U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:40 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommesfritzr View Post
I have been doing a GoogleEarth-recon of the area, and it looks promising. The buildings appear to be mostly single-family homes in that area, so maybe I should look for duplex/quadplex/granny-flat units there if affordable. Gooddog2's suggested area also looks like a possibility, and it appears there may be more apartment complexes east of the metro station.
Lakewood is THE place for Duplex rentals starting around $600 and up. Also a lot of cheaper apt rentals.
A few more places to check:
cleveland - apartments for rent - backpage.com

Cleveland and Ohio Apartments for Rent - cleveland.com

Quote:
Is there a walking/bicycle path along the entire length of Rocky River Park, and is it safe during daylight?
100% of the park has a hike\bike trail. The Park (or "The Valley" as some call it) is safe at all hours of the day (park is closed at night to pedestrians).

Quote:
Are the trains stations at Brookpark and Puritas generally safe? Are there any train stations that are high-risk?
Yea, they are very safe. Incidents at any of the train stations are very rare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 77,515 times
Awesome - Thank You! It's going to be great coming back home.

Who/what do you recommend for an Internet provider? Is it mostly ADSL, or is cable just as widespread? I found a list of cities in Ohio that Comcast services, and Cleveland wasn't one of them. I think that is probably a good thing from what I have heard.

From what I can tell, the Madison station is the closest metro stop for rail, so I guess it is mostly buses in that area. I had looked at Lakewood apartments online but they all look huge.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 AM

3,232 posts, read 4,211,453 times
Lots of people have Time Warner, which IMO sucks. I have AT&T U-Verse, which I'm happy with.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:32 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Job Search, Employment and Careers at Careerbuilder.com

CareerBuilder is another one.
I have Time Warner and it's great. Pricey though, of course.
Cox is in some cities. Wow is in others. ATT Uverse in many areas.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:20 AM

6 posts, read 77,515 times
Thanks, Peregrine and Cleverfield. I had Time Warner before leaving the southwest and although the cable (fast) broadband service was generally better than ADSL-1 at that time, the tech support and customer service left a lot to be desired. Besides, I think Comcast is still trying to acquire them.

"U-verse" reminds me of the Underverse from Riddick ! Is it FTTP (fiber to the premise) or to the node? What kind of DL/UL speeds and latency do you typically get, and is bandwidth tiered or limited, or degraded after a certain point? How is the customer service? One year contract? I'll have to wait until I can earn a regular income, but hopefully that won't be too long.

I recall visiting Cincy in around 2003 and there were no wifi cafes or hotspots. I assume the center business district has free public wifi as well as Starbucks, the malls and other shopping venues. I can probably get by with my 4G modem for a time connected to my desktop at home, and by using the cellular modem in my tablet and phone for mobile data. Which mobile provider has the best and reliably coverage? Mobile data speeds?

Thank you all again for your generous advice.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 13,369 times
Hi all,

I'm moving over to Cleveland from the Toledo area and will be working in Shaker Heights. I'm looking to rent an apartment or part of a duplex with a max budget around 800-850 in Cleveland Heights. From what I've gathered a good spot to look is in the area of Coventry/Cedar cross section. I don't want to have to worry too much about security of my place/car. I'm looking for some direction on apartments to look into, what the best route is to find duplexes to live in, or other places to look into. Any input is much appreciated.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,578,984 times
Craigslist. Maybe post the cross streets here of any you're interested in.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,335,776 times
I have no idea why, but I have a growinh fascination with Cleveland. From it's origins in 1796 to its history as a 20th century industrial center hub, it seems to be packed with history. And it appears to be a city with strong culture and generational roots. I love cities with aet, grit, and character. Cleveland appears to have all 3. So, I have decided to take a flight out there. Never been to the mudwest, so it should be fun.

Questions; where to explore downtow for history, restaurants, and potential living? Keep in mind I am not a 4 star kinda guy. Local eats are fine and actually preferred.

2nd question; where is the "artistic" neighborhood? Open mics, coffee houses, local performing arts venues. Again, I am def not looking to hear a major act. I prefer small local stuff. I like to get the pulse of the local area wherever I am.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:29 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,826,760 times
Start in the Tremont neighborhood. Walk around and visit the galleries and go eat at Sokolowski's.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 PM

207 posts, read 288,882 times
The Western Reserve Historical Society is a wonderful place for local history (local communities such as Chagrin Falls, Bedford, and Hudson have their own too). Visit the Cleveland Museum of Art (it's free) and hear the Cleveland Orchestra.

Attend a talk at the Cleveland City Club - it is on of the most prestigious speaking engagements in the country. Major figures have asked to speak there in order to make major announcements. People such as: Douglas MacArthur, Rosa Parks, MLK, Bobby Kennedy, Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Carter, John Boehner, Justice Scalia, T. Boone Pickens, and many others have given significant talks there.

As far as coffee, I like Pour. While there you can check out Terminal Tower, and you can get a ride on the rapid to the Little Italy area.

If you are interested in theater, we have the largest theater district outside of NYC. Also there are local theaters, such as Chagrin Valley Little Theater or The Hudson players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland