Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,527,613 times

Advertisements

If Brunswick = Brunstucky then
Columbia Station = Nantucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,936,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Quite a few "hillbilly" types that I knew growing up on Cleveland's West Side ended up in places like Brunswick, North Ridgeville, Sheffield Lake, and even Mentor when they decided it was time to move to the suburbs. Their top priority was to have a suburban house and environment without paying Cuyahoga County prices/taxes.

They had quite different priorities than the yuppie/soccer mom types who bought in Strongsville, Westlake, and so forth. An entirely different mentality going on.

You want to talk about "hillbilly types!" Here is a good one for you. I apologize in advance if this is a bit long winded BTW. When I was in high school I went to the vocational school in Medina my junior and senior years. Brunswick by far had the most students attending as they were the largest school district and largest city in Medina County, followed by Medina. There were a total of 6 schools that represented the vocational school..... Brunswick, Medina, Highland, Buckeye, Cloverleaf, and Black River. The funny thing about us Brunswick folks being referenced as a bunch of hicks by the rest of our fellow suburbanites in the Cleveland area, is that at the vocational school it was quite the opposite. Us Brunswick folks were the "city folks," the trouble makers....ect... At any rate, picture this. I'm walking out of class, and look out into the student parking lot and I see a huge farm tractor in the student lot! I pointed it out to my buddy who was from Cloverleaf, and he said "yeah kids at the smaller schools out in the country did tend to drive their tractors to school!" It definitely wasn't something you'd see everyday in Brunswick, or anywhere else in suburbia. And those boys from the smaller schools in rural areas sure looked the part of farm boys. Boots, tight Wrangler jeans, John Deer hats, chewin' tobacco. Not so much with my friends or anyone I went to school with. Most of us were your typical suburban white kids, a mix of jocks, nerds, preps, stoners, skaters...ect...

When I went to Tri-C for a bit after high school, is when I got the Brunstucky reference, and being out in the sticks, yada yada! My wife grew up in Parma, and that was always her impression of Brunswick, being far away and in the "sticks." When she talks about growing up in Parma, and some of the stuff they did, and how they walked everywhere or whatever other stories we compare about growing up I always joke with her and say "well we do things differently in the southern part of the viewing area! For those of you not from northeast Ohio "the southern part of the viewing area" is the reference generally used by the local meteorologists during their forecasts.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:47 AM

246 posts, read 473,534 times
Quote:
Quite a few "hillbilly" types that I knew growing up on Cleveland's West Side ended up in places like Brunswick, North Ridgeville, Sheffield Lake, and even Mentor when they decided it was time to move to the suburbs. Their top priority was to have a suburban house and environment without paying Cuyahoga County prices/taxes.

They had quite different priorities than the yuppie/soccer mom types who bought in Strongsville, Westlake, and so forth. An entirely different mentality going on.
I've had similar experiences and I definitely going to be stereotyping here. These are also the types that take great offense to the label of Brunstucky but won't bat an eye at talking about how a city they grew up near, like Lakewood or Parma, is "'hood" and they would never send their kids to school there because they'd end up drug addicts or strippers, as if parenting has nothing to do with how kids turn out. These folks want to feel like they belong with the Jones' in the new development Cuyahoga County suburbs and that a change of scenery will erase their heritage as blue collar middle class west-side-of-Clevelanders. It's seems like the have this yearning to be better than other people

Brunswick is like Avon to me, just a decade or so earlier and not as well planned. Luckily for Brunswick they had some extra space and were able to further grow in the late 90's - early 2000s. Like Avon, the highway exit used to be a stop sign with virtually no traffic. Now both are congested, traffic snarls as all the treeless cul-de-sac sub division dwellers have to use the same main road to get to their one entrance development.

As you can tell, I biased, but for those making the trip downtown, the lost hour of each day for travel coupled with the additional wear and tear and accelerated depreciation expenses of 6,000-9,000 extra miles on the vehicle, and it's corresponding fuel cost of an added $1,200-$1,400 per car isn't worth the $1,500-$2,000 is lower taxes. I'd rather have a little less house/yard and an additional hour each day with my family. I worked with a guy who lived in Medina. He made good money but he worked 7 am to 6 pm M-F in North Olmsted. His commute was 45 mins each way. No way he spent more than maybe an hour with his children on week days. That's no way to live in my mind.

Last edited by ECBeastor; 02-26-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 AM

1,777 posts, read 2,193,886 times
Quote:

I agree with much of this post, yet I also think now though that mentality has changed, somewhat at least. Housing areas in Brunswick and N Ridgeville are starting to resemble Westlake and Strongsville, and the nonsensical Brunstucky commercial buildup on Rt. 303 is starting to resemble the poorly-planned madness on Strongsville's Rt. 82, complete with Cleveland Clinic satellite hospitals (although I miss those terrific doctors now that we've moved away). But there's still a lot of Brunswick (and also North Ridgeville) that's fairly redneck with broken down stuff in driveways. Brunswick, unlike, say, Medina, deserves the Brunstucky nickname still, regardless of the commercial (and some residential) buildup. Brunswick still has a lot of poor planning and a giant in-bred high school (no offense intended, kinda sorta) and a bunch of trashy ramshackle businesses on Rt. 42. The buildup in Strongsville was/is a giant unholy unzoned cash grab as well, but in Strongsville it's just not as rinky-dink as Brunstucky.

Last edited by kpl1228; 02-26-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 02:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,527,613 times
Strongsville is much better than Brunswick, and many other Cleveland suburbs as well. Former guppies that previously frequented other malls now trying to swim with the big fish at Southpark. Seriously though, the mall exit off 71 gets backed up for a half mile. Never was like that from 04-07 when I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland