Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,366 times

Advertisements

My telephone (and computer) had been out for over a week. AT&T had already sent several techs out who could not find the problem, so because I’m a senior and have no cell phone, I complained about not being able to call anyone if I had an emergency. So, AT&T sent another tech out the next day. I have a very small back yard and a large Arborvitae which does a good job of hiding the low cable and phone lines which run directly over the middle of it.

The tech said he might have to trim the Arborvitae to access the ‘black box’. I have lived here for over 30 years and the cable and telephone companies have always trimmed the tree a little to access their boxes, so I thought nothing of this tech’s comment. I had an appointment and had to leave and when I returned home I was horrified to see that the tech had cut every single branch off the Arborvitae, from the ground all the way up to the black box. He’d even cut off branches that obviously would not have interfered with his ladder or his work. (Even subsequent techs have said he’d been ‘over zealous’ in his limb chopping.) Plus, he had not satisfactorily fixed my telephone.

This was almost three weeks ago and now it looks as if the tree is dying.

I am painting and fixing up and plan to sell my home in the spring. I’d already set a sale price, but now that all the utility wires will be exposed, it will scare potential buyers. Thus, I’ll have to substantially lower my asking price. Plus, my backyard is a Registered Wildlife Habitat, and the destruction of the Arborvitae will have a huge impact on the birds who over-winter, and the small critters who found protection under the tree. Then, there's the re-landscaping I'll have to do in the spring to fill in a 10-foot gap that once housed a beautiful Arborvitae.

I’m in tears about the destruction of this tree. I realize that AT&T has an easement, but I feel that there was unnecessary damage done to my property, not to mention its loss of value. Do I have any recourse?

Last edited by jcfred; 10-19-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 PM

816 posts, read 1,398,580 times
I use to install cable and I do agree that sometimes you have to cut some branches off trees so that they don't obstruct the cable lines. However I'm not sure about your situation; the technician may have gone overboard or he may actually had to cut the branches. There is really no saying on that one without any of us seeing the situation. But honestly, do you really think that some branches cut off from a tree will affect your property value that much???? That's kind of silly isn't it? Out of curiosity, how long do you think it would take for the cut branches to grow back? I understand your frustration about it, but I feel that you are way overreacting.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:08 AM

555 posts, read 894,031 times
Arborvitae take years to reach the size described. If the potential buyer wants to buy a wildlife habitat, losing a major overwintering site is a big deal.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,366 times
Rebek56 is right about the re-growth -- it does take years, as Arborvitae are slow growing. This tree really was huge; it covered up the telephone pole and the large silver transmitter box, plus it hid my compost pile so now there's no place to compost. If my yard were large I'd think nothing of it, but it's the smallest backyard on the street and has only two other small fruit trees. The Arborvitae was a major part of my back yard and a magnificent bird hotel.
I have called the original AT&T Manager a number of times but he hasn't called back. I had planned on taking AT&T to small claims anyway because for three + years I've been paying them for an "unpublished number," and for three years my name has been listed in the telephone book that they (or someone) distributes. That's breach of contract. The Arborvitae tragedy just clinches the deal..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland