Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Perhaps look at Twinsburg in Summit County or communities within the West Geauga and Kenston school districts in Geauga County.

If you look up the Wikipedia article for any county, it lists all of the political subdivisions, including townships.

Chagrin Falls Township is the only one on the East Side in Cuyahoga County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyaho...Ohio#Townships

There are several townships in Geauga County with Chester, Russell, Bainbridge, and Auburn offering you the most convenient commutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geauga...Ohio#Townships

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
Hi All! I’m new to the Cleveland area. I’ll be working in Akron (for now), but I’ve exhausted my Akron apartment search.
I’m a single woman, 30 something. Enjoy coffee, eating, bars. Look forward to exploring and want a vibrant community with things to do and events.
I want an apartment, in the $1000 range. Must be dog friendly. Would like to keep my Akron commute to 1 hour max (I am a nurse and will be seeking employment at the local Cleveland hospitals).

Old 10-12-2018, 02:42 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,316,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseHeather View Post
Hi All! I’m new to the Cleveland area. I’ll be working in Akron (for now), but I’ve exhausted my Akron apartment search.
I’m a single woman, 30 something. Enjoy coffee, eating, bars. Look forward to exploring and want a vibrant community with things to do and events.
I want an apartment, in the $1000 range. Must be dog friendly. Would like to keep my Akron commute to 1 hour max (I am a nurse and will be seeking employment at the local Cleveland hospitals).
Get a AAA northeast Ohio map. If you will stay in the Akron area, Kent would be a good location to consider. However, if you definitely will switch jobs to some place closer to Cleveland, you likely want to live north of Akron for the near future.

More affordable suburbs north of Akron but closer to Cleveland that might fit your criteria would include Macedonia, Twinsburg and certainly Parma.

Old Brooklyn in Cleveland would be about 40 minutes to Akron General Hospital, with a large portion of the commute against traffic.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life-...-old-broo.html

Many threads linked here should be helpful, such as post 3 for an overview of Greater Cleveland, with a focus on the east side. The Larchmere neighborhood discussed in many of these threads likely would be ideal for you, especially if you want to switch jobs to the University Circle medical institutions and use mass transit (buses between Larchmere and University Circle).

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Use Google Transit (available at the Cleveland RTA home page) to check mass transit options between prospective residences and any place of employment, if that is a concern. E.g., my understanding is that the Cleveland Clinic main campus in University Circle charges all employees a monthly parking fee.

Also, pay special attention to Ohio's municipal income tax system, if you're not very familiar with it. Living in one community, but working in another one, could result in the payment of more municipal income taxes to the varied effective "residential" municipal income taxes (both income tax rates and residential tax credits vary between communities). Old Brooklyn and parts of Larchmere are in Cleveland, so no additional tax would be assessed if you work in Cleveland, such as in University Circle.

Options would change greatly if you decided to work eventually in Lake County or another county other than Cuyahoga County. Lake County is fairly upscale, and offers great parks (Holden Arboretum, Lake Metroparks, Mentor Headlands Beach State Park, Holden Arboretum), proximity to Lake Erie, Ohio's sixth largest retail center in Mentor, a good mass transit system (Laketran), and relatively short drives to downtown Cleveland and University Circle. Painesville likely offers among the more reasonable rents in Lake County and is convenient for Lake County medical employers, including Lake Health (TriPoint Medical Center is in Greater Painesville) and several Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals facilities. Willoughby might be an ideal location if you can find an affordable apartment with pet privileges within walkable distance of downtown Willoughby.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

For any community, use tripadvisor.com and yelp.com to check for local restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc.

Please let us know what you discover and where you end up for the benefit of future posters!

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 10-12-2018 at 02:55 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 6,903 times
Default Re: Apartment in Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseHeather View Post
Hi Heather, I live in Lakewood and it's a great place with plenty of things to do - bars, restaurants, coffee shops, pools, metroparks and Downtown nearby, etc. The commute to Akron is about 50 minutes but if you end up working at the Clinic downtown, there a lot of nurses that live in Lakewood.

There are plenty of apartments in your price range that are dog friendly.

https://www.apartments.com/lakewood-...-friendly-dog/

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2018, 11:12 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,136,595 times
Lakewood: The Root Cafe and El Carnicero

A LOT more, but lately, my two favorites.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 4,314 times
Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are newlyweds and recently moved to Cleveland from California. We are planning to purchase a home later this year. He works in Mentor, OH and I work in Warrensville Heights, OH. We are 30, African-american and want to live in a neighborhood that is safe, has good schools, is walk-able, diverse, and under 30min commute for both of us. (I would really love the small town feel with a community center, town square/shops, or library within walking distance, DH wants block parties lol) No kids yet as we plan to start a family after we buy a home. I've done a lot of reading on here and I feel that Shaker Heights would be a dream come true based on our preferences, but I do worry that the commute would be bad for my husband? Willoughby also seems to be a good fit but I am concerned about diversity. Also, DH jobs provides a relocation credit if we buy a home in Lake County but I haven't been able to find that charming neighborhood or street in Mentor so far. What do you all think? Also we would like to stay under $225K if that helps

Thanks so much!

Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM

6,598 posts, read 8,926,666 times
Willoughby to Warrensville Heights and Shaker to Mentor are both a bit of a commute. Do you both commute during rush hour?

Willoughby does have more of the traditional "town square" vibe that you mentioned, but Shaker gives it a run for its money with Shaker Square and the new Van Aken District.

I don't really have any experience with Willoughby other than the downtown area, but I live in Shaker Heights and it definitely has the sort of community appeal that you're looking for. There's lots of block parties and neighborhood events, and it's extremely family friendly.

Do take taxes into consideration. Shaker Heights has some of the highest in the state, so your "shaker budget" might actually be a little lower than in other areas.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Willoughby to Warrensville Heights and Shaker to Mentor are both a bit of a commute. Do you both commute during rush hour?

Willoughby does have more of the traditional "town square" vibe that you mentioned, but Shaker gives it a run for its money with Shaker Square and the new Van Aken District.

I don't really have any experience with Willoughby other than the downtown area, but I live in Shaker Heights and it definitely has the sort of community appeal that you're looking for. There's lots of block parties and neighborhood events, and it's extremely family friendly.

Do take taxes into consideration. Shaker Heights has some of the highest in the state, so your "shaker budget" might actually be a little lower than in other areas.
Thank you! Yes we both commute during rush hour, I start work at 8:30am and he starts at 9am.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM

6,598 posts, read 8,926,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azureloves View Post
Thank you! Yes we both commute during rush hour, I have to be to work by 8:30am and he has to be to work by 9am.
Hmm, tough call then. One of you is going to have a longer commute, so I'd probably just base it on whichever town you like better. Hopefully you can make some trips out here before any decisions need to be made.

One thing to consider is the longevity of these jobs. Will he be working in Mentor for years and years? Or might this be a transitional position that only lasts a few years? If it's the latter, then Shaker Heights might have the edge over Willoughby since it's closer to more potential future jobs, being closer to Cleveland itself.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Hmm, tough call then. One of you is going to have a longer commute, so I'd probably just base it on whichever town you like better. Hopefully you can make some trips out here before any decisions need to be made.

One thing to consider is the longevity of these jobs. Will he be working in Mentor for years and years? Or might this be a transitional position that only lasts a few years? If it's the latter, then Shaker Heights might have the edge over Willoughby since it's closer to more potential future jobs, being closer to Cleveland itself.
Yes he would prefer the longer commute because I do most of the cooking/housework, but I really don't want him driving longer than 25-30 mins especially in winter. Shaker Heights being closer to Cleveland, in terms of future jobs, is actually a really great point that we hadn't considered thus far. Also, we are in OH now, we're renting in Mayfield Heights at the moment and we've just started checking out a few areas on the weekends. We'll definitely have to see the Van Aken District though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland