Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 PM

391 posts, read 453,547 times

Advertisements

Just looking for general info. I'm in the Seattle area, moved here from NYC. While I like it way more than NYC due to QOL issues, I don't know if its exactly my cup of tea. People in WA are mad corny, aloof, weird, passive aggressive, fake/flaky and smug (annoying as hell). Hard to connect with. Seattle is nice, but nothing special really, and many people here think they are hot **** when in reality they are just marks (hipsters). It's supposed to be a big city, but despite the large population, Seattle is pretty boring and low key, and many people tend to stay inside, partly cuz of rainy, cloudy weather, partly cuz of the mellow culture. I wonder how people in OH are towards newcomers and whether its more liberal than conservative. While I am not ultra liberal, I have been discriminated before due to my heritage (I'm a Russian immigrant) so that's important to me. I don't like anyone imposing their views on me. I am not a fan of depressing Seattle cloudiness 8-9 months/yr, but I also hate heat/humidity. What concerns me is the job market and the economy. I work the govt here. CLE seems like a real city with backbone and charcter, which is attractive to me coming from the NE and feels like it will be more similar to what Im used to in Ny/Nj vs Seattle. CLE is closer to east coast anyway, dont know if that affects anything, but older Midwest cities seem more aligned with older NE cities than West.

To sum it up:

What's the vibe like?
Would it be a culture shock to someone coming from NYC/WA?
How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?
Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually?
How's nightlife? Are there good museums, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants?
Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?
How's the women?

Any other relevant info will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 03:03 PM

207 posts, read 338,735 times
Cleveland has a huge Russian and Polish presence (along with other Eastern European groups, I'm sure). As far as religion, some communities in CLE have the largest Jewish population per capita in the US. Race isn't an issue; people are accepting.

We have the Cleveland Orchestra, which is arguably the best in the US. During the summer, they play at an outdoor pavilion -Blossom Music Center. Blossom also attracts many of the biggest names outside of Classical music.

There are many other music options such as the House of Blues. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland

The art museum, which is free, is noted (regularly featured in WSJ and NY Times) for its fine collection. Cleveland's statue by
Praxiteles is one of (maybe the most) significant statues in the Western Hemisphere (Later Roman copies are in the Louvre and the Vatican). We have Water Lilies and other noted works by Monet, Degas and Renoir. Also, a noted European collection (crucifixion of st andrew, The Holy Family on the Steps) and a respected amour collection. The Far East collections (and perhaps Egyptian) collections are most noted.

We also have a contemporary art museum, natural history museum, botanical gardens, Western Reserve Historical Society, among others.

Cleveland has the largest theater district in the US, outside of NYC.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Cool. Anything on the economy and the city vibe? I heard it has some rough parts.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:24 PM

538 posts, read 658,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
Cool. Anything on the economy and the city vibe? I heard it has some rough parts.
The economy continues to get better year after year.

Being from NYC myself, the areas that are bad here (Midtown, parts of the Westside, etc) are no different than the South Bronx or East New York. They don't offer anything, so stay out of them and you will be fine.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
The economy continues to get better year after year.

Being from NYC myself, the areas that are bad here (Midtown, parts of the Westside, etc) are no different than the South Bronx or East New York. They don't offer anything, so stay out of them and you will be fine.
Well i actually been to both those areas to meet some fine ghetto women, but I kno what u saying. What made u move to CLE? How u like it vs NYC?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:31 PM

207 posts, read 338,735 times
I'm not sure what you what to know regarding women. Yes, there are women in Cleveland. Yes, they range in looks, education, location, etc. I don't have much to say regarding your salacious question.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice15 View Post
I'm not sure what you what to know regarding women. Yes, there are women in Cleveland. Yes, they range in looks, education, location, etc. I don't have much to say regarding your salacious question.
Was a statement

Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Well i actually been to both those areas to meet some fine ghetto women, but I kno what u saying. What made u move to CLE? How u like it vs NYC?
A job opportunity is what made me move, and I really like it here. Has the big city feel, culture and amenities with the cost of living of a place that is in the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
A job opportunity is what made me move, and I really like it here. Has the big city feel, culture and amenities with the cost of living of a place that is in the middle of nowhere.
Makes sense. How much for a decent 1 bd apt in a decent area? (Washer/dryer, parking)

Old 01-27-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Makes sense. How much for a decent 1 bd apt in a decent area? (Washer/dryer, parking)
Most new downtown apts are going about $1/sq ft so it really depends how big of a place your looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: