Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:14 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times

Advertisements

That's a really good point, teacherdad. They do say that, that the third time's the charm! I'm keeping this thought in my mind.

Minervah, you're so thoughtful in putting that idea of flying the cat out, but I wouldn't be needing to do that since I'd move from North Carolina. It's an overnight trip and I'd take the dog and cat in the car with me. What I meant about not wanting to fly the cat would be if I were to look for a teaching job abroad. That would not be a good idea to take her that far, unless it would be like you recommended.

Things just aren't working here at all. I was hired for a 5-6 week contract job here. I may have mentioned it previously. I was supposed to start this Monday. I went and after 4 hours they told us to leave, some sort of glitch in not having us in the system (6 people). The client said they'd let us know when to return, but it would be today, Friday, or Monday. I had a call today that they aren't ready for us for Monday either. Yes, we've had the New Year's holiday this week, but come on, to not be able to enter six names in a computer system between Monday and Friday? It's always something, always a brick wall, always something not working due to outside forces here. I started off temping in Ohio too, but at the time I had a great agency I worked for there, and it would've been a matter of time to land a job.

Minervah, there's a lot to do in Cleveland socially, isn't there? Not even singles-geared activities, but things in general. I loved University Circle. And the Emerald Necklace parks. What have you found there as a bit older person too to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I have just begun to explore since I just moved here in June. I don't drive so I don't get around as easily if I did but I am finding things to do. First of all there is "Meet UP" which is an organization you can sign up with on the Internet. They have about a zillion different special interest groups of all ages. If you don't like what you see they even encourage you to form your own.

I am 68 so I often go to the senior center in Cleveland Heights where I live. They have a lot of activities there for us old geezers and are the facility which houses the AARP meetings but I think you are too young for those things.

I am just a few minutes away from University Circle and there are always things going on around there. This spring when the weather gets nice, I plan to use the Red Line Rapid to to and explore downtown and the neighborhoods about which I have been reading in a book I just picked up called "New To Cleveland" by Justin Glanville.

This forum has also been helpful suggesting places to go and things to do and see. Just reading various threads about the city is always a learning experience.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 AM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
I bought the same book when we were in Cleveland for the One World Festival and highly recommend it. It's given us lots of ideas for things to do the next time we're in the area. BTW, Miamian, there is a great bookstore on Larchmere just north of Shaker Square--a real bookstore, curated by actual humans who read.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:46 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I bought the same book when we were in Cleveland for the One World Festival and highly recommend it. It's given us lots of ideas for things to do the next time we're in the area. BTW, Miamian, there is a great bookstore on Larchmere just north of Shaker Square--a real bookstore, curated by actual humans who read.
LOL! That's funny because it brought to mind a picture of cats with glasses all reading books.

I bought my copy at a bookstore in Chagrin Falls. There is a much closer one to me just a couple of blocks away in Cleveland Heights called "The Appletree." It's run by a very nice lady who recently purchased it from the previous owner. I bought a book on the history of Cleveland Heights and Ohio at her store.

For fun, I Googled the State of Ohio's Internet website and discovered that there are many free booklets for which one can send away with all sorts of information. My favorite is compiled by the Secretary of State's office that has all kinds of interesting but often little known facts about Ohio.

As an example, did you know we have a state amphibian? It's the Spotted Salamander. That goes along with our State Frog, the Bullfrog. Our state insect is cuter, it's the Ladybug.

The pamphlet which is chock full of Ohio trivia for nerds like me who have waaay to much time on their hands is called "Profile Ohio."

Old 01-03-2015, 07:34 PM

196 posts, read 212,885 times
Hi Miamian in NC,
In early 2014 I traveled to Peru to get TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification. It was a 5-week course (120 hours with a week of supervised teaching). My plan was to return to Central America and teach (but had to return to the US after almost 18 mos in Guatemala).

The pay is not great (generally about $2/hour when you start out). You could do an online M.A. Tesol program, which would open up many more opportunities as U.S. universities command a great deal of respect from other countries. Esp a masters degree. However, I do not recommend this path unless you truly LOVE and appreciate other diversity, other cultures, travel, and can adapt to different conditions/circumstances easily.

I loved the teaching that I did in Peru (and later in Bolivia). It was gratifying to work with adults (the teens are often much less committed) who understand how their lives will be transformed by learning English. It can mean the difference between living in a dirt floor house with a wood fire in the middle of the room to a more comfortable middle-classish lifestyle.

I keep meaning to check into a program called Open English. It's online teaching (and there are many other options, too). I think OE only pays about $1000/mo for 20 hours per week of work, but it's something.There is a high demand for teachers with a North American accent.

I think a salary of about $2000-$3000/mo would work in most of Latin America or Asia.

Finally, when I moved to Guatemala I brought FIVE pets with me. I was traveling with someone, so we had my tiny dog and one cat in the cabin with us; the other three were in cargo. It does involve leg work, a vet visit, trip to a local USDA office, but is totally feasible.

I just wanted to weigh in as someone who became TEFL certified abroad. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:50 PM

17 posts, read 24,249 times
I am a 50+ woman and I am very happy in Willoughby. It is n the east side of Cleveland, Love living and an older restored home, there are plenty to choose from, and there is always something going on downtown. Check it out! My best friend lives in Escondido-- you will have a much better pricing here.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:01 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times
Good stuff here. Interesting how I guess most of us are women. That bookstore you reference in Shaker Heights, Rebek5 made me think of that cute little bookstore Meg Ryan owned in "You've Got Mail." Minervah, there have got to be a bunch of special interest groups there. Meetup is everywhere, and I've gone to some Meetup gatherings here too. I don't know, it just seemed people were a lot more receptive and not stand-offish up in that area. Well, they call Ohio the Heartland of America, after all.

ByeByeSanDiego, yes, the conditions are what cause me concern about going abroad, particularly alone. Unless it were through a referral, I kind of question some of the organizations advertising teaching abroad, especially in the really rural areas. I wonder how different a TEFL course of study is compared to what I have, the certificate in TESL. I know the difference in the acronym, "Second" vs. "Foreign," but I don't know the difference in the curriculum. I still think about the Master's in Findlay, but the thought of going into debt for a loan makes me worry.

Things are not going well here in Raleigh on any level, right now professionally more than anything. What I'd really like to do is go back to proofreading. I'd even be happy working in one of those cute bookstores or a specialty shop. There is so much in Lakewood, and also in the Shaker Heights area. First thing is to make some contacts. I just renewed my lease but not for a year. I'm thinking if I could land something between now and spring I can come up and sublet the apt. here.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Age-50-male also here. If you're from Chicago, you'll also like Cleveland. As Raspberries lead singer (and Clevelander) Eric Carmen says, "It's Chicago without the hassles." If you could see yourself relocating to Chicago from Cali, then you'll be just fine in Cleveland.
I also once lived in Chicago. Agree wholeheartedly with Eric. Great place for people "of our generation." And i'd imagine, a whole lot less emphasis on being San Diego Young and Beautiful (though Cleveland could certainly get healthier).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland