Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:48 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
He went for the interview today and will know within the week. Seemingly the office will be in an old elevator factory, and the people interviewing him said there were local apartment buildings that had apartments for $300-$400 a month ; does that sound right?
I wonder if it's this building:

Rustbelt Reclamation creates new furniture from old Cleveland buildings | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:40 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
I don't think so as it is an office job. I will get the exact address today

Old 03-18-2015, 06:46 AM

246 posts, read 475,957 times
If it's an old Elevator Company it's probably the the W.S. Tyler building between St. Clair and Superior on E. 36th. It's owned by Greystone Properties now and is called Tyler Village. This is the same building referenced in the post above by tgbwc in the Rustbelt Reclamation link. It's a huge complex that houses dozens of different companies.

Looks like it would be an awesome building to work in; great amenities on site (cafe, food trucks, dry cleaning, free parking, fitness center, green space) and without the hassle of being directly in downtown but still right down the road. Right in the heart of Cleveland's Asiatown so the best Asian/Chinese food right down the street, the best corned beef in Cleveland (Slyman's)...right down the street. Easy freeway access right around the corner...like I said, sounds like a great place to work, if it's where he's working.

Last edited by ECBeastor; 03-18-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 05:16 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
I just looked at it and yes, their name is on the list.

How about apartments to live nearby

Old 03-19-2015, 07:36 AM

246 posts, read 475,957 times
Quote:

There is plenty down there, especially west close to Cleveland State Univ. or Downtown. It depends what the price point is. I see small studios/lofts on E. 4th (Downtown) on apartments.com for around $575/month[/url] showing as "available soon". That's a great spot to live. I'm sure parking is an extra $100+ fee though. The Chesterfield on E. 12th also has Studios for $475 supposedly.

Most of the places by CSU seem to be around $450-$550/month for a very tiny 1 BR or Studios that aren't near as nice as the two downtown places I linked above. IMO, there are much better sized apartments about 15 mins drive west in Lakewood for the same price.

There aren't many apartments immediately close to the Tyler Village that I'm aware of. East of it is mostly single family homes or duplexes. Here is a listing for the upstairs unit of a double on E. 33rd and Payne for $400. They might be cheap but utilities probably won't be included. Also, the security of these homes could be suspect I would think. It's an area he'll have to visit and see if he's comfortable living at. The area isn't terrible but it's still very blue collar/lower middle class. The houses will be 100 years old and probably minimally maintained.

If the person he was interviewing with said something about cheap places near by, I'd have him get more details about that because I don't see anything listed on regular rental sites. That isn't particularly surprising though. A lot of small, cheap places just put a sign in the window.

Last edited by ECBeastor; 03-19-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:

If you want low rents, look in North Collinwood or Euclid, in both cases north of route 2/I-90, although there are even lower rents in Euclid around Euclid Ave.

The areas south of I-90 and route 2 are more diverse and perhaps more dangerous, even though I don't know how dangerous Euclid is in actuality, even though it is more diverse, especially south of I-90.

A little further east along Euclid Ave. in Wickliffe, there also are many rental properties in an area that is less diverse than in Euclid. Ditto along Vine St. north of route 2/I-90 in an area that also has a substantial retail presence.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 AM

133 posts, read 175,837 times
I wouldn't recommend anyone who is not familiar with the area to rent in N.Collinwood or Euclid.

His best bet is to find something close to downtown or the apartments near where he'll be working.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
I wouldn't recommend anyone who is not familiar with the area to rent in N.Collinwood or Euclid.

His best bet is to find something close to downtown or the apartments near where he'll be working.
Your reservations about Euclid and N. Collinwood would apply even more significantly to the area where the job is located.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:27 AM

133 posts, read 175,837 times
Not really. Look at map.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
Not really. Look at map.
West of 36th St. starts becoming problematic. CSU dorms likely aren't open to non-students. Apartments closer to downtown likely have relatively high rents/parking fees. The OP's husband will have a car so needs to consider parking charges, if any.

I suspect that N. Collinwood and Euclid, especially along Lakeshore, offers the best value/safety ratio, but certainly every area should be researched.

Hopefully, if the OP's husband takes the job, she'll let us know where he finally found a place and how it worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland