Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:49 PM

11 posts, read 25,284 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Cleveland area recently. I used to live in Vegas. The dark days are depressing (no offense to any Clevelanders). Hopefully it's sunnier in spring and summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 05:52 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
It is! Winter isn't the best time to become accustomed to this place, but we do have 5 months a year where average high is above 70 and 7 months a year where it is around or above 60. Promise!

Old 12-13-2014, 08:28 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
... it's December.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default December & January are most cloudy

You can check cloud cover here, as well as average weather for any month. It almost always is cloudy in December and January. You've moved from one of the sunniest places in the U.S. to one of the cloudiest.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Cloudiest Cities in US - Current Results

Compounding the depressing effect for you is that days are shorter in Cleveland.

On December 15, the day is 9 hours and 12 minutes in Cleveland versus 9 hours 42 minutes in Las Vegas.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Some persons react very negatively to the clouds and shorter days. Special lighting makes a big difference, and you may want to consult a physician. Physical activity such as swimming, hiking, cross country skiing, etc., also is beneficial IMO. Keep in mind that there is a lot more sunlight outside than in a house.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/feat...ctive-disorder

Sunny days in winter, especially when snow is on the ground, are a great time to get out in the area's great park system, or a place like Holden Arboretum in Kirtland, in order to reinvigorate yourself. Last February, when we had a throwback cold spell not seen in many years due to global warming, I even took a hike at Mentor Headlands Beach State Park out 1-2 miles on a frozen Lake Erie (it's potentially dangerous, but the lake had been frozen for many days, many persons were doing the hike, and I periodically checked the ice by jumping on it carefully). That's something you can't do in Las Vegas and believe me, it really recharges the batteries.

Here's why Clevelanders perhaps should look at clouds as a blessing rather than a curse.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/ame...-bad-news.html

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...est-cities.php

Many Clevelanders actually enjoy the snow, rivers, waterfalls, green fields, lush forests, and certainly Lake Erie, with its sister Great Lakes, the source of the clouds. We don't have dust storms!!!

Last edited by WRnative; 12-13-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 09:48 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.bratton View Post
I just moved to the Cleveland area recently. I used to live in Vegas. The dark days are depressing (no offense to any Clevelanders). Hopefully it's sunnier in spring and summer.
No worries, it's nothing that some good medication can take of to get you thru

Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Compounding the depressing effect for you is that days are shorter in Cleveland.

On December 15, the day is 9 hours and 12 minutes in Cleveland versus 9 hours 42 minutes in Las Vegas.
Conversely, we have very long summer days.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:16 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Conversely, we have very long summer days.
Good point! Cleveland summer days are just over a half hour longer than LV near the summer equinox, according to weatherspark.com.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Matt, I just moved here for Portland OR so I am very familiar with continual overcast winter days. For me, I love 'em. I have never been a sun worshiper so I am right at home. I did know people in Portland though who moved from sunny climates to more overcast ones such as yourself and had to go through a period of adjustment.

Some are helped with vitamin D if they cannot shake the doldrums but proceed with caution and consult a doctor to see if you are deficient in that area. Also, if you feel you might have SAD, Seasonal Depressive Disorder there are special lamps you can buy, with a doctor's consultation and prescription. They emit special rays you are missing from the sun. These are not sunlamps though, those do not have these rays and are harmful for this purpose.

Chances are it is just a matter of getting used to a different climate and in a little while you will be fine. And sunshine will show up. I saw on a weather report we are having an inversion so the sun is gone away for a bit but will peek through eventually.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:09 PM

To balance the crappy winters, we do typically have phenomenal summers. 70s, 80s, very long summer days where at the peak it isn't dark until after 9pm, and usually only a couple of weeks where it is so hot it is uncomfortable. I would consider somewhere around April to May through about October to be functionally nice for being out of doors. There can be times beyond those periods but I can usually count on that 5 to 6 months stretch. Then you have other points where it is nice for colder weather. I will agree this type of weather where it is gray and cold but not cold enough to snow is what I would say is our low point.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:59 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Does Vegas ever see rain? Seriously, it's December, why SHOULD it be warm and sunny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland