Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 AM

338 posts, read 556,195 times

Advertisements

Forumers, recommend a honda dealer for purchase of a new CR-V please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:44 PM

246 posts, read 472,893 times
IMO, if you are buying brand new, where you buy it from makes little difference, particularly for a stalwart import brand like Honda of Toyota that are usually high volume/low margin. Where you take it for service is what matters. And for service, dealerships are usually 3x as expensive as independent shops.

Most import brands are well spread out as to not have significant competition nearby, particularly for service. They make the bulk of their money in service and finance and insurance products. The stuff the Finance Manager tries to sell you when you're wrapping up the paper work. (Extended service packages they try to sell you, your bank loan that they qualify you for at the dealership). The bulk of the Honda stores around Cleveland probably have a Service Absorption Ratio of like 90%, meaning they cover 90% of their overhead expenses with just service sales. They basically don't have to sell a single new car to make money. A Honda dealer makes about 2% to 3% gross margin (profit/sales) on new vehicles, 8% to 10% on used cars and 40% to 50% on Service and Parts, 100% on F&I products (F&I is all gravy since they are selling the product for some other company - the bank, extended service company - and taking points off the top). Of the total gross dollars, 65% are service (eg if they have 5 million in gross profit, 65% of that is from service) even though about 15% of their total sales dollars are from service.

As for your question, I'd go to one of the high volume stores like Jay Honda in Bedford which sells over 50% more than any other dealer in Cuyahoga County and 30% more than any dealer in the surrounding counties (Summit, Lake, Portage, Lorain, Geauga, Medina, Stark). Simply because it is likely the best deal on price because it's the highest volume.

Last edited by ECBeastor; 04-30-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,287,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
Forumers, recommend a honda dealer for purchase of a new CR-V please.
Are you a Costco member? If so, perhaps check out their auto purchasing service.

Also, you might get a better price from a dealer in another market, such as Akron, or even Columbus and Toledo. You can call any dealer and ask for a quote by telephone.

I know a few persons who have discovered that dealers for some brands act as an oligopoly in their local markets, but will offer a great deal for someone from a market in which they don't compete. I know someone who saved $1500 over the best quote from a local dealer, by calling dealers in another market.

Make certain you know any manufacturer incentive programs currently in effect. Specifcially ask! Some dealers don't disclose them, especially non-advertised dealer incentives, in an effort to make a significantly higher sales margin. I don't know if you can find out by checking manufacturer websites such as for Honda. Again, a dealer in another market more likely will disclose these incentives and pass some of the savings along to you.

Please let us know your experience.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,352,660 times
Buy American

Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Are you a Costco member? If so, perhaps check out their auto purchasing service.

Also, you might get a better price from a dealer in another market, such as Akron, or even Columbus and Toledo. You can call any dealer and ask for a quote by telephone.

I know a few persons who have discovered that dealers for some brands act as an oligopoly in their local markets, but will offer a great deal for someone from a market in which they don't compete. I know someone who saved $1500 over the best quote from a local dealer, by calling dealers in another market.

Make certain you know any manufacturer incentive programs currently in effect. Specifcially ask! Some dealers don't disclose them, especially non-advertised dealer incentives, in an effort to make a significantly higher sales margin. I don't know if you can find out by checking manufacturer websites such as for Honda. Again, a dealer in another market more likely will disclose these incentives and pass some of the savings along to you.

Please let us know your experience.

!!!!! Thank you, WRnative, for the tips. I am not in a hurry to purchase, so I will report back in several days or a few weeks.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBeastor View Post
The bulk of the Honda stores around Cleveland probably have a Service Absorption Ratio of like 90%, meaning they cover 90% of their overhead expenses with just service sales. They basically don't have to sell a single new car to make money. A Honda dealer makes about 2% to 3% gross margin (profit/sales) on new vehicles, 8% to 10% on used cars and 40% to 50% on Service and Parts, 100% on F&I products (F&I is all gravy since they are selling the product for some other company - the bank, extended service company - and taking points off the top). Of the total gross dollars, 65% are service (eg if they have 5 million in gross profit, 65% of that is from service) even though about 15% of their total sales dollars are from service.

As for your question, I'd go to one of the high volume stores like Jay Honda in Bedford which sells over 50% more than any other dealer in Cuyahoga County and 30% more than any dealer in the surrounding counties (Summit, Lake, Portage, Lorain, Geauga, Medina, Stark). Simply because it is likely the best deal on price because it's the highest volume.
Thank you ECBeastor for the numbers. Excellent info. Jay Honda has very few vehicles in stock and I am looking for a specific color.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
Thank you ECBeastor for the numbers. Excellent info. Jay Honda has very few vehicles in stock and I am looking for a specific color.
Most dealers can get you any car you want, often in an exchange with dealers up to a hundred miles a way. Focus on price, not car specifics.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:02 AM

Called the General Manager of Motorcars Honda on Mayfield Road and left a message. Dude's name is Trevor. Wanted his recommendation on a salesperson. Apparently he does not return phone calls. Hmm.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,986,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
You can call any dealer and ask for a quote by telephone.
In 2015 going the internet route would be the more time and potentially cost effective way to go. And you can deal with the Internet Sales Manager (or whatever their sales title happens to be) and cut out a lot of the BS when dealing with the regular sales people.

I vote Mike Pruitt Honda. Tell them you want an autograph.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
In 2015 going the internet route would be the more time and potentially cost effective way to go. And you can deal with the Internet Sales Manager (or whatever their sales title happens to be) and cut out a lot of the BS when dealing with the regular sales people.

I vote Mike Pruitt Honda. Tell them you want an autograph.
Good point about the internet, but, as I said, I know some persons who had good luck with phone calls within the last two years. You likely get a sales rep with a different quota and perhaps even a different sales manager, and that perhaps makes a difference. Maybe they also think someone calling is more serious than an internet shopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland