U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 PM

852 posts, read 1,065,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I have no idea why, but I have a growinh fascination with Cleveland. From it's origins in 1796 to its history as a 20th century industrial center hub, it seems to be packed with history. And it appears to be a city with strong culture and generational roots. I love cities with aet, grit, and character. Cleveland appears to have all 3. So, I have decided to take a flight out there. Never been to the mudwest, so it should be fun.

Questions; where to explore downtow for history, restaurants, and potential living? Keep in mind I am not a 4 star kinda guy. Local eats are fine and actually preferred.

2nd question; where is the "artistic" neighborhood? Open mics, coffee houses, local performing arts venues. Again, I am def not looking to hear a major act. I prefer small local stuff. I like to get the pulse of the local area wherever I am.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
1) Eat at Sokolowski's in Tremont! http://www.sokolowskis.com/ Very Cleveland working class.
2) An amazing live venue joint of acoustic music/folk/poetry etc...the Barking Spider http://www.barkingspidertavern.com/
3) Happy Dog http://www.happydogcleveland.com/about.php combination of food and live music

A cheap place to stay is the Cleveland Hostel...situated right on the Red Line. http://www.theclevelandhostel.com/

What week are you flying in?

You may want to start your own thread outside of this one.

Last edited by usaf_1832; 11-24-2014 at 09:09 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 PM

3,232 posts, read 4,211,453 times
Quote:
I have no idea why, but I have a growinh fascination with Cleveland. From it's origins in 1796 to its history as a 20th century industrial center hub, it seems to be packed with history. And it appears to be a city with strong culture and generational roots. I love cities with aet, grit, and character. Cleveland appears to have all 3. So, I have decided to take a flight out there. Never been to the mudwest, so it should be fun.

Questions; where to explore downtow for history, restaurants, and potential living? Keep in mind I am not a 4 star kinda guy. Local eats are fine and actually preferred.

2nd question; where is the "artistic" neighborhood? Open mics, coffee houses, local performing arts venues. Again, I am def not looking to hear a major act. I prefer small local stuff. I like to get the pulse of the local area wherever I am.

Artsy neighborhoods: Tremont, Ohio City, Gordon Square, University Circle, Waterloo, Lakewood, Cedar-Lee

Old 11-25-2014, 07:39 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,578,984 times
There's a locally owned bookstore in Tremont (I don't recall the name offhand). As you're walking along, pop in. There's an Images of America series of history books on Cleveland that I'm sure they have and that you migh be interested in.

They look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cleveland-1796...veland+history

Old 11-25-2014, 08:21 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,335,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
1) Eat at Sokolowski's in Tremont! Cleveland Restaurant | Polish Food, Ethnic & Polish Restaurant in Tremont | Sokolowskis Very Cleveland working class.
2) An amazing live venue joint of acoustic music/folk/poetry etc...the Barking Spider Cleveland Ohio music live folk blues bluegrass rock jazz gospel songwriters barking spider tavern
3) Happy Dog ABOUT HAPPY DOG combination of food and live music

A cheap place to stay is the Cleveland Hostel...situated right on the Red Line. The Cleveland Hostel

What week are you flying in?

You may want to start your own thread outside of this one.
Thanks to you and Cleverfield for the suggestions. Sounds great! Those two venues are exactly what I am looking for. I love the look of Happy Dog. I am planning this in a couple months, since everyone I spoke with told me now is not the season to do it. I may just go in a couple weeks though, because I'd like to experience some real Cleveland/Great Lakes weather. I mean, why not get the full experience? I guess my idea of a "vacation" is different than most . I will definitely put up a thread when I have it all planned out.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
There's a locally owned bookstore in Tremont (I don't recall the name offhand). As you're walking along, pop in. There's an Images of America series of history books on Cleveland that I'm sure they have and that you migh be interested in.

They look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cleveland-1796...veland+history
Awesome, thanks! I watched an hour long documentary of Cleveland on Youtube the other day. Really fascinating stuff.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 PM

360 posts, read 478,901 times
Quote:

The grit, culture, and great food are why we love it here! Curious-- are you from Sacramento?

Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 PM

9,583 posts, read 6,325,699 times
Here are a few other performance venues:

Rock'n Roll Concert Niteclub and restaurant: The Brothers Lounge 216.226.2767

Beachland Ballroom & Tavern

THE GREATEST LIVE MUSIC VENUE IN CLEVELAND

Home - Nighttown

Music Box Supper Club

There are others.

Gordon Square:

Gordon Square Arts District | About Us - The Art of Economic Development

Perhaps plan to visit Cleveland for a Third Friday celebration.

78th Street Studios

Here's some additional info, especially about dining.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g5...Cleveland.html

Last edited by WRnative; 11-26-2014 at 09:31 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
The grit, culture, and great food are why we love it here! Curious-- are you from Sacramento?
Yes from Sac. The more I research Cleveland the more I love it. Thanks WR Native for those suggestions too. Friend suggested I tour the entire great lakes region during my visit. I just might do that.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:48 PM

50 posts, read 52,773 times
Hi All,

I just got accepted at Case Western Law for the Fall of 2015, so I'll be moving to Cleveland when my lease here in Brooklyn expires in May. I'm looking for some general help with relocating.

I grew up in Cleveland Heights/Shaker Heights, but I've been gone ever since I left for college. That was about 8/9 years ago (I'm 27 now). I'm moving back with my girlfriend and 2 cats, and this time around I'm pretty insistent on living in Cleveland proper.

My preference is to live on the West Side, but I'm flexible. The two neighborhoods that interest me the most are Tremont (I generally hang out there when I come home to visit family) and Ohio City, but I would like to hear other suggestions.

Budget is around $1100/month, but I'd much prefer something cheaper than that. I also prefer to have my own house, but I understand that isn't always in the cards. Second to that would be a duplex, then a larger apartment building.

I'd love to hear anyone's general advice on moving to Cleveland, but I also have a few specific questions:

-Would anyone consider parts of Detroit/Shoreway unsafe? The area caught my attention due to it's proximity to Ohio City, but I know next to nothing about the place. Would I be all right living around, let's say, 44th and Bridge, and walking to and from bars around w. 25th? Are there any cutoff streets to use when searching for places?

-Where the heck do you find someone with a rental unit in Tremont? I get that it's the hip place now, but I'm having a decent amount of trouble with this.

-If I were to live in Tremont, it seems there might be a situation in which I would walk to the Red Line at w. 25th. Bad idea?

-My general perception of Tremont is that you stick in between the highways. Is that still the case? How big of a deal would it be to live outside those highways?

Anyway, thanks so much to anyone who has the time to answer any of this. It really seems like there is a wealth of Cleveland knowledge here, and I want to make sure I make an informed-as-possible decision.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:20 PM

3,232 posts, read 4,211,453 times
I'm not too familiar with those areas in terms of finding housing or safe neighborhoods (though I can tell you, you still want to stay between the freeways in Tremont). But another area that might be worth checking out if you're going to Case would be University Circle. It's really changed a lot for the better in recent years, with lots of bars, entertainment, restaurants, new condos/apartments, and a short distance from Little Italy and Coventry. The commute from Tremont or Ohio City to UC can also be rough during rush hour, so keep that option in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland