Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Ah, but don't some Clevelanders on this board do exactly that when they start yapping about Chicago's murder rate?

All I do in response is point out that when you do the math properly, Cleveland's murder rate turns out to be just as bad -- indeed, somewhat worse.

I will continue to correct misinformation when I come across it. If that puts people's noses out of joint, well, I don't know what to say.

Thank you for sharing.

Yeah, some Clevelanders do it but more Chicagoians are bigger offenders of it. I also addressed the Clevelanders who do it as well in my response, all I'm saying is that nobody should do it. A high murder rate is bad for any city whether it's Cleveland or Chicago, and doesn't matter how many people that make up the population of a city. Cleveland gets thrown under the bus constantly on the national as being the poster child for "The Rust Belt" and the comedians' whipping boy just like Chicago gets thrown under the bus nationally for its politics and its high murder rate. It may not be your intent, but most people on the Cleveland board feels that you rub living in Chicago in Cleveland's face like you're trying to make yourself seem superior to Clevelanders as if you live in the center of the world and Clevelanders live in the sticks. But, let's talk about crime in our respective cities open and intelligently without animosity or any superiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:59 PM

60 posts, read 102,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
I think it's typical of people who have spent most (or all) of their lives in one place to see it objectively. Especially if that place has been the butt of jokes. Cleveland Mitchell, what your top 3-5 favorite things about CLE so far?

I have lived in Chicago (hometown), NYC, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Nashville, San Diego and Northern VA, all between the ages of 25 and 48.

The only place I moved to that was truly MY decision (and by myself) was Atlanta, and I loved it for that. Unfortunately, I didn't understand the importance of that at the time. I have finally realized that being in a place that meets MY needs, values and priorities - not someone else's, or because it's on a Kiplinger's list - is critical to my happiness. I know, this is a truly brilliant epiphany ;-) haha

I've been looking at cities like Tucson in the West, and Cleveland, Lexington KY and, yes, even Detroit. I'm 50 years old, starting over, and I know that at my age I don't want to spend the rest of my making ridiculous mortgage payments. I want a decent quality of life, even if it means dealing with weather again, I like good food, older homes, friendly people, and convenience. A low mortgage payment will allow me to do more things - like travel.

I also like character and grit. I was in La Paz, Bolivia at this time last year and I was always surprised when visitors complained about the urban decay, because I saw so much beauty and possibility in crumbling structures. I'm also an ardent champion of the underdog, which is probably why Cleveland and Detroit are appealing. The idea of contributing to a city's renaissance appeals to me.

Living in San Diego comes with such a hefty price tag, and most of my friends here are happy to sacrifice because they can't imagine living anywhere else. One of my dearest friends is 58, has NO savings of any kind, and will not leave San Diego because it's "paradise." My idea of paradise is being economically stable and having options.

As much as I love San Diego, as a city girl, I find it to be a bit bland and vanilla at times. I miss seasons. It was 86 degrees here on Friday and I was disappointed. Once you get east of the beaches, it's a lot like everywhere else, but with better weather.

I can't wait to meet Cleveland!
Ok my top favorite thing is Cleveland Is most def The Food this is a great food town with a lot of great food 2nd Would have to be the west side market its a great indoor market with also GREAT FOOD all different kinds of meat GREAT BEEF JERKY and I don't even like beef jerky and next would be Playhouse square Cleveland has A GREAT theater district one of the biggest in the country bunch of great affordable plays also one of favorites is the BAR scene Cleveland has a GREAT bar scene bunch of cool dives and great affordable BEER and Cleveland also has great museums and very nice friendly people but I love this city a lot I think its great town I love the feel of it hardworking town very blue coller And they have great beautiful Homes for a very affordable prices and also for cheaper they have a lot of great houses waiting to be restored I just love cleveland Its super vintage I think you would love it here its a whole different energy then the west coast

Last edited by cleveland mitchell; 02-15-2015 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: left a word out

Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 PM

I havent been to Chicago always wanted to go one day But Cleveland is the **** one of americas best kept secrets I love Cleveland ohio I love the underdawg complex it's super vintage like living in a pair of orginal Air Jordans from the 90s

Last edited by cleveland mitchell; 02-15-2015 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Cause its so old fashioned and traditional, atleast thats what me and my friends thought when we were there. I was born here, spent my first 6 or so years here, then came back for my teenage years, 12-17. I wont lie, I hated it. And so did my friends. Everyone thinks so old in Cleveland. People do the same stuff, watch the same Browns try to go past 5-11(at that time) year after year, same ole Indians, but hey atleast we had Lebron, then even he left and it got really bad. Plus the fact that during that time the economy absolutely sucked, and everyone was moving out. And I mean everyone. CLE made the worst cities list like three years in a row in the late 2000s, and people always reminded me of that.

But the main thing, like the guy above me said, is because the national image. Nothing urked me more as a teen, then telling people I gamed with and made friends with on the internet I was in Cleveland, and theyd go lolclevelandsux, so I always just said Ohio. Till this day I still dont like to say Cleveland, but it is my original town, and tbh I have more pride as a native Ohioan than a Clevelander, I wouldnt be one anyways, I spent all my years in my bedroom, homeschooled, playing video games all day isolated when I was in Cleveland, and why couldnt I go to public school? We literally had kids bringing guns to school every week, I didnt fit in AT ALL at those schools and my Mom refused to send me even after I became so lonely from having no friends, I was depressed for two years, cause the only other people in my area were thugs or people walking in 'gangs' thinking they go hard.

Thats another thing, the schools and people were terrible. I only had 4 friends I got along with(on my street, and they were all younger than me, so I didnt even hang out with other high schoolers) the whole time in Cleveland, everyone wanted to be hip and badass up there. Me being a Black Sheep just cause I dont listen to Gucci Mane, little wayne and Drake. Wanted to go 'tap some thots' and screw around. And most of all about Cleveland, is the west side. Its terrible being on the west side as a black person(my grama lives there). When I went into Giant Eagle in Rocky River at night, people satred at me like I was a ghost everytime. And even had to say a few times "dont worry, I wont steal anything" then they give me this fake smile, taht same damn fake smile, like most people on the west side do, like it was all a-okay. Seriously, Id rather have them call me a Negro to m face than act fake like that. Eyeing me when I walk behind them like im about to shank them over in Parma etc, I hated, hated, hated being Black in Cleveland. And youre stereotped like heck. And actually speaking of Parma, I was just visiting the family 5 months ago, we walked in a bowling alley wo bowl, and EVERYONE stared at us when we walked in, like we were Unicorns or something, in 2014, ridiculous.

My family has terrible history with racial conflict in Cleveland, such as my Uncle, back in the 80s getting his clothes burned by school kids cause him and my aunts were the only black kids in the school (My grama was a very successful nurse at the time and was one of the few blacks nurse in Beachwood I guess, she made hella money and had this infeiorit complex, so she decided to put her kids in a good 'white' school, my granfather hated having them there, cause he knew how the kids were) , they said it was at a school called "Jayzoo", then my Aunt especially hated it cause she said the kids would call her a Oreo cause she was black and tried to 'act white; by speaking properly, she eventually dropped out and did homeschool, and my Mom also ran away, and bam, she got pregnant and I was born, great family history huh? Pshh...

I take no pride or good memories from being from a place with such terrible history. And that goes for the Blacks too. May Day, back in the 90s beating up white kids for no reason. You think I wanna be known as being from a place where Black people at like coons? I hated it. And I especially ahted how when I told people on the internet I was from CLE, they automatically assumed I was Black. It really was the Mistake on the Lake to me. Now, its nostalgic, and by that, all I miss are my 4 friends I had, and the snow, we dont get snow here in Atlanta. And of course being born a Buckeye. I have tons of Ohioan pride. Like us having the most astronauts into space, our football team of course, football being born there, and the athletes that hail from Ohio that everyone in the nation wants in college football.

But Cleveland pride...? Not so much. Ill always have a little love for CLE, but only cause my family is there and I have memories of few friends I did have. I did become a man there too. If my family wasnt still in CLE, after all the turmoil we went through living there, I wouldnt mind at all washing my hands of it. And even all my old friends are leaving CLE now..
Though my Grandfather told me just 5 months ago, he wants to live and die in Ohio, he loves his Browns more than anything, even when they go 5-11 he sits and watches the games over and over ad goes over what they did wrong. I can Cleveland is home to some serious sports fans. Grampa has been a Browns fan since the 60s/70s.

Annnd thats all for my emotional recap of my dreaded years in Cleveland.
THIS is why, as an ex-Clevelander, I hated this city. (years 2006-2011(dont remember my childhood years really, I spent my meaningful ones here in Atlanta )
I used to always ask my family... "Why not Columbus?"
And of course, as Clevelanders their reply "too expensive".

And please no one argue with me, these were some of the worst years of my life, you can argue me to we're blue in the face, and even tell me about things I shouldve done differently, but its been done now, and I lived through it, and hated it. As a teen who lived with his Uncle it wasnt much I could do about my situation, and I know, those years were my failure years, how crappy my years went in Cleveland still haunt me today. I really was a typical Negro in Cleveland, but it was because of my upbringing, and the funny thing is my Mom is stil trying to dig us out of a hole, I still feel like a product of Cleveland right now, thats for sure, not having a job or a place, not a dolalr to my name and lonely... but atleast I can say I actually have love for the city Im in now. And if I didnt experience those terrible years in Cleveland, I wouldnt have the poise and determination to better myself today.

First of all, I'm very sorry that you and your family experienced those attacks, violence and racism. Nobody deserves to go through that. May Day was wrong too, but it wasn't just a Cleveland thing; May Day was happening all over the country. But, in some ways you're generalizing a whole group of people based on a the few people you came across in your life. That's wrong. I'm black, and I graduated from Cleveland Public Schools. Out of three out of my four years in high school, I was on the Honor Roll or Merit Roll, I also almost finished in the Top 20 of my class. I'm currently working for the Cleveland Public Library as a branch clerk serving my community. Not all black people live in Cleveland are all thugs and down other black people as trying to be white or dog people because they don't listen to Gucci Mane or Lil' Wayne because I don't really listen to them either. Also, "coons" is a very offensive term to say about anybody. There are stupid, dumb and ignorant people in any and every city across the country even Atlanta, there are people who look at shows like "Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta" and "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and think everybody in ATL at like those people on TV, although not everybody in Atlanta is like that. Cleveland does have a racial history that seriously needs to be addressed, but so does Atlanta and many other major cities across the country, Chicago was called "The Most Segregated Big City In America" by its own newspaper The Chicago Tribune.

It sounds like to me you have the inferiority complex that I've been talking about on this post. You have to learn to value yourself and validate yourself because nobody can do that for you. And, you have know that nobody is better than you and you're no better than anybody. If people laugh at you or make fun of you if you say you're from Cleveland so be it. You know who you are, what you are and what made you the person that you are now. It seems to you accept people's remarks about the city as truth, I bet most of the people who said those remarks never have been to Cleveland. You wouldn't just accept anybody calling you "stupid" would you? No. Because every city in this country has it's problems; there is no such thing as a perfect city. All cities have the flaws, bumps and blemishes just like the people who populate them. It sounds like your people didn't leave the city because it's home to them because they would've left a long time ago. They're aware of all the negativity that's going on but they seem to pay attention more to the positive. As long as you know what you're worth, nothing else matters.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:32 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Default Highest murder rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Ah, but don't some Clevelanders on this board do exactly that when they start yapping about Chicago's murder rate?

All I do in response is point out that when you do the math properly, Cleveland's murder rate turns out to be just as bad -- indeed, somewhat worse.

I will continue to correct misinformation when I come across it. If that puts people's noses out of joint, well, I don't know what to say.

Thank you for sharing.
Apparently, neither Chicago nor Cleveland make the listing of the 30 cities with the highest murder rates in 2014:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

However, Cleveland is number 16 on the list of the most dangerous cities.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Note that Cleveland is a relatively small city, with a population of under 400,000, with a couple particularly dangerous districts, particularly the 2nd and the 4th police districts.

Cleveland homicides up in 2014, other crimes down (infographic) | cleveland.com

Chicago's population is over twice that of Cuyahoga County, which includes Cleveland. Less than a third of Cuyahoga County's population is represented by Cleveland. If you took Cuyahoga County's statistics and doubled them, they probably would be much lower than those for Chicago, and this method probably would better reflect the varied social and economic factors within the two metropolitan areas.

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2015 at 04:22 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
First of all, I'm very sorry that you and your family experienced those attacks, violence and racism. Nobody deserves to go through that. May Day was wrong too, but it wasn't just a Cleveland thing; May Day was happening all over the country. But, in some ways you're generalizing a whole group of people based on a the few people you came across in your life. That's wrong. I'm black, and I graduated from Cleveland Public Schools. Out of three out of my four years in high school, I was on the Honor Roll or Merit Roll, I also almost finished in the Top 20 of my class. I'm currently working for the Cleveland Public Library as a branch clerk serving my community. Not all black people live in Cleveland are all thugs and down other black people as trying to be white or dog people because they don't listen to Gucci Mane or Lil' Wayne because I don't really listen to them either. Also, "coons" is a very offensive term to say about anybody. There are stupid, dumb and ignorant people in any and every city across the country even Atlanta, there are people who look at shows like "Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta" and "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and think everybody in ATL at like those people on TV, although not everybody in Atlanta is like that. Cleveland does have a racial history that seriously needs to be addressed, but so does Atlanta and many other major cities across the country, Chicago was called "The Most Segregated Big City In America" by its own newspaper The Chicago Tribune.

It sounds like to me you have the inferiority complex that I've been talking about on this post. You have to learn to value yourself and validate yourself because nobody can do that for you. And, you have know that nobody is better than you and you're no better than anybody. If people laugh at you or make fun of you if you say you're from Cleveland so be it. You know who you are, what you are and what made you the person that you are now. It seems to you accept people's remarks about the city as truth, I bet most of the people who said those remarks never have been to Cleveland. You wouldn't just accept anybody calling you "stupid" would you? No. Because every city in this country has it's problems; there is no such thing as a perfect city. All cities have the flaws, bumps and blemishes just like the people who populate them. It sounds like your people didn't leave the city because it's home to them because they would've left a long time ago. They're aware of all the negativity that's going on but they seem to pay attention more to the positive. As long as you know what you're worth, nothing else matters.
To Cleveland Mitchell: Yeah it really does! My S/O doesn't even like meat, yet said Czuchraj Spicy BBQ Jerky was best tasting thing she had ever had. What type of food do you specifically enjoy? We could give you some more recommendations! Also HIGHLY recommend getting some Indians tickets now. No better way to experience the outdoors and enjoy the city and it's way more affordable than the Cavs tickets probably are, although at Flash Seats there are even some good deals for those games! That's great that your enjoying all that our city has to offer! It'll only get better once the wind chill is above 0. LOL.

Also, this above post was absolutely fantastic. Cleveland certainly has it's share of problems, but the way you summed that up was perfect. Glad your enjoying the city and everything about it. One of the things I sort of prided myself on growing up was the community where I lived, while it was mostly caucasian, was one of the more accepting compare to all the movies and TV I saw that showed racism on display in other places around the country. Several of my close friends are African American, and I felt that while I never asked, it seemed that they felt welcome and everyone was very friendly.

I was on the east side, so perhaps it is different at other places in town, but where I came from, even a remote display of racism would have been met with sharp rebuke and would not have been tolerated.

I tend to think that while there are problems everywhere, Cleveland included, there are a lot of really good and genuine people in this city, and everywhere.

Also QCongress, I agree with your post about how crime is bad everywhere, regardless of how frequently or not frequently it occurs.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 PM

yeah QCongress83216 did say perfectly every city has its problems but me being from Phoenix AZ where it has extreme outright racism While I have been in Cleveland ohio only a month I haven't experienced any racism I have been made feel out of place outside the city I went with this girl I met who was white to Parma Ohio and people were staring at me like I was Alien or something but every city has some sort of racism problem but clevelander1991 I AM HUGE SANDWICH GUY I LOVE SANDWICHES

Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 AM

Wow, that is really disappointing for me to hear. I guess I just never thought that could happen still in 2015. I guess we just have to keep seeking understanding in everything, and just trying to educate people in order to keep that stuff from happening in the future.

Alright, well Cleveland is definitely a sandwich city! So I'll give you some picks.

So Cleveland's most famous sandwich/what they're known for is called corned beef. It's sort of like reuben/pastrami if you haven't had one. There's all sorts of opinions on which corned beef is best in the city, my favorite is Slyman's on East 31st/St. Clair, but many people also like Danny's Deli.

There's also a place called Melt Bar and Grilled, their specialty is quite literally, grilled cheese. And they'll make huge sandwiches with literally anything on them, peanut butter, parmigiana, pierogis, etc., it sounds really weird but it's really awesome. If you're downtown probably the closest one to you is in Downtown Lakewood. That place has a really fun atmosphere.

On West 6th there's a place called Panini's, which has overstuffed Italian sandwiches with french fries, coleslaw, salami, sauce, cheese, etc.

At the Horseshoe Casino is Michael Symon (our celebrity Iron Chef's) burger spot. It's a bit pricey, but it's worth it because he puts pulled pork, etc on the burgers and they've been voted best in America. Also, he's opening a BBQ spot that I've been waiting WAY too long to try, I think it'll be open soon.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:17 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland mitchell View Post
yeah QCongress83216 did say perfectly every city has its problems but me being from Phoenix AZ where it has extreme outright racism While I have been in Cleveland ohio only a month I haven't experienced any racism I have been made feel out of place outside the city I went with this girl I met who was white to Parma Ohio and people were staring at me like I was Alien or something but every city has some sort of racism problem but clevelander1991 I AM HUGE SANDWICH GUY I LOVE SANDWICHES
A gyro at Steve's Gyro in the West Side Market may be the most acclaimed Cleveland sandwich.

A fried bologna sandwich for lunch at Lola also is a personal favorite. Michael Symon makes his own bologna.

https://theravenousprincess.wordpres...ola-cleveland/

http://parade.com/254803/adamsachs/g...some-football/

A Symon fried bologna sandwich likely also is available at the B-Spot in the Horseshoe Casino.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
A gyro at Steve's Gyro in the West Side Market may be the most acclaimed Cleveland sandwich.

A fried bologna sandwich for lunch at Lola also is a personal favorite. Michael Symon makes his own bologna.

https://theravenousprincess.wordpres...ola-cleveland/

Game On! Chefs Michael Symon and Mario Batali Are Ready for Some Football

A Symon fried bologna sandwich likely also is available at the B-Spot in the Horseshoe Casino.
Completely forgot about that! Yeah, got to have a gyro from Steve's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland