U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 12:15 PM

9,881 posts, read 6,744,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweeterJennings View Post
Hey there. Family of 3 - soon to be 4 - relocating from Chicago (city, north side) to the Cleveland area. My wife is keeping her job and working remote. I’m currently interviewing.

We are having some trouble finding suitable rentals. We are looking for 3+ bedrooms, townhome or house (duplex or three flat is fine), some outdoor space. Prices seem reasonable...but there are very few on the market at the moment. Those that are available seem to be fairly (in some cases extremely) low quality with regard to finish, even if they are in desirable areas (Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, Near West side, etc). There are a few I’ve seen closer to downtown that are nicer, but the prices seem outrageous for the market ($3000+, is that normal for Cleveland? That’s on par with Chicago).

Where do prospective residents find housing in Cleveland? There are rental services in Chicago (Apartment Finders, etc), is there anything similar in Cleveland? Any tactics we should be using? Craig’s list seems pretty dead. A realtor we engaged doesn’t have much. Thoughts?
Greater Cleveland is a big place, so give us more information. How old are you children? Do you need public schools immediately? When will you be moving? What amenities are important to you? Where are your prospective jobs located? Are you willing to relocate after one year and after gaining familiarity with the area? Any other important considerations.

If you haven't done so, read through this thread, begining with post 3.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

What degree of familiarity do you have with Greater Cleveland? Have you visited before?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 848 times
1. Looking for a similar feel to Chicago’s Lincoln Square / Ravenswood neighborhood.

2. Kids: Elder will be 2 and the other an infant.

3. Public schools will not be an immediate necessity.

4. Moving this spring.

5. Amenities: Outdoor space, preferably a yard. Doesn’t need to be private, shared works. Laundry, dishwasher, etc. Central AC is always nice but I am starting to think that CAC is pretty rare in Cleveland based on what I’ve seen thus far.

6. Jobs: Commute isn’t really a concern. I‘ve had a 45 min train ride here for years and before that a 3 hour round trip driving commute. After that, nothing phases me. Wife is going to be able to work from home.

7. Yes. The idea would be to rent for a year, learn more about the market, and then buy after the lease is up.

8. Knowledge of Cleveland: I grew up in the south suburbs. Moved away for school. Spent a little time working in Cleveland after college and then moved away again. I’ll be returning after about a decade away. My wife has only been in towns for visits.

Last edited by TweeterJennings; 12-27-2020 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Adding info.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
1. Looking for a similar feel to Chicago’s Lincoln Square / Ravenswood neighborhood.

4. Moving this spring.

5. Amenities: Outdoor space, preferably a yard. Doesn’t need to be private, shared works. Laundry, dishwasher, etc. Central AC is always nice but I am starting to think that CAC is pretty rare in Cleveland based on what I’ve seen thus far.

6. Jobs: Commute isn’t really a concern. I‘ve had a 45 min train ride here for years and before that a 3 hour round trip driving commute. After that, nothing phases me. Wife is going to be able to work from home.

7. Yes. The idea would be to rent for a year, learn more about the market, and then buy after the lease is up.

8. Knowledge of Cleveland: I grew up in the south suburbs. Moved away for school. Spent a little time working in Cleveland after college and then moved away again. I’ll be returning after about a decade away. My wife has only been in towns for visits.
I'm not familiar with Lincoln Square or Ravenswood, but, looking at images are reading about it, Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights may be pretty close.

Are you familiar with the Kamm's Corner neighborhood in Cleveland? Perhaps research it. You would live in Cleveland and so save money on municipal income taxes. You might find housing in your price range. You would be close to the Rocky River Reservation and the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Airplane noise might be an issue. You could commute downtown on the Red Line.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...33374976_zpid/

Use Google Transit to check mass transit options.

Euclid would likely offer very good values on rentals if you stay north of I-90. It has decent bus connections with downtown and excellent freeway access to the I-271 corporate (jobs) corridor (Progressive is one of Cleveland's major employers and always hiring). Very good lakefront park area. It's now a very diverse community. Euclid also has many duplexes, as does, I believe, the Kamm's Corner area.

The Painesville/Fairport Harbor area could offer some very reasonable rental options in your price range if the commute is acceptable. See the discussion in this thread, which also offers information about other Greater Cleveland options that might appeal to you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...rent-ohio.html

Definitely check out nearby parks, playgrounds, and certainly Metroparks for any location. Most cities describe their parks and recreational amenities. The Painesville area has one of the best YMCAs in Ohio, but not a recreational center. Lake Erie beaches are very nearby, including Fairport Harbor with a breakwall that makes it one of the better Lake Erie beaches for toddlers. Mentor likely allows non-residents to use its very good recreational amenities for a fee, although I'm not certain they would be needed if you had a Y membership and visited the great local parks and beaches in the Painesville area.

Just trying to get a feel for what you're looking for and what may be acceptable outside of Lakewood, CH and SH, given your desired price range.

You also might check Cleveland neighborhoods near Shaker Heights, and vice versa (Ludlow area in SH?). Other persons in this forum probably could tell you more about the neighborhoods for any house that is of interest to you.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...oom%22%3A13%7D

E.g., I saw these listings.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...33688601_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...80641392_zpid/

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 12-27-2020 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:

4. Moving this spring.

Just looking at house rentals in Lake County, Eastlake and Willowick in western Lake County are pleasant communities on Lake Erie that offer house rental options in your price range. Wickliffe also offers possibilities, but I'm not as familiar with Wickliffe and its neighborhoods.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Willowick,-OH_rb/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Eastlake,-OH_rb/

Surprisingly, even Mentor offers options. Mentor has superb recreational amenities and has been ranked as a top 50 U.S. small city by Money Magazine.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Mento,-OH_rb/

I'm familiar with this neighborhood and this would be an excellent option. In fact, I would be surprised if you could find a better one in Greater Cleveland, unless there is something very wrong with this house. It even has central AC! Obviously, it's not like Lincoln Square, but Mentor has very robust retail districts; it's the 6th largest retail center in Ohio.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...34479954_zpid/

Last edited by WRnative; 12-29-2020 at 04:54 AM..

Old 05-07-2021, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 1,140 times
Default Relocation recs

Husband and I are moving to Cleveland area from Northeast for healthcare job. We would like to be within 20-25 mins driving distance to Parma for work. We are planning to rent for the first year maybe in downtown or near downtown until we get the chance to explore and get to know the suburbs and then we will buy a house. We are planning to be in the area for at least the next 3-5 years.

We had the chance to visit Cleveland only for a weekend and looked into some of the downtown luxury apartment buildings, which were really nice, but we realized we are looking for more of a neighborhood feel. We then looked at a smaller apt building we really liked in Ohio City, but concerned about the not so nice areas and safety there. Unfortunately we didn’t get the chance to explore other neighborhoods like Lakewood, Tremont or Shaker Heights, and don’t know if we will get the chance to. We are ok paying up to $2000-$2400 for rent on a 2 bedroom that’s nice and safe.

I’m looking for pros and cons of living in downtown and Ohio city. Also I’m not sure if we are limiting ourselves by looking only into these two areas, and wether we should invest more time (although not sure we even have) into looking into the other neighborhoods.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 1,166 times
Hello! My family and I are relocating to the Cleveland area from the North East in the next few months. Daily proximity to Cleveland is not necessary but we would like to visit for trips to the museum, theater, walking around downtown, etc, so anything within an hour would be ok. Looking to keep monthly payments (including taxes) around $3k. We are looking for the following:

1. Walkable to something - would love shops/library/small downtown feel
2. Welcoming feel, lots of families
3. We are both artists, so would love a slightly relaxed vibe
4. Good schools (we have elementary age children) - by good I don't necessarily mean best test scores. This has been the hardest thing to find because you have to know people who have experience with the schools to get more real info! I would love creative, engaging teachers, an involved parent community, not a pressure-cooker, stressful environment. Test scores are good to know, but obviously only part of the picture.
5. Close to nature. We love hiking and being outdoors.

We've been doing a little research and found Chagrin Falls and Hudson, but I would love to hear input on those areas or on ones I haven't found yet!

Old 05-12-2021, 10:03 AM

10,042 posts, read 9,497,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontree10368 View Post
Hello! My family and I are relocating to the Cleveland area from the North East in the next few months (to be near family). My husband will be working from home so daily proximity to Cleveland is not necessary (we would like to visit for trips to the museum, theater, walking around downtown, etc, so anything within an hour would be ok). Looking to keep monthly payments (including taxes) around $3k. We are looking for the following:

1. Walkable to SOMETHING - would love shops/library/small downtown feel (probably because we're coming from the NE)
4. Good schools (we have elementary age children going into 4th and 2nd, and a baby) - by good I don't necessarily mean best test scores. This has been the hardest thing to find because you have to know people who have experience with the schools to get more real info! I would love creative, engaging teachers, an involved parent community, not a pressure-cooker, stressful environment. Test scores are good to know, but obviously only part of the picture.

We've been doing a little research and found Chagrin Falls and Hudson, but I'm a little worried about what the schools are really like, and what the families are like. It's so hard to know until you live in the area, so I'm stressing about that! I'm sure if we work hard enough we can find our people anywhere (whether or not they're in the same town), but it would be great to know if there's any obvious area that fits us before we move!
Chagrin Falls, definitely. Medina would be good too. Burton could be a decent fit if you might want something less connected to the city.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:31 PM

368 posts, read 494,895 times
Quote:
Hello! My family and I are relocating to the Cleveland area from the North East in the next few months. Daily proximity to Cleveland is not necessary but we would like to visit for trips to the museum, theater, walking around downtown, etc, so anything within an hour would be ok. Looking to keep monthly payments (including taxes) around $3k. We are looking for the following:

4. Good schools (we have elementary age children) - by good I don't necessarily mean best test scores. This has been the hardest thing to find because you have to know people who have experience with the schools to get more real info! I would love creative, engaging teachers, an involved parent community, not a pressure-cooker, stressful environment. Test scores are good to know, but obviously only part of the picture.

We've been doing a little research and found Chagrin Falls and Hudson, but I would love to hear input on those areas or on ones I haven't found yet!
I think you would feel comfortable in Chagrin. It definitely has a New England feel and their schools are really good, although I will say any highly ranked school has a pressure cooker environment due to the competitive and high achieving atmosphere. As parents, we have found that we have to model healthy self-care around this topic and be a buffer to the pressure for our kids.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:

This thread should be helpful, especially posts 3 and perhaps post 79 and 80. Some posts in this thread would help you evaluate school districts. Shaker Heights schools are a common topic of discussion in this forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...eveland-8.html

Perhaps search for threads discussing Willoughby and Mentor given their easy access to University Circle and proximity to the Fine Arts Association, somewhat unique in Greater Cleveland outside of University Circle, Lake Erie beaches in Mentor and Fairport Harbor, and to the great Lake County Metroparks in Kirtland and to Holden Arboretum. If easy access to University Circle is a goal, this suggests east side communities, but perhaps Lakewood or Rocky River. Check Google maps and Google transit to evaluate time/distance from UC. Hudson would not be ideal if closeness to UC is a goal.

https://www.fineartsassociation.org/education/

Also check out Lakewood and surrounding communities for its proximity to the Beck Center for the Arts, an institution somewhat similar to the Fine Arts Association, but with a more enhanced performing arts program.

You didn't elaborate on your arts interests, but definitely familiarize yourself with the robust educational opportunities offered ex-pandemic by the Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Institute of Music, the Cleveland Institute of Art, and the Music Settlement, all in University Circle. The Cleveland Play House and other Playhouse Square institutions also offer youth education programs in the performing arts.

You might want to check out Painesville City schools given your educational goals. They have all new buildings, a very diverse student body, heavily Mexican American (which lowers their state ratings), but a hefty AP program and access to courses at Lake Erie College in Painesville. Painesville also is very close to Holden Arboretum, Mentor and Fairport beaches, and several excellent Lake County Metroparks in central Lake County. Mentor is one of the largest school districts (and high schools) in Ohio, but has relatively low property taxes and a great retail presence. Smaller high school districts worth exploring include Kirtland and Beachwood. Check out the Willoughby South high school district if interested in Willoughby.

For any residence, check out proximity to Greater Cleveland's five county metropark systems and the Summit County system for Hudson, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, nature preserves (e.g., Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve and Mentor Marsh), local parks and recreation facilities (such as Lakewood Park), and state parks. See posts 3, 7 and 9 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

Last edited by WRnative; 05-13-2021 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-15-2021, 03:36 PM

3,271 posts, read 4,326,830 times
Quote:

I think Shaker Heights could be a really good option. It's a very family oriented community with very good schools that have nationally recognized arts, music, and theater programs (in addition to very strong AP and IB classes). It's definitely not a pressure cooker like some other schools in the area that are very focused on being the top ranked. Shaker isn't at the top of the rankings because it pulls from a pretty diverse socioeconomic pool, but the teaching (especially in the honors and AP/IB level classes) is top notch. The diversity is actually one of the districts greatest strengths, with an emphasis throughout the school (clubs, events, teaching philosophies, etc.) focused on bridging racial barriers.

As far as nature, there are the Shaker Lakes, which have some nice hiking trails but don't really take you deep into the woods. The best nature nearby is the North Chagrin or South Chagrin metroparks, both about 20 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland