Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:24 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
It's hard to say. I tend to think that as a whole the state may lean to the right fiscally and to the left socially , but that was just the impression I got based on where I lived (characteristic of Lake County)
Actually, I think that the current fiscal characterization of Ohio is "pay-to-play, mortgage-the-future" budgeting, not much different than we've seen on the national level for decades, going back to the 1960s IMO.

Thankfully, Ohio has been much more fiscally responsible regarding pension plans than most states, especially the likes of IL and NJ, but some of Mandel's policies have certainly penalized those plans in favor of "pay-to-play" politics.

I also don't see how it's perceived that Ohio leans to the left socially, given the opposition to the Affordable Care Act, extremely pollution-friendly legislators, the budget cuts for public schools, underfunding of state parks, opposition to abortion and gay rights, etc. What do you perceive as the leftist lean in Ohio state politics? I'm drawing a blank, except maybe voter rejection of the Republican effort to limit bargaining by public employees.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,788 times
FMLA is federal law so it applies in OH. I took FMLA myself in 2014. As for it being progressive, I have lived in NYC and abroad and will say there is a balance of both left wing and right wing people/politics in the Cleveland area. One does not seem dominant. For gay marriage, it's just a matter of time.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:47 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I also don't see how it's perceived that Ohio leans to the left socially, given the opposition to the Affordable Care Act, extremely pollution-friendly legislators, the budget cuts for public schools, underfunding of state parks, opposition to abortion and gay rights, etc. What do you perceive as the leftist lean in Ohio state politics? I'm drawing a blank, except maybe voter rejection of the Republican effort to limit bargaining by public employees.
As far as ACA, I would say that is more of a fiscal issue than a social one.

Regarding pollution friendly, yes and no. It could be better, but as you mentioned there really has been much more of a conservationist trend within the society and Northeast Ohio region, which is part of the reason we have such an excellent parks system. It strikes me that Clevelanders, almost regardless of class or location, love getting outdoors. I also think that Cleveland has much more of a locavore culture, particularly among the younger generations, than most regions of the country. I think about not only the West Side Market, but all the North Union Farmers Market, and all the restaurants around the area that are Non-GMO, which I would say compares rather favorably to other cities. Unfortunately, I don't think that healthy eating should be a political issue, but I think it sort of is, in regards to the fact that democrats are (or at least seem) more likely to eat those products. For the record, I'm specifically referencing Lake County/Cleveland on these social issues, I didn't mean to bring the entire state into the picture. I just know that any type of gay discrimination would be completely unacceptable among myself and those I immediately surround myself with up in Ohio (even those from Christian/ Other Religious backgrounds), and that there just seems to be a more favorable attitude towards certain things (eg legalizing marijuana) in the immediate area.

One of the things that really disappoints me and has me disillusioned from politics in general (though it's an unavoidable fact of life) is that is that the two parties really run a platform with strong stances on three unrelated issues (foreign policy, economics and social), and expect everyone from that side to accept every aspect of their campaign platform. It also really is despicable to me the labels which are placed on both sides, from both sides, when at the end of day, in all likelihood both ideologies have the mindset of helping the country see a brighter future, they just have different ways of going about doing so.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Well, I guess I had to return to correct a misunderstanding although it appears it was only one person who misunderstood. Why am I not surprised? I find there seems to be little that is getting across to him.

So here goes. I was born and raised in Chicago. For reasons of adventure and curiosity I moved to Portland, Oregon at the age of 32. I loved living in Portland for most of the time I was there. I wouldn't have traded the experience for the world. But Portland changed and my needs changed. Nothing stays the same. Time does not stand still.

I will not go into the all whys and wherefores but about five years ago I found myself in a position in which relocation from Portland became a necessity. Mainly It was due to the ever increasing COL and I wanted to retire without having to worry about using up all my retirement funds before I was used up. I decided that the Midwestern region was the least expensive and was one with which I was familiar. Add to the fact I had a few friends and relatives here made it more attractive.

Chicago was too big and too expensive. I did some research and Cleveland sounded just about right. It took me a few years of research. CD was a big help but ultimately traveling and exploring potential relocation spots helped me make my final decision. One thing I discovered having relocated before is that you really never know about a place until you actually live there. There are always going to be disappointments and pleasant surprises so you have to keep an open mind. But, and I will say this loudly, no matter how many questions you ask there will always be more and THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES!

Ultimately as I think someone here has said, it's not so much the place as the person that makes the move a success. If you turn and run at the first unexpected problem you encounter, you shouldn't move in the first place.

Had I known I would be returning to the Midwestern region in 30 odd years when I relocated to Portland? You bet I would. I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world. Because during those 30 odd years I made great friends and did some wonderful things. I lived a life, not a jail sentence. I have never considered relocating to Portland a mistake. Moving on to Cleveland is just another chapter in my life.

I do believe, however, that anyone who thinks along those lines is not ready to make such a big move.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:22 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecloud77 View Post
FMLA is federal law so it applies in OH. I took FMLA myself in 2014. As for it being progressive, I have lived in NYC and abroad and will say there is a balance of both left wing and right wing people/politics in the Cleveland area. One does not seem dominant. For gay marriage, it's just a matter of time.
Yes, but the newly proposed FMLA law for Connecticut will require ALL businesses - large or small - to let employees leave the job for at least 12 weeks and still get paid without fear of losing their jobs. It will be universal and funded by a 0.25% pre-tax payroll deduction.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:28 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One thing I discovered having relocated before is that you really never know about a place until you actually live there. There are always going to be disappointments and pleasant surprises so you have to keep an open mind.
Minervah, if you remember, and if you haven't already mentioned them, what were the negative and positive surprises after you moved to Cleveland?

You seem to have well researched your move, so these unexpected discoveries likely would benefit others.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:37 PM

So today I spent some time checking out cities and towns in New Haven County, CT. New Haven County is the only other place in CT that even has a remote chance of me getting a job there and relocating there (even though it's not that far from where I am now). Anyway, I decided to drive through the cities and towns that have housing affordable enough to fit my budget, to see what the ultimate reality would be. My conclusion? Those cities and towns really aren't any nicer than the nice ones that I saw in the CLE metro area.

I looked at places like New Haven, East Haven, West Haven, Hamden, Ansonia, Derby, Waterbury, Meriden, Naugatuck and Wolcott. None of them are really that impressive, to be honest. I saw just as much grit, old construction, gritty blue collar people and bad roads as I did in the CLE area. The only difference is that the price of houses is about double that of the CLE suburbs. And CLE is a better city overall than almost any city in CT. Besides, it's not like I'll be able to afford a coastal property anytime soon anyway.

In addition, today and yesterday, I was appalled at the traffic volume on I-95. Oh my lord. It's like you drive just fine for 10 minutes, then suddenly slam your breaks because of a sudden traffic jam that lasts for 5 minutes. Then another 10 minutes of smooth sailing, then another 5 minutes of stop and go. It's so annoying.

So, here we are today on April 4th in Connecticut, and it's freekin' cold, everything looks old, gritty (in the cities and towns I can afford anyway) and depressing. Except it costs twice as much. There's also virtually no one to date in the gay community anymore her at this point. It's morbidly depressing. There just aren't enough gays here in CT that are datable anymore.

CLE is starting to sound like a reality. And if I move there, I have a few friends already living there who would be glad to help me move my furniture.

This morning, I also talked with the leasing agent that I met with while I was in CLE. I looked at an apartment in North Olmsted. She said that I can do a 6-month lease for $882 per month. It's a nice complex with a pool, garage and everything. She said I don't need proof of income and that my savings are sufficient and everything can be applied for and approved via e-mail. I could have an apartment waiting for me on June 9th if I proceed. Then it's just a matter of finding employment.

Right now I'm paying $1,750 per month for a 600 sq ft apartment with noise pollution galore and noisy neighbors.

My after thoughts of CLE are increasingly positive.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Good to hear!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Minervah, if you remember, and if you haven't already mentioned them, what were the negative and positive surprises after you moved to Cleveland?

You seem to have well researched your move, so these unexpected discoveries likely would benefit others.
Well, one negative was no fault of Cleveland nor was it really a surprise. I trusted a friend of a friend to take me around to look at apartments and long story, it didn't work out. She refused to budge out of Cleveland Heights. I feel I never got to see all of the Cleveland area I would have liked to have seen to check out apartments. So I was relegated to doing my apartment hunting in Cleveland Heights where I wound up.

This was not a bad thing though because I like where I am, I just would like to see more neighborhoods and even possibly check out some Senior living communities.That would be great for social convenience. I have already found some really nice ones for low to moderate income residents. I plan to do some exploring a bit of various neighborhoods in general but I might just find I prefer to be right where I am. There are lots of options here which is something I did not have in Portland.

I am happy there are two bus routes close by that take me wherever I want to go but I would be happier if the bus system around my area ran more frequently. And the monthly bus pass is more expensive than I was used to paying.

I would love to see the downtown area have full shopping that included all kinds of stores like the malls have. I have in a few years with all the residential buildings going up it's going to happen though. I love shopping downtown.

Really though, I haven't found all that many disappointments that have to do with Cleveland itself that were of any great concern. Most positives are all the things that are available to do here. Every time I look at a list someone posts of activities it surprises me that Cleveland has so much outdoor and indoor stuff to do. I may never get around to doing it all but it's nice to know it's there.

A nice positive last summer was the weather wasn't as hot as I would afraid it would be because I am not a fan of hot weather. In fact it was waaaay hotter in Portland than Cleveland this year.

I think though that the positives and negatives might vary depending upon the individual so I don't know if my issues would be of help to anyone else but those are the ones that come to mind.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, one negative was no fault of Cleveland nor was it really a surprise. I trusted a friend of a friend to take me around to look at apartments and long story, it didn't work out. She refused to budge out of Cleveland Heights. I feel I never got to see all of the Cleveland area I would have liked to have seen to check out apartments. So I was relegated to doing my apartment hunting in Cleveland Heights where I wound up.

This was not a bad thing though because I like where I am, I just would like to see more neighborhoods and even possibly check out some Senior living communities.That would be great for social convenience. I have already found some really nice ones for low to moderate income residents. I plan to do some exploring a bit of various neighborhoods in general but I might just find I prefer to be right where I am. There are lots of options here which is something I did not have in Portland.

I am happy there are two bus routes close by that take me wherever I want to go but I would be happier if the bus system around my area ran more frequently. And the monthly bus pass is more expensive than I was used to paying.

I would love to see the downtown area have full shopping that included all kinds of stores like the malls have. I have in a few years with all the residential buildings going up it's going to happen though. I love shopping downtown.

Really though, I haven't found all that many disappointments that have to do with Cleveland itself that were of any great concern. Most positives are all the things that are available to do here. Every time I look at a list someone posts of activities it surprises me that Cleveland has so much outdoor and indoor stuff to do. I may never get around to doing it all but it's nice to know it's there.

A nice positive last summer was the weather wasn't as hot as I would afraid it would be because I am not a fan of hot weather. In fact it was waaaay hotter in Portland than Cleveland this year.

I think though that the positives and negatives might vary depending upon the individual so I don't know if my issues would be of help to anyone else but those are the ones that come to mind.
Last summer was cooler than normal, for the entire eastern U.S. Even here in CT, the typical daily high was around 80 degrees. But in a normal summer, there are many more days that are over 90 or even 100 degrees. Hopefully this summer in Cleveland will be HOT as HELL, because I like my summers HOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland