U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Are you accounting for property taxes in your $100k housing budget? That could be an easy $3-4k/year in some places around here, particularly Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights, which you mentioned.

Of the places you mentioned, Cleveland Heights is probably your best bet in your price range.

Shaker is almost entirely out of your price range, but some homes in the Moreland, Lomond, and Ludlow neighborhoods would fall into it. There's also a sliver of the City of Cleveland that feeds to Shaker schools, and that area is in your price range too. There are also plenty of condos to buy in that price range.

You might want to also check out North Collinwood (Waterloo and E185th) and Euclid. North Collinwood feeds to Cleveland schools, but the community group is active in helping residents find alternative magnets and private schools.
Our ~$100k range is house only. I planned on seeing $2 1/2-4k taxes on top of that. And we are operating as if our daughter will be going to public school unless we happen to be knocked over with high priced job offers, which we realistically won't - so magnet and private are only options with financial help.

That said, I'll definitely look into the Shaker neighborhoods you mentioned, and there were a few North Collinwood-Euclid properties that seemed right for us (from the E 170s-heading east) so I'll definitely do a bit more in-depth research there. It does seem like the Euclid Ave south to University Heights corridor has quite a few houses that fit, too, and my gut says that's where we'll have the best luck, so that's good.

It seems like we aren't coming up with much west of the city. There are a few houses in Parma and some near Linndale that work for us but I know pretty much nothing about that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 08:22 PM

180 posts, read 83,746 times
How is the neighborhood streets NW of Shaker Square? Bounded by Shaker (S), MLK (W), Larchmere/Fairhill (N) and N Moreland (E). Seems like a lot movin'/shakin' on Larchmere these days and a good 'neighborhood' vibe.

And, where the h$ll do you folks take your dogs off leash that isn't a fenced in gravel pit? I hate 'dog parks' but love parks that allow dogs off leash off hours. In MA, not uncommon to allow dogs in the parks until 9am, then on leash after 9. Seems like there is no where dogs (officially or unofficially) go off leash that isn't a pure dog park (or a couple of specific beaches, such as Edgewater or way the h3ll out in Fairport). Am I missing something? Can't a poor dog get a real run in (in the woods) before work?

Old 01-10-2020, 06:16 AM

180 posts, read 83,746 times
Oh, and WR, thank you for the dog park links, I'm talking about info that may not be readily available for things that might be bending the rules a bit (and folks bending the rules, feel free to PM me instead).

Old 01-10-2020, 09:03 PM

369 posts, read 498,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Oh, and WR, thank you for the dog park links, I'm talking about info that may not be readily available for things that might be bending the rules a bit (and folks bending the rules, feel free to PM me instead).
This made me laugh! I’ll PM you info

Old 01-11-2020, 07:31 AM

9,908 posts, read 6,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Given the Lyme disease risk, I would be careful about letting a dog run wild. As you're from the Boston area, I suspect you already are well aware of this concern. Rabies also is an issue in NE Ohio among racoons, skunks, etc.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:36 AM
XOH

2 posts, read 1,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Given the Lyme disease risk, I would be careful about letting a dog run wild. As you're from the Boston area, I suspect you already are well aware of this concern. Rabies also is an issue in NE Ohio among racoons, skunks, etc.
Ah, the good old days when we only had to worry about rabies and Lyme disease.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 836 times
Hello! DH and I are in Cleveland Heights for a few days to look for an apartment, or possibly condo/townhouse in this NE Ohio area. We are early retired (DH was in tradeshow biz 25y until Covid). We like NE Ohio but after online research and now here, we are overwhelmed. We've been advised Lakewood is good but we may check out Strongsville. We have 2 cars and 2 40# rescue dogs which are presenting some issues. DH wants to be within 30min of ice arena as he still plays "old man hockey". Any ideas? Which property mgmt is good or to avoid? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:29 AM

9,908 posts, read 6,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsResearch View Post
Hello! DH and I are in Cleveland Heights for a few days to look for an apartment, or possibly condo/townhouse in this NE Ohio area. We are early retired (DH was in tradeshow biz 25y until Covid). We like NE Ohio but after online research and now here, we are overwhelmed. We've been advised Lakewood is good but we may check out Strongsville. We have 2 cars and 2 40# rescue dogs which are presenting some issues. DH wants to be within 30min of ice arena as he still plays "old man hockey". Any ideas? Which property mgmt is good or to avoid? Thanks in advance.
There are several northeast Ohio communities with ice hockey rinks. I don't know which ones offer senior leagues. Many ice rinks are closed because of COVID-19 and perhaps because of municipal financial issues.

Mentor has one of the better tax bases in northeast Ohio and a robust recreational program with an ice rink. I suspect it will be one of the last ice rinks to close if the COVID-19 badly ravages municipal finances in NE Ohio and the Republican Senate continues to deny adequate state and local government financial aid.

https://cityofmentor.com/departments...-arena/hockey/

You could rent in nearby communities, such as Painesville and Willoughby, but check out recreational fees in Mentor for non-residents. Search this forum for Mentor, Painesville, Willoughby, etc.

Other communities with ice rinks, besides Lakewood, include Brooklyn, Rocky River, Kent, Euclid (this ice rink may be among the most vulnerable financially), Shaker Hts, Chagrin Falls, North Olmsted and Strongsville.

https://cityofmentor.com/departments...-arena/hockey/

In Euclid, you perhaps could buy a condo with what rent would cost in other communities. E.g., Benton Village, located very close to the ice rink and Sims Park on Lake Erie. It's also on bus route to downtown Cleveland.

https://www.zillow.com/euclid-oh/benton-village_att/

https://www.freshwatercleveland.com/...lid121719.aspx

https://www.freshwatercleveland.com/...cwt081618.aspx

I don't know the status of the Euclid lakefront trail project. The COVID-19 epidemic may have derailed it.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...he-making.html

http://www.cityofeuclid.com/communit...provementsPlan

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...-counties.html

Henn Mansion and the Euclid pier are focal points of Sims Park, which also will provide access to the lakefront trail.

http://euclidobserver.com/read/2013/...-to-the-public

Apartments.com lists pet-friendly apartments by city.

https://www.apartments.com/mentor-oh/pet-friendly/

https://www.apartments.com/willoughby-oh/pet-friendly/

Mentor is in Lake County and one advantage to living in Lake County is its "Dial-a-Ride" service which offers point-to-point service within Lake County but also to the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals main campuses.

https://laketran.com/dial-a-ride/

Hopefully, you have read through this thread, especially the thread linked at post 3.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

Last edited by WRnative; 08-12-2020 at 02:58 AM..

Old 08-12-2020, 03:40 AM

2 posts, read 836 times
WRnative,
Thank you very much for the abundant information. I had searched this forum but didn't know if the info I found was current, e.g. Integrity not the greatest property mgmt. We drove over to Lakewood last night and then took Detroit back to CH thru downtown and saw For Rent signs and picked up a flyer for Vanguard Properties.. I'm wondering if CH is much denser people-wise when universities (CWRU) are in full swing, I know Covid has shut down in-person classes etc. Strongsville was on the list for today simply because Apartments.com shows a few dog friendly apartments and OBM arena. but Mentor was my initial choice when we decided to explore NE Ohio. May also check out Mayfield Heights? Our Airbnb host said Mayfield isn't so great but I found dog-friendly apartments over that way, e.g. Coppertree. Some condo/townhome assns do not allow dogs and it's hard to drill down to find that out, unless I call and am not quite ready to talk to an agent because how do we find the right agent when we don't live here? I'm realizing the dogs are costing us $300-500 extra in rent so Condo, even small SFH is a possibility but all the different taxes, etc is challenging to sort out.

We're smitten with the canopy of old trees in CH, we love the scale of Cleveland and want to figure out the parks for hiking, but we only have 2.5 days left to find a new home or at least narrow down a neighborhood and decide if we can and want to move here and if it's a wise decision financially. So much to consider, esp after being homeowners for 25y.

I so appreciate your time and effort, I will explore all the links. I wish you a Wonderful Wednesday!

Old 12-27-2020, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 965 times
Hey there. Family of 3 - soon to be 4 - relocating from Chicago (city, north side) to the Cleveland area. My wife is keeping her job and working remote. I’m currently interviewing.

We are having some trouble finding suitable rentals. We are looking for 3+ bedrooms, townhome or house (duplex or three flat is fine), some outdoor space. Prices seem reasonable...but there are very few on the market at the moment. Those that are available seem to be fairly (in some cases extremely) low quality with regard to finish, even if they are in desirable areas (Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, Near West side, etc). There are a few I’ve seen closer to downtown that are nicer, but the prices seem outrageous for the market ($3000+, is that normal for Cleveland? That’s on par with Chicago).

Where do prospective residents find housing in Cleveland? There are rental services in Chicago (Apartment Finders, etc), is there anything similar in Cleveland? Any tactics we should be using? Craig’s list seems pretty dead. A realtor we engaged doesn’t have much. Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland