Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:52 PM

60 posts, read 101,696 times

Advertisements

I been here awhile now and its pretty weird to me when I meet people out in the suburbs that have such a negative view on Cleveland and the Downtown area and some refuse to even go to Cleveland or Downtown all together and I ask them how long since the been downtown 2 years and 4 years I think that so crazy cause Cleveland is not very big and these suburb people choose to stay in the suburb and not leave because you perceive a place to be a certain way and also whats crazy to me is the East Side West Side thing some people refuse to go on the east side and some west side people refuse to on the east side its just pretty weird to me being in a smaller city and people so small minded they cant even go explore the city there from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 06:03 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,619,839 times
It really is kind of sad. I think the best way to change perceptions is to have people experience things first hand but unfortunately so many people are not willing to do so. There are definitely people in suburbs (myself included) who end up spending at least 50% of time downtown between work and going out to museums and bars and restaurants and sports and all the things that make our city awesome. If there's a reason why those people haven't left the suburbs and moved down there, it's probably the idea of having the best of the park systems a little closer, or because they have family in place in those areas. Also, the schools do still need to get a little better, but I think they finally are starting to make that turn. I watched a TED Talk by a lady named Meg Jay titled "30 is not the new 20". In it, she talked about the importance of building "identity capital", and also cited some statistic that I believe mentioned that people develop 90% or more of their world view/personality characteristics/work ethic in the first 30 years of their lives, and after that are less dynamic in their thought patterns. If you're yalking to older people, this could be why they are more resistant to changing their belief patterns.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 AM

I could see where that last statement, and in some ways the talk as a whole could be described as agist. I don't think that was intent, and I don't think anyone on here is small minded. I would like to think my brain is still geared for growth after I hit 30, but I think it was just addressing how critical early stages of life are in shaping ones worldview and other defining characteristics.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 AM

It is pretty sad that young people seem to think that also. I think a lot of times when they complain about a city being boring, it may say more about their lack of hobbies or about how boring they might be than it does about the actual city. I'm hopeful that you'll meet more open minded and interesting people that actually have real interests and passions and aspirations.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM

60 posts, read 101,696 times
I just think its weird to limit urself if u haven been downtown in 2-4 years u should check it out if u live on the west go check out some restaurants on the east side east side the same

Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,363,818 times
But hold on, this is not just Cleveland. This attitude is everywhere. When I lived in Chicago it was the same. When I lived in Portland it was the same. I had friends who lived in NYC who told me they knew suburbanites who had never been to Times Square or a museum in Manhattan. I have a sister who lives in a Toronto suburb. She and her family never go to the city except when I visit because I want to go there. I could go on with many more examples of which I personally know but you get the drift.

I wonder where the OP has lived before that he found it any different. Many people who choose the suburbs simply don't care for cities. That may be why they choose the suburbs. To each their own.

And, BTW, it has nothing whatsoever to do with age.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:06 PM

31 posts, read 31,751 times
Guys you have a visually appealing downtown. The building architecture looks great and the waterfront is near by. Rents are reasonable and the proximity to the Canadian border is not to distant. You have a fantastic playhouse square and a neat market. Also sports teams in 3 major sports. The only two deterrents that I could see have a cumulative impact on Cleveland are the weather and lingering crime in many areas. The crime can be reduced by awareness and effort. the weather... well you have to brace yourself for the conditions and dress accordingly.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:56 PM

11,048 posts, read 12,368,252 times
Minervah has it right on. Not just cleveland. Ran into a lot of old time Bostonians when I moved here that had fled to the suburbs decades ago, warning me about city neighborhoods that are absolutely fine. Clevelands problem is just that there aren't enough people living in the city that can counter the others, at least not yet. As the core neighborhoods continue to thrive, you'll see more fringe neighborhoods pick up too, then there will be more of a balance. Also, some people are just kinda lame, no matter where they live. Ignore them.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:40 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,349,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Minervah has it right on. Not just cleveland. Ran into a lot of old time Bostonians when I moved here that had fled to the suburbs decades ago, warning me about city neighborhoods that are absolutely fine. Clevelands problem is just that there aren't enough people living in the city that can counter the others, at least not yet. As the core neighborhoods continue to thrive, you'll see more fringe neighborhoods pick up too, then there will be more of a balance. Also, some people are just kinda lame, no matter where they live. Ignore them.
I think this whole thread is a little ridiculous. Most persons on the east side, even in Lake County, greatly enjoy downtown and University Circle attractions. This is certainly true of west side communities from Lakewood and Rocky River to Bay Village and beyond.

It appears the problem was some persons encountered by the OP in Parma. Not surprised, but this thread doesn't reflect the millions of persons who visit the downtown sports venues, Ohio City's Market District, and University Circle every year. PlayhouseSquare alone draws about a million theater-goers annually. Most of the these millions are from suburbs.

Personally, I don't know a single person who is dismissive of downtown or University Circle, and I can't remember the last time I heard dismissive comments of downtown or University Circle.

Persons don't go to the east side or west side because there is little to draw them there compared to Cleveland attractions, Cedar Point, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio Amish Country, Mohican Region, etc. Heck, I don't have time to adequately explore all of the attractions within 20 minutes of Lake County, which I call home. I'm certain that's true of persons on the west side as well. E.g., I've never been to the Great Geauga County Fair (a miniature version of the Ohio State Fair, which also is extremely well worth a trip to Columbus), one of the great events in northeast Ohio. I have been to the Lorain County Fair, which also was great fun. Go figure!

The east side/west side divide sadly is more ethnic and even racial than geographical IMO, and even in this regard exaggerated or limited to certain demographic groups.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-25-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 03:48 PM

19 posts, read 22,487 times
People tell me to not live downtown cleve and they have never been there

It just has that rep like Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland