Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah those are all nice pictures indeed.
No, those are all nice places not just pictures. So stop emphasizing the negatives and start embracing the positives of this city. I think people have heard enough of your criticisms. We get it, Cleveland isn't perfect enough for you but you might consider it imperfections and all. Just make the move or don't.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:29 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Minervah, as usual, is on point. This thread sounds like conversations I have with friends about their dating life, talking about all these trivial imperfections of a person and then boom, chance missed, they're gone. People should definitely think things through, but you don't need to microanalyze nature reserves before you move. Maybe just stay put, cause you'll never make a decision if you get hng up this easily.

The place you move to is also not nearly as important as the person who is moving.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:47 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No, those are all nice places not just pictures. So stop emphasizing the negatives and start embracing the positives of this city. I think people have heard enough of your criticisms. We get it, Cleveland isn't perfect enough for you but you might consider it imperfections and all. Just make the move or don't.
epic; awesome

Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
As I said, I'm still thinking about it. My after thoughts, overall, are positive. I can actually picture myself living there. And I see new jobs (for me) being posted there throughout the week, every week, which is good.

Do you think an Ohio employer would care or be open minded to hiring someone from Connecticut? I have a feeling they would place priority on a CLE native over a transplant like myself.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:48 PM

The forecast says tonight it will snow in CLE between 11pm and 1am. Omg. Seriously?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:

Do you think an Ohio employer would care or be open minded to hiring someone from Connecticut? I have a feeling they would place priority on a CLE native over a transplant like myself.
Quote:
The forecast says tonight it will snow in CLE between 11pm and 1am. Omg. Seriously?
Yes. No one who ever moves here from out of town gets hired. You have to show your birth certificate to prove you are a Cleveland native. And April is the heaviest month for snow here.

I give up. Defeated. I am done.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 PM

220 posts, read 321,692 times
Quote:
As I said, I'm still thinking about it. My after thoughts, overall, are positive. I can actually picture myself living there. And I see new jobs (for me) being posted there throughout the week, every week, which is good.

Absolute nonsense!! Clevelanders take care of their own, but I feel they would welcome newcomers. If your qualified, be confident.

An btw, yes it has snowed in April before . This isn't unheard of, but I doubt any of it will stay for long. Right now we're in this weird transition period where the weather can't make up its mind and you'll find some people wearing coats and scarfs while others are in shorts.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 PM

207 posts, read 338,767 times
Frankly, you (nep321) are being pedantic. It seems like you want to find a place that is Connecticut in every-way, except in the ways you don't like - your utopia. Unfortunately, utopias don't exist.

These threads are laughable. Everyone on here, keeps responding without regard for how preposterous the posted statement is. Are employers "open minded" regarding hiring someone from Connecticut? Your posts come of as disdainful and arrogant. Perhaps, staying in Connecticut is best. There are misconceptions about Cleveland, unfortunately. These need to change (I'm reminded of an old articles I saw in the New York Times on the appointment of a music director at the Orchestra. The writer was musing over how a sophisticated, European conductor would fare in this backward area. The answer, just fine). While it is hard to compare a place that you visited for a few days, seeing only a few places, with a place you lived throughout your life. This type of comparison lends itself to superficial judgments. While it grows on people, it isn't perfect for everyone. You either need to come here, experience the good and bad, see other areas (Amish country, Hudson, among others mentioned), or just forget it.

P.S. I was in Sharon last weekend and I was talking with someone who is contemplating a move to Ohio as well. He has mixed feelings but likes the career opportunities.

Last edited by jprice15; 04-03-2015 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice15 View Post
Frankly, you (nep321) are being pedantic. It seems like you want to find a place that is Connecticut in every-way, except in the ways you don't like - your utopia. Unfortunately, utopias don't exist.

These threads are laughable. Everyone on here, keeps responding without regard for how preposterous the posted statement is. Are employers "open minded" regarding hiring someone from Connecticut? Your posts come of as disdainful and arrogant. Perhaps, staying in Connecticut is best. There are misconceptions about Cleveland, unfortunately. These need to change (I'm reminded of an old articles I saw in the New York Times on the appointment of a music director at the Orchestra. The writer was musing over how a sophisticated, European conductor would fare in this backward area. The answer, just fine). While it is hard to compare a place that you visited for a few days, seeing only a few places, with a place you lived throughout your life. This type of comparison lends itself to superficial judgments. While it grows on people, it isn't perfect for everyone. You either need to come here, experience the good and bad, see other areas (Amish country, Hudson, among others mentioned), or just forget it.

P.S. I was in Sharon last weekend and I was talking with someone who is contemplating a move to Ohio as well. He has mixed feelings but likes the career opportunities.
I hope I am not misleading people on here. I am still very interested in CLE. I'm just panicking now because my current lease ends next month, so I have to basically make a decision as soon as possible. We're not allowed to take time off from work during April, because it's quarter close for us accountants and we're extra busy all month long. Nonetheless, I feel that my 4-day visit to CLE last week was sufficient to make a decision. And my after thoughts are mostly favorable.

I just don't want to end up in a situation like Minervah, who left for Portland a few decades ago, only to return back to her native area (CLE) just recently. Now she's retired and essentially wasted the past 30 years or whatever in Portland, when her final destination ended up being CLE.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:07 AM

220 posts, read 321,692 times
So what if you eventually move back to CT, whether its 5, 10, 20 years from now. How can you say that your time will be wasted if you move back, you would still gain new friends, experiences and memories. BTW not sure how you concluded that Minervah wasted 30 years of her life in Portland I'll let her address that one.

Overall I'm just not understanding this logic, if you have a job opportunity here and you like the area then make the move. Your like that person that keeps sitting on the edge of the pool dipping their toe in the water saying its too cold. You need to just jump in and start moving around, then you'll warm up. Or you could save yourself the trouble and walk away, your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland