Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 PM

64 posts, read 81,431 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/search?q=View...28%3B648%3B432

View from the new control tower at CLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:55 PM

7 posts, read 5,523 times
Best views of Cleveland in my opinion...

1. Garfield Monument in Lakeview Cemetery
The city's most gorgeous view, it allows you to see all of Cleveland's buildings with a good sense of depth and height of the skyline. As soon as you walk out from the stairwell, you'll feel it. You can also see UC and the lake.

2. Edgewater Park
Total classic Cleveland view. Gives you a perfect sight-line of Cleveland's tallest buildings in a descending fashion.

3. Rt 2 Shoreway/Bridge
When I have visitors, I always make sure to take the "long way" home in order to drive the Shoreway through Downtown for them to gaze upon. When you're on the bridge riding over the river/flats, Cleveland really shows you how big and "cool" it can be.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev618 View Post

3. Rt 2 Shoreway/Bridge
When I have visitors, I always make sure to take the "long way" home in order to drive the Shoreway through Downtown for them to gaze upon. When you're on the bridge riding over the river/flats, Cleveland really shows you how big and "cool" it can be.
THIS. The two times I have had friends/family in the city, I took them from the airport to either Angelo's or Melt (or Pier W, their choice), and then along the Edgewater mansions, up to the shoreway, then past the West 6th Corridor to the Indians game. I have to say both times they came away VERY SURPRISED AND IMPRESSED. It eliminated a lot of misconceptions about the city in a hurry.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:15 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
I agree with many of the views in this thread but here's one of my favorites, particularly when out-of-towners think Cleveland is flat: Heading west on I-480 at the crest of the hill near Transportation Blvd., looking out over the Valley. You can see downtown to the right, the Rockside Road edgecity, and the vast expanse of trees to the South. A very pleasant view when the trees are in full green.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:15 PM

12 posts, read 11,529 times
[quote=clevelander1991;39011806]I too would be interested in checking out the Forest Hill spot. What specific part of the park is it good from=QUOTE]

I will try to get around to posting some Forest Hill Park pics over the next few days here, as another poster was asking about (though, quite honestly, even with what I consider to be a pretty decent camera on my phone, the shots from that viewpoint haven't quite captured the scene to my satisfaction).

Anyhow, the best view is from the top of the sledding hill, which is on on the strip of land, bounded by Superior, Terrace, and Forest Hills Blvd.

You can also expect to be hearing quite a bit more from me, in the near future, about a lot of ideas that I have for revitalizing Forest Hill Park, a few of which are now coming to fruition. Most people don't know much (if anything) about what is in there, but it is absolutely one of the most incredible spots that I have ever stumbled upon ANYWHERE, now that I have thoroughly explored and come to fully appreciate it's significance.

In brief, the richest person in the history of the US (John D. Rockefeller) left Cleveland for NYC in the 1880's, for business reasons, but, of all places that his fortune would have given him access to, still faithfully returned to his beloved Forest Hill every single summer, for over three decades (and later, decided to be buried, out of all places he could have chosen, right across the street from Forest Hill). Later, it was designed as a great public park, to be Cleveland's version of Central Park. Today, it needs a lot of lovin', but there is nothing inevitable, or irreversible, about its present condition.

The future is unwritten...

Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 AM

I've heard it is a beautiful place, and you are right that if he of all places chose that to reside, then it had to be somewhere special. My only concern in visiting there would be safety, if I'm being honest. I definitely can air on the cautious side at times to be sure. Though I did spend the last week wandering all around New Orleans and using public transport even once after dark (and staying north of St Charles! In Uptown) so on border territory. So I suppose if I can do all that , perhaps if I go with a group of people during the day I can give Forest Hill a try also.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 AM

19 posts, read 22,563 times
New Orleans is much more dangerous than Cleve

Its not even close

Old 03-31-2015, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 5,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I agree with many of the views in this thread but here's one of my favorites, particularly when out-of-towners think Cleveland is flat: Heading west on I-480 at the crest of the hill near Transportation Blvd., looking out over the Valley. You can see downtown to the right, the Rockside Road edgecity, and the vast expanse of trees to the South. A very pleasant view when the trees are in full green.

Make sure to point out while going over the Valley View Bridge- "and on the left, there's an empty shopping plaza built on a mountain of garbage, slowly sliding down into the valley!"

Old 03-31-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest450 View Post
New Orleans is much more dangerous than Cleve

Its not even close
As a general rule, yes. However NOLA does have some pretty nice spots worth checking out. How would you all feel comfort/safety wise in Forest Hill as compared to say Edgewater Park or Lakeview Cemetery (I don't feel remotely unsafe at those or RR reservation)

Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 PM

12 posts, read 11,529 times
2/3 of Forest Hill Park is in East Cleveland city limits; however, please don't let that scare you away. One of the guys very involved with the East Cleveland Parks Association, over many years now, emphasizes that he believes it is safe there. Like anywhere else in a city-area, always pay attention to your surroundings, and don't go anywhere that doesn't feel comfortable to you.

The main concern would be in the more isolated areas, where you need to pay special attention to safety. Beyond that, the lake area (along Lee Blvd.) is a very nice place, and there have been a number of walkers, runners, etc. there over the past few spring-like days. The Great Meadow (at the end of which is the former Rockefeller home site, and look-out point) is usually populated by a steady stream of dog-walkers during the day, especially when it is nice out. People go there for baseball/softball games, and so on, in the warmer months, as well.

I am also happy to lead informal tours, if anyone wishes to PM me. One last thing is some information (pasted below) about an event that will be taking place there next week, and includes a hike to the view of the downtown Cleveland skyline and Lake Erie. Please feel free to join for the Inaugural Forest Hill Kombucha Convergence!!

~~~~~~~
The Inaugural Forest Hill Kombucha Convergence (featuring Fermentation on Wheels) | Forest Hills Park | Food/Drink | Cleveland Scene

The Inaugural Forest Hill Kombucha Convergence (featuring Fermentation on Wheels)
When: Mon., April 6, 5:30-8:30 p.m.

Kombucha-lovers unite, at the first-ever Forest Hill Kombucha Convergence, to share kombucha and community. We will begin to host a series of gatherings at Forest Hill Park, formerly the summer estate of the John D. Rockefeller, and later designed as a great urban park in the tradition of New York's Central Park. FHKC#1 will also include a fermented food themed potluck with nation-wide traveling school bus-converted-fermentation lab, Fermentation on Wheels. Bring some of your own fermented foods and beverages, as well as homemade dishes. (Park at the Corner of Forest Hills Blvd and Lee Blvd; gather at the lake.)
Forest Hills Park
Lee Road and Forest Hills Boulevard, Euclid Eastern Suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland