baccalaureate

Certainly among the best ways to mute racism of any sort is gaining familiarity with individuals with different racial and cultural backgrounds.

In fairness to you, I would note that Lake County voted strongly for Donald Trump, and has become more dominantly a Republican county in recent years. However, it would be interesting to check out individual precincts for any prospective residences. E.g., several precincts in Willoughby (strange for an allegedly racist community) voted for Clinton over Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if many precincts in the Mayfield and Orange school districts also voted for Trump. I don't believe that political cleavages in northeast Ohio are dominated by racial cleavages as much as socio-economic and cultural cleavages, but someone who cares about political attitudes certainly might want to check voting patterns in communities as well as in specific precincts.

https://www.lakecountyohio.gov/Porta...y%20Report.pdf

https://www.lakecountyohio.gov/Porta...20Election.pdf

https://boe.cuyahogacounty.us/pdf_bo...inctTotals.HTM

Candidly, given all of the OP's considerations, I would focus on the Mayfield or Orange school districts, mostly for their relative academic excellence, diverse student bodies, and convenience of commutes. Beachwood also should be considered. Total housing costs in those communities may be higher than in Mentor or Willoughby. I wouldn't discourage any African American from considering Willoughby or Mentor, especially the latter if parks, low taxes, recreational facilities, and proximity to Lake Erie are important considerations.

My comments were not garbage as I truly consider your characterizations of Mentor and Willoughby suspect, and, as I noted, there are many opportunities for any African American considering a residence in those communities to check out the racial environment with African Americans living in Lake County, such as with the local NAACP. African Americans living in Lake County are much more reliable sources of information about Lake County racial attitudes than either you or me. I also would note that Lake County has many African American families with roots going back more than a half century and even over a century.

I would note that in Lake County, unlike in the eastern suburbs of Cuyahoga County, the only major private high school is Lake Catholic. Lake County is far different than in southern states where private schools have proliferated in order to achieve ex officio racial and socio-economic segregation, the latter of which certainly is factor in eastern Cuyahoga County.

Lake County was an abolitionist center and has had progressive racial attitudes for well over a century, as evidenced by the career of James A. Garfield, a Mentor native. My knowledge of Lake County history probably is one reason your comments additionally were offensive to me.

James A. Garfield story tonight on PBS American Experience
I accidentally omitted these links from the above post.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...agement_review

This book may be an excellent read for an African American parent considering school choices for their children.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-America.../dp/080584516X

I've also since found this 20-year-old article, which may have some relevance given the current academic furor in SH.

<<"I'm convinced that this is really a peer culture issue," said James Paces, a Shaker Heights school administrator....

High-achieving African American students also complain about being ridiculed by fellow black students who tease them if they expend a lot of effort to earn good grades.

Prodded by her parents, Aida Harris always worked hard in school, earning top grades and taking the toughest classes. But by the time she got to middle school, she found that her gung-ho attitude alienated her from many of her black friends.

"People constantly told me that I'm acting white, that I'm an Oreo," she said. "I was constantly shunned by my black classmates."
The harassment grew so intense that her grades dropped from A's and B's to C's and D's. She said that she became preoccupied with her racial identity and let her grades slip in hopes of getting back in the good graces of her friends.

At one point, she told her parents that she wanted to leave public school altogether. "It was traumatic, absolutely traumatic," said her father, Reuben Harris Jr., an insurance agent and a founding member of a parents' group focused on raising black student achievement. "She was feeling ostracized and separated from her own people."
>>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.aa3e206dc7a2

The above article reminded me of a close African American friend of mine who was told by a bigoted high school counselor (I knew the guy) that he should consider alternatives to going to college. That comment highly motivated my friend to improve his grades, perhaps at my urging, and he eventually graduated with a four-year college degree.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-16-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 2,532 times
Quote:
Welcome! We also came from California and landed in the east suburbs looking for affordability, good schools and diversity. Ultimately, Shaker Heights is super ideal. Diverse, good schools, lots to do, beautiful neighborhoods and homes, easy access to the RTA, etc. Commute to Mentor wouldn't be bad either. However, WRNative is correct, taxes are very high.

Cleveland Heights is another similar choice, although again, taxes are high and schools may not be as great.

Solon should be considered. It's fairly diverse, taxes are lower and you have quick access to the express way.

Beachwood also is relatively diverse with good schools and relatively decent taxes, but housing is going to be a bit more expensive.

I've heard some unfortunate things concerning racism about Mentor, Willoughby, etc. Similar with the west suburbs.

Regardless, keep us informed and feel free to reach out!
Thank you so much! I appreciate your input and your honesty! We haven't considered Solon and Beachwood so far because I just assumed it wasn't diverse. I will have to do more research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
My suggestion would be to purchase something in Lake County, but close to the border (so I guess that's Willoughby). I'd have your primary focus being on the easiness of resale and in 4-5 years, when your first kid is getting ready for pre-K or Kindergarten, move at that point to a longer term home. Your incomes/budget may be higher, you'll have a better sense of the communities and also what's an acceptable commute and your job locations may change in the meantime.

Depending on the credit, it may even be a better option to continue to rent somewhere until you're ready to make a longer term school decision.

For what it's worth, given what you've shared thus far, I would look primarily at Mayfield Village. I think Shaker is probably too far to Mentor. Ultimately, I think your best option is Beachwood, and probably in the neighborhood south of Cedar, east of Green and west of Richmond, but as someone else mentioned, budget is going to be the possible issue there.
I do agree that purchasing something close to the border in Lake County would be a good bet, I kind of had the idea that I wanted to just purchase one home and be done forever but that may not work out for us lol. The credit is somewhere between $3-5k I believe. Over the weekend we did look in the Mayfield Village area which we do like! We don't want to buy in Mayfield Heights its a little to crowded/congested for us especially on Mayfield Rd. We hadn't previously considered Mayfield Village but do agree it could work being that our commutes would be fair and it feels like we'd have a bit more breathing room in that area. As of now there are no houses for sale, we get the impression that people stay put in that area? Hopefully as spring comes some homes will be available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
A lot of the locations being suggested don't really match the "town square" setting they want. I don't see Mayfield, Solon, Mentor, Beachwood, etc. as having that sort of vibe at all.
Agreed, which I figured based on the research that I had already done I guess I was just hoping to be proven wrong! It's disappointing but based on our jobs and the commutes we want I'll probably have to settle for driving to the cute little towns instead of walking to them. We are still going to shoot for being able to walk to a nearby park or library!

Quote:
I don't live in Mentor or Willoughby, but I live near by. I'm just bothered when persons make undocumented statements that differ from my perception. I've known many African Americans who live in Lake County and I've never heard comments about Mentor or Willoughby that correlate with your statements.

About a decade ago, I do remember a cross being burned on an African American resident's lawn in Painesville Township.

See posts 7, 20, 22, 23, 41, 45 and 47 in this thread. However, other posts in the thread did state that racism was experienced by others in Mentor. Again, the thread is a decade old, and I wonder if Mentor's school administrators tolerate racist behavior, especially given that 3 percent of Mentor High's students are African American.

Minorities in Mentor/Lake County

The OP in the above thread apparently still is active on C-D. Perhaps the OP could send direct messages to several of minority posters who actually lived in Mentor.

https://www.greatschools.org/ohio/me...Race_ethnicity

I did a search for racism in Mentor and found the following articles.

https://fox8.com/2018/02/12/lake-cat...dents-comment/

Apparently African Americans on the Mentor High School track team were the victims of threats from a deranged individual living in Pepper Pike.

Pepper Pike man indicted for racist threats | cleveland.com

Having said that, in the age of Trump, nothing would surprise me anywhere. There are closet racists everywhere, however, but many fewer than several decades ago.

I don't have any agenda except that posts reflect reality. I would hate for the OP to skip a desirable opportunity because of a post from someone who has NO first-hand knowledge of the racial situation in Mentor or Willoughby.

The OP perhaps should open a thread in Facebook given the greater number of posters.

BTW, there are African American racists as well.

Anybody who has read my posts would know that I think there is a vast difference among suburbs. That isn't the issue.

Again, there certainly are opportunities to investigate the extent of racism in those communities -- as mentioned, churches, the local NAACP chapter, etc. Heck, somebody could spend a day at Great Lakes and other Mentor retail centers talking to African American shoppers; Willoughby is immediately adjacent to Mentor and Willoughby residents certainly shop in Mentor regularly. Perhaps there are African American teachers or administrators in the Mentor or Willoughby South school districts.

Lake County NAACP - Home

One other bit of information: Michael Amiott, the Euclid police officer who has raised racial tensions there, was dismissed by the Mentor police force before being hired in Euclid.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ting-black-men

https://www.cleveland.com/crime/inde..._seen_pun.html

Mentor has a reputation in Lake County for having a very professional police force. I think there is one African American on the Mentor police force based on a conversation that I had with a Mentor police officer earlier this year; it was initially a conversation about the limited number of women officers on the Mentor police force.
WRnative You are a wealth of information! Thank you once again! I shared your first few posts with my Husband and he was like "Whew! We have some homework to do!" lol I especially appreciate you mentioning looking into churches in the local area and the NAACP. Fantastic idea!

As a general post I just want to say I do really appreciate everyone's honestly and willingness to help, and as far as personal stories/experiences of racism we both would rather know the stories than not know, we don't want to be blindsided. It wouldn't completely deter us from an area as there are a multitude of factors (including us visiting the areas/neighborhoods ourselves and factoring in our own experiences) that will ultimately determine where we end up.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,578,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azureloves View Post
We haven't considered Solon and Beachwood so far because I just assumed it wasn't diverse. I will have to do more research!
They are actually two of the most diverse cities on the east side. There's occasionally someone pointing out that there's less socio-economic diversity than some other cities so you'll have to decide how much that matters to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland