U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 04:09 PM

9,908 posts, read 6,809,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
As far as nature, there are the Shaker Lakes, which have some nice hiking trails but don't really take you deep into the woods. The best nature nearby is the North Chagrin or South Chagrin metroparks, both about 20 minutes away.
The Bedford Reservation is slightly closer and arguably better with the Tinker Creek Gorge, a National Natural Landmark.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 304 times
Default Relocating soon

hi All,

i will be moving to the Cleveland for work shortly and looking for apartments in strongsville . We are 4 people 2 kids 2nd grader and a toddler , will be looking for good commutable school surrounding and ofcourse decent Indian Community

i was suggested with cherry tree and Islander and i also looked in to chestnut lake and parkside apartments , looking for suggestion to choose , cheery three was good but little expensive for me.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:15 PM

180 posts, read 83,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontree10368 View Post
Hello! My family and I are relocating to the Cleveland area from the North East in the next few months. Daily proximity to Cleveland is not necessary but we would like to visit for trips to the museum, theater, walking around downtown, etc, so anything within an hour would be ok. Looking to keep monthly payments (including taxes) around $3k. We are looking for the following:

1. Walkable to something - would love shops/library/small downtown feel
2. Welcoming feel, lots of families
3. We are both artists, so would love a slightly relaxed vibe
4. Good schools (we have elementary age children) - by good I don't necessarily mean best test scores. This has been the hardest thing to find because you have to know people who have experience with the schools to get more real info! I would love creative, engaging teachers, an involved parent community, not a pressure-cooker, stressful environment. Test scores are good to know, but obviously only part of the picture.
5. Close to nature. We love hiking and being outdoors.

We've been doing a little research and found Chagrin Falls and Hudson, but I would love to hear input on those areas or on ones I haven't found yet!

Have to agree with Cleverfield here. Shaker is family oriented, very walkable, arts and food are at your fingertips. Cleveland Heights has even more of an artsy vibe (particularly Coventry), but it's my understanding the HS isn't nearly as strong as Shaker.

Diversity and proximity to urban amenities are key between SH and Chagrin Falls/Hudson. The latter two are VERY homogeneous and certainly not left of center. They are also fairly isolated compared to Shaker or Cleveland Heights. Really depends on what is most important to you.

I just boomeranged back to OH after almost 30 years in Boston (and I've cycled/skiied/driven/boated/vacationed pretty much everwhere northeast of the NYS lines. Hit me up if you have specific questions/comparisons.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:29 PM

180 posts, read 83,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaMD View Post
Husband and I are moving to Cleveland area from Northeast for healthcare job. We would like to be within 20-25 mins driving distance to Parma for work. We are planning to rent for the first year maybe in downtown or near downtown until we get the chance to explore and get to know the suburbs and then we will buy a house. We are planning to be in the area for at least the next 3-5 years.

We had the chance to visit Cleveland only for a weekend and looked into some of the downtown luxury apartment buildings, which were really nice, but we realized we are looking for more of a neighborhood feel. We then looked at a smaller apt building we really liked in Ohio City, but concerned about the not so nice areas and safety there. Unfortunately we didn’t get the chance to explore other neighborhoods like Lakewood, Tremont or Shaker Heights, and don’t know if we will get the chance to. We are ok paying up to $2000-$2400 for rent on a 2 bedroom that’s nice and safe.

I’m looking for pros and cons of living in downtown and Ohio city. Also I’m not sure if we are limiting ourselves by looking only into these two areas, and wether we should invest more time (although not sure we even have) into looking into the other neighborhoods.

Baba, if your screenname indicates your profession and you want neighborhood-y, you should absolutely add Shaker Heights to your potential list of locations. When the Innovation Corridor is done (in November), it will be an easy shot from Shaker (particularly the Western side) to 490 to Parma. It's doctorpalooza in Shaker as manymanymany house staff at CCF and UH live here (it's even recommended in the CCF house staff welcome packets!). And, because of Shaker's commitment to diversity, there are a crapton of 2 family homes....and some units are incredibly large (up to 3k sq ft). And you can certainly get a rental (and a very nice one) in your price range (in VERY pretty, safe and walkable neighborhoods). And, if it's eventually needed in those 3-5 years, you'd have access to a great school district, as well as excellent proximity to parks, dining, entertainment and downtown.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 11 times
Default Relocating to (maybe) Cleveland

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in your thoughts regarding my situation. Currently, my family lives in Portland, OR. My wife and I are from Warren, Ohio and have moved all over the country staying for a few years in Denver, Southeast Florida, and Portland. We are both nurses and earn a great living in Oregon, despite the notriously high COL but we both have large families in Ohio/Western PA. We want to be closer to family as we have a toddler and another on the way. We are hoping the COL will outweigh the massive pay cut we will take.

She is an APRN who will likely need to find an outpatient clinic and I'm a bedside, hospital nurse. I will most likely be working at MetroHealth's main campus. I really want to keep my commute to <30 minutes, or so. From what I understand, Metro would be most easily accessed from the western suburbs, though Too far west would put us very far away from Warren where most of our family live. We will be staying with family in Maple Heights while we decide where we will be.

I have been lurking for a while, gathering some research on opinions regarding the various NEO communities.

These are some things we would like to see in the community we choose to plant our roots:

-Diversity, which is to say- schools that reflect a wide range of backgrounds, ethnic restaurants, cultural events (Coming from Warren, we're used to a lot of Greek/Italian/Croatian/AA festivals and barbecues/fish fry, not sure if this is a Cleveland thing)
-Excellent schools
-Safe, walkable neighborhoods
-Ideally a home that is <$300,000
-Access to public transit
-Parks and family-oriented recreation
-30 minute commute to MetroHealth via car commute (public transit is a plus)

Is there a community in CLE that stisfies most of these criteria and also has infrastructure, such that public transit is a viable day-to-day option for commuting to work, shopping, recreation?

From what I've read, SH might be the one. Can anyone confirm this or provide a counter point?

I know this is a lot, but does anyone have knowledge of good hospitals to work at in the area (ideally union)? Am I on the right track with Metro? Seems like they have a good mission statement.

Thanks in advance!

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

10,077 posts, read 9,554,617 times
Coming from Warren, I think you would find Cleveland pretty familiar feeling in general.

Day to day public transit commute to Metrohealth is where I'm struggling to find a suggestion for you, and keeping with the "excellent school" requirement. But regardless, I'd consider South Hills area of Old Brooklyn.

SH is nice but that commute on transit would be awful.

Old Today, 08:35 AM

131 posts, read 72,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenWanderer View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in your thoughts regarding my situation. Currently, my family lives in Portland, OR. My wife and I are from Warren, Ohio and have moved all over the country staying for a few years in Denver, Southeast Florida, and Portland. We are both nurses and earn a great living in Oregon, despite the notriously high COL but we both have large families in Ohio/Western PA. We want to be closer to family as we have a toddler and another on the way. We are hoping the COL will outweigh the massive pay cut we will take.

She is an APRN who will likely need to find an outpatient clinic and I'm a bedside, hospital nurse. I will most likely be working at MetroHealth's main campus. I really want to keep my commute to <30 minutes, or so. From what I understand, Metro would be most easily accessed from the western suburbs, though Too far west would put us very far away from Warren where most of our family live. We will be staying with family in Maple Heights while we decide where we will be.

I have been lurking for a while, gathering some research on opinions regarding the various NEO communities.

These are some things we would like to see in the community we choose to plant our roots:

-Diversity, which is to say- schools that reflect a wide range of backgrounds, ethnic restaurants, cultural events (Coming from Warren, we're used to a lot of Greek/Italian/Croatian/AA festivals and barbecues/fish fry, not sure if this is a Cleveland thing)
-Excellent schools

Is there a community in CLE that stisfies most of these criteria and also has infrastructure, such that public transit is a viable day-to-day option for commuting to work, shopping, recreation?

From what I've read, SH might be the one. Can anyone confirm this or provide a counter point?

I know this is a lot, but does anyone have knowledge of good hospitals to work at in the area (ideally union)? Am I on the right track with Metro? Seems like they have a good mission statement.

Thanks in advance!
There are many neighborhoods in Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and University Heights that would check many of your boxes. If Google Maps is to be believed, you can keep it under 30-mins by car to MetroHealth, although it depends on your specific commute days/times etc.

My gut tells me Shaker is your best overall match. The RTA light rail runs right through the heart of town, and brings some prime parts of the metro within reach on public transit. The parks are family friendly…check the Shaker Nature Center, among other things.

Houses can be had for sub $300K in any of these three locations, although things have gotten a bit crazy this past year. Bids over ask are pretty standard…so do your diligence.

Depending on which part of Warren, you have just a tad over an hour from any of those spots. I usually take the 422 route. If you were to live on the West side, that extra 20-30 mins is a pain…so advantage East side for you.

You will find strong diversity here. You have all the rich cultures that you found appealing in Warren, but you also have a vibrant Jewish (including Orthodox) community that is much more prevalent in the Heights than it is in Warren. Various ethnic festivals are frequent and legit, for all manner of heritages.

Others can chime in on schools as I don’t have a ton of insights there.

Coincidentally, I grew up in Warren, lived in Portland up until 4 months ago, and just moved back to NE Ohio. Glad I got out before the heat dome! Feel free to PM me if you’d like any insights on anything.

Good luck!

Old Today, 12:37 PM

9,908 posts, read 6,809,058 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

-Excellent schools

Thanks in advance!
Perhaps check out Cuyahoga Heights for a short commute to Metro, if you don't mind a small, but apparently excellent school district. It's not very diverse.

https://www.zillow.com/cuyahoga-heights-oh/

https://www.greatschools.org/ohio/cl...s-High-School/

https://www.zillow.com/cuyahoga-heights-oh/home-values/

Use Google transit to evaluated mass transit options to Metro Health. They apparently aren't very good, 50 minutes from nearby Cuyahoga Heights, just less than hour from western Shaker Heights, and over an hour from desirable west side suburbs.

Here is SlideRules' main search thread. Start with posts 29, 31.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...eveland-3.html

This thread also should prove helpful.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...mmunities.html

I would suggest starting your own thread.

Good luck!

Old Today, 01:00 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,341,522 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

-Excellent schools

Thanks in advance!
As others have mentioned, Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights are very good options. They're pretty diverse, and Shaker has very good public schools. There is also easy access to the cultural festivals that you mentioned. The Feast of the Assumption in Little Italy is a huge event every year, and I believe there's a Greek festival in the area as well. There are lots of Old World Eastern European restaurants in the area as well, and fish fries are a really big thing in Cleveland during Lent. There are also some disadvantages to the Heights though. As you mentioned, the commute would be fairly long and would be mostly city streets. Unfortunately the freeway system is not readily accessible from the Heights. The public transit access from the Heights to Metro probably wouldn't be great. There is access to the Rapid transit trains, but they'll only take you Downtown, and then you'll have to take a bus from there to Metro.

One other area that you might want to consider is the South Hills neighborhood of Old Brooklyn. It's only about 5-10 minutes by car from Metro, and it has easy access to freeways and public transportation. While it feeds into Cleveland Public Schools, which are not great aside from a few select magnet schools, the housing stock, diversity, and neighborhood feel is similar to what you might find in Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights. The property taxes are also MUCH lower, and the homes are generally less expensive. It's close to Cleveland's Hispanic neighborhoods, as well as the destination dining spots in Tremont and Ohio City, so there is a huge variety of dining options. There are many high quality private schools in the area that are diverse, although most of them on the West Side are Catholic (St. Ignatius, St. Ed's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland