Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:31 PM

60 posts, read 102,195 times

Advertisements

I think Harvey Pekar is one of the best author hes work was more then just comics but graphic. Novels he didnt get enough praise because his work wasnt about super heros but more about everyday life struggles like worries and anxieties that everybody goes through and being from Clevand Ohio really influcned his work more Clevelanders should read his work he gets little prasie but was the inspiration for one of the most popular shows in sitcom history Seinfeld one of the greatest shows ever and made a independent movie about called American Splendor same name as his Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:37 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Speaking as someone who has never lived in Cleveland, I really enjoy Pekar's work and I have to say that he was responsible for increasing my interest in the city itself. He was a working class hero and a bit of a visionary when it comes to the world of "Indie Comics", and (at least I think) an awesome ambassador for the city he inhabited and obviously loved. I wish Pittsburgh had someone like him. I think he'll be appreciated more as time goes on.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:56 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
He was my cousin. Although he distanced himself and I never met him, I met his brother and mother several times. I enjoyed reading his work, especially because some of it was about my family members and stories that my parents and grandparents had told me. Definitely an interesting guy, and very important to this area.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Harvey Pekar is pretty much a legend around these parts.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Default Coventry Village, American Splendor film locations

Remembering Harvey Pekar in Coventry Village and a long list Harvey Pekar resources:

Coventry Village | Cleveland Heights Ohio

Coventry Village | Cleveland Heights Ohio

American Splendor film locations:

Film locations for American Splendor (2003)

Has anybody ever visited the Halloran Park Skating Rink, one of the most iconic locations in western Cleveland?

Old 05-19-2015, 12:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I am always looking for new authors and novels to read because while I mostly read non fiction, I like a good fiction story every now and then. I have never heard of this author but he sounds like someone worthwhile looking up. I like reading books in which the cities they take are a background for the story.

One of my favorite novels, "The Devil And White City" by Erik Larson is based on real history which takes place in my home town of Chicago during the Chicago 1893 World's Fair.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:31 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am always looking for new authors and novels to read because while I mostly read non fiction, I like a good fiction story every now and then. I have never heard of this author but he sounds like someone worthwhile looking up. I like reading books in which the cities they take are a background for the story.

One of my favorite novels, "The Devil And White City" by Erik Larson is based on real history which takes place in my home town of Chicago during the Chicago 1893 World's Fair.

You might want to check out Conrad Richter's Pulitzer Prize-winning Ohio Trilogy, especially as he lived in Cleveland for 14 years. These were made into a TV mini-series starring Elizabeth Montgomery and Hal Holbrook. I wonder if Richter wrote any novels that were set in Cleveland.

WOSU Presents Ohioana Authors | Conrad Richter

The Awakening Land - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps also check out Ohioana, which you may enjoy joining. They have field trips, which may originate in Columbus. With the new Megabus service there, it may be easy to make the connection, or maybe not. However, there are Cleveland members who drive to locations and you may be able to split costs. I'm not a member, but I have a friend in Columbus who is a member and enjoys it greatly.

Home Page of the Ohioana Library

Thanks for the reading suggestion. I noted it! Maybe I'll read it on a Lake Erie beach this summer!!!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 PM

171 posts, read 149,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Harvey Pekar's specialty is graphic comic books, and he was one of the original pioneers of the genre. They are very good. He wrote a lot about his day-to-day life in Cleveland. Reading his books is what first got me interested in Cleveland.

I would also check out the movie "American Splendor", which is about his life. It's an excellent movie in its own right.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I've heard of "American Splendor." I will check it out as well as the other things he has done.

I am familiar with the graphic comic genre. I used to be a fan of the "Sandman" graphic comics by Neil Gamien. I still read Gamien's books and have met him at a Sci Fi Con in Seattle. He's a really interesting guy.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
I learned, and probably many others did too, about Harvey Pekar because of the recurring appearances on Late Night With David Letterman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9XzqnLLiqs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland