Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 PM

59 posts, read 100,300 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

Im wondering if anyone can tell me where would be best to live for loads of snow in the winter time? Im moving to Kent, OH, but I will soon need to find my own place, and I want to live somewhere where the winters are very harsh - in terms of snow.

Can anyone suggest anywhere?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:27 PM

207 posts, read 338,767 times
Chardon, Chesterland and Gates Mills come to mind.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:34 PM

Thanks jprice15. I will check these areas out! Are these areas nice places to live?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotland2USA View Post
Thanks jprice15. I will check these areas out! Are these areas nice places to live?
Yes, Gates Mills is very exclusive, only surpassed by Hunting Valley (6th highest income per capita in the US ). Chesterland, Kirtland, and Chardon are all very nice areas. They are more economically accessible (and economically diverse) than Gates Mills.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,939 times
Stick to the southeast suburbs/exurbs. Others have already mentioned places like Chardon but there's smaller towns out in BFE that get hit harder(eg Montville). Geauga county, inland Lake county, and southeast Cuyahoga county are your best bets.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Hi Folks,

Im wondering if anyone can tell me where would be best to live for loads of snow in the winter time? Im moving to Kent, OH, but I will soon need to find my own place, and I want to live somewhere where the winters are very harsh - in terms of snow.

Can anyone suggest anywhere?

Thanks.
Please explain why if you'll be working in Kent that you would want to live so far away just for harsh winter weather.

You can always visit the snow belt in your free time (check out Kirtland in the travel article below for Holden Arboretum, Gildersleeve Mountain, etc.). Kent is closer to attractions such as the Mohican Region and Ohio Amish Country, also beautiful in the winter. E.g., check out discussions in the travel article below.

Check out Cuyahoga Valley National Park (downhill skiing) in the article below and Punderson State Park near Newbury for winter sports.

Cleveland: Day Trips - TripAdvisor

Also, winter weather/snow maybe is now only two months in northeast Ohio. What about the remaining 10 months of the year? With global warming, the winters are much more muted than several decades ago. We've had one big snowfall this year (in late November) with almost no snow (by Western Reserve standards) in December and so far in January.

Have you ever commuted a long distance in the winter? It gets old very quickly, especially during storms and white outs. Driving on black ice in the dark on hilly, secondary roads is dangerous. With warmer winters, there are more freeze/thaw days and more black ice risk. Ice storms are nasty for driving.

Kent is in the Allegheny foothills and is very beautiful with good parks in the area. Check out local orchards and farm markets, such as the Beckwith Orchard in Brady Lake.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:19 AM

thanks guys for your responses. the need to live where there is lots of snow is important because i actually do love snow. i love everything about it in terms of being out and about in it, and watching it from the window, when in the house with the open fire burning. in terms of city/town - we would like to live somewhere where there is a downtown area in close proximity, where we could go to a bar, or a restarurant - generally just a main place where people congregate.

i have commuted in snow many times before - some people hate it, but i absolutely love it! ive loved snow since i was a kid, and im 34 now, and ive not changed! i suppose im searching for the perfect place to make a life with my wife and kids when we arrive in ohio in 4 weeks, which is why we really want the 4 seasons, with particular focus on snowy winters. nice parks, downcity/downtown, and walkability etc are also good.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
thanks guys for your responses. the need to live where there is lots of snow is important because i actually do love snow. i love everything about it in terms of being out and about in it, and watching it from the window, when in the house with the open fire burning. in terms of city/town - we would like to live somewhere where there is a downtown area in close proximity, where we could go to a bar, or a restarurant - generally just a main place where people congregate.

i have commuted in snow many times before - some people hate it, but i absolutely love it! ive loved snow since i was a kid, and im 34 now, and ive not changed! i suppose im searching for the perfect place to make a life with my wife and kids when we arrive in ohio in 4 weeks, which is why we really want the 4 seasons, with particular focus on snowy winters. nice parks, downcity/downtown, and walkability etc are also good.
Great, but you're talking about a long, perhaps dangerous commute between Kent and the snow belt, even in good weather. Adding in a downtown, good schools complicates the proposition.

You likely would use secondary roads, which have lowered speed zones/speed traps, hidden drives, stop lights, four-way stops, deer (a big issue in northeast Ohio) crossings, possibly even Amish buggies in no-pass zones, black ice in winter, etc. Drive these roads after dark, note all of the drives and side roads, stops signs, etc., and you'll begin to understand the problem. The last time I drove route 44 north from Streetsboro, it took 15 minutes longer than if I had driven the longer route using I-271 and I-90, and I was on my toes the entire time, often turning on my bright lights. Note that your commute could be double or longer on icy, snowy roads.

When you visit Kent, drive Routes 43/306 north from Kent, checking communities along the way, to Kirtland. Check out at least the Lake County Metroparks Farmpark and especially Holden Arboretum, one of the largest and best in the U.S. The drive to Chardon, capital of the snow belt, and likely a place that would meet your criteria. Then visit, Burton and Newbury, and check out Punderson State Park. See Kirtland here, as well as Western Reserve towns. Note Ohio Amish Country and Kent discussions.

Cleveland: Day Trips - TripAdvisor

In four weeks, visit maple sugar bushes. There are good ones at the Lake farm park and in Burton.

Check out Chagrin Falls, if you can afford housing there. It should have adequate snow. It has the most charming downtown in northeast Ohio. It has great schools. The commute on Routes 306/43 would be much shorter than Chardon. Check out the South Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks. You would be close to the northern Ohio shopping mecca of Beachwood Place/Legacy Village. Perhaps also check out the Green Road park 'n ride RTA rail rapid station (likely full during business hours on week days by commuters); buy day passes, stop at Shaker Square, continue downtown, explore and then take the Healthline bus rapid to University Circle, noting PlayhouseSquare on the way; note Severance Hall and visit the Cleveland Museum of Art, perhaps the natural history museum. Return by bus to Shaker Square and take the rapid back to the Green Road station.

Cleveland: Tips for Visiting Cleveland - TripAdvisor

Visit Cuyahoga Valley National Park. See the day trips article discussion.

Consider renting for a year to see if you actually are happy with your "snow" commute.

BOL!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
G
Check out Chagrin Falls, if you can afford housing there. It should have adequate snow. It has the most charming downtown in northeast Ohio. It has great schools.
BOL!
Good point about Chagrin Fall

Old 01-27-2015, 05:50 PM

Default Ice at Stebbins Gulch in Holden Arboretum

Stebbins Gulch is part of Holden Natural Areas, a National Natural Landmark inside Holden Arboretum in Kirtland. I thought you would enjoy these pictures from a few days ago:

Picture Ohio! – Icicles in Stebbins Gulch, Using an iPhone 6 « Ian Adams Photography

Check out The Wilds further into the Ian Adams blog. It's about three hours south of Cleveland, so you can see snow isn't limited to just the snow belt of northeast Ohio.

Blog & News « Ian Adams Photography
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland