U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:54 PM

8,232 posts, read 5,263,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
You sound like a little scared suburbanite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post

Also, for links to the EPA brownfield Superfund cleanup site that was/is Battery Park, read here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cleveland/c...et_rid_of_the/
In short, not surprisingly, it ain't 100%. It's safe enough to meet EPA thresholds (does THAT ease your mind? Nahhhh....) Bet they don't talk about that during the townhouse sales pitch. Too many people (esp. out of town younger professional people) have NO idea of the toxic history of the place. Too many other options in and around the neighborhood than this option. Why risk it? No lame taxbreak is worth THAT.
It sounds as if he just doesn't want to glow in the dark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,499,514 times
Lol at living on the near Westside/Downtown as a commute splitter for Mentor and Akron.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,894 times
Felt a need to chime in as someone familiar with NEO, since I see bad advice on both sides of this argument.

First, let's consider your commutes to work. The distance/drive time from Akron to Mentor WITHOUT traffic along Rte. 8/271/90 is 50 miles/54 minutes. However, 271 along Beachwood/Mayfield Heights can easily add 10-15 min (or more with accidents) to that drive due to traffic from Eaton, Progressive, Ahuja Medical Center, and other businesses along the corridor. Realistically, if you land somewhere in the middle of that corridor very close to 271, you're each looking at 35 minute one way commutes. So, splitting the distance between Akron and Mentor is not easy.

Some locations for consideration:

Solon: It is a few miles to the east of that corridor along 422, which also has its own traffic issues during rush hour. From a residential area of Solon, expect a 35 mile/45-50 min commute to Mentor and 35 mile/40-45 min commute to Akron. Solon would be great if you had school-age children, but it seems like you are both at least 7-10 years away from that. If I were doing such a long commute, I would at least want to come home to somewhere with walkable stores/restaurants/parks as driving 2-3 hours/day would be rather unhealthy. Solon is not walkable at all.

Detroit Shoreway: From the house listed by the above poster, expect a 28 mile/35-40 min drive to Mentor and a 43 mile/45-50 min commute to Akron. Also, both work places would mostly be reverse commutes. So, not much different from Solon, but the location reaches within a 5-10 min walk Lake Erie/Edgewater Park and numerous dining options/theaters around Detroit Shoreway/Gordon Square. Edgewater Park has vastly improved with Metroparks maintenance, and a $90mil redo of the Rte 2 shoreway is adding pedestrian tunnels/bike trails. The Battery Park neighborhood is safe, but south of Detroit Ave can be sketchy at night. The above claim about soil condition has no merit or basis of fact. Regardless, the area has improved substantially over the past 15-20 years and new apartments/homes are going up now.

Mayfield/Mayfield Heights: 15 mile/25-30 minute commute to Mentor, 40 mile/45-50 min drive to Akron. Not as culturally interesting as Detroit Shoreway, but the North Chagrin Reservation is nice if you can find a house close to there. You are still dealing with 271 traffic problems, but this location is more practical commuting-wise and offers more amenities than Solon.

Tremont: 30 mile/30-35 min commute to Mentor, 40 mile/40-45 min commute to Akron. Culturally interesting with numerous independent restaurants and coffee shops plus Lincoln Park. A lot of infill housing construction in recent years, and homes go for anywhere from $200-600k. This location offers more of a reverse commute than Detroit Shoreway, and you are very close to Ohio City and downtown for further entertainment options.

Bottom Line: Don't dismiss the gentrifying Cleveland neighborhoods listed above as they offer reverse commutes similar drive times/distance to your work places as well as avoiding the 271 corridor mess. In addition, for a late-20's childless couple, there are far more opportunities for meeting college-educated people your age and community engagement vs living in suburbs populated by older families with school-aged kids. That said, if you are dead set on picking a suburb, I would choose Mayfield/Mayfield Heights based on proximity to outdoor recreation or Hudson (which I did not consider above but is along the 271 corridor and has a walkable, charming town center).

Old 06-11-2015, 08:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,499,514 times
I live in Beachwood and did the Chagrin to 480 West thing for my morning commutes and the reverse during afternoon rush hour. It's really worse going the other way (271N in the morning and 271S in the afternoon). In my experience, it's mostly cleared out past Cedar though you get some backup for the Cedar Road exit itself.

Thinking this through some more, I'd go with Mayfield/Mayfield Heights as best from a commute standpoint though somewhere off the Cedar exit wouldn't be horrible (though I'm not sure there's much in your price range in that area). Mayfield is a good school district and reasonably diverse so for kids down the line (assuming you don't move) you're set.

I don't know enough about Macedonia to comment, but I'd really only consider Beachwood/Orange after Mayfield/Mayfield Hts though that's coming at it from a school-emphasized POV. If you're eventually moving or not having kids, there my be a couple other alternatives worth consdering.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM

37 posts, read 36,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I live in Beachwood and did the Chagrin to 480 West thing for my morning commutes and the reverse during afternoon rush hour. It's really worse going the other way (271N in the morning and 271S in the afternoon). In my experience, it's mostly cleared out past Cedar though you get some backup for the Cedar Road exit itself.

Thinking this through some more, I'd go with Mayfield/Mayfield Heights as best from a commute standpoint though somewhere off the Cedar exit wouldn't be horrible (though I'm not sure there's much in your price range in that area). Mayfield is a good school district and reasonably diverse so for kids down the line (assuming you don't move) you're set.

I don't know enough about Macedonia to comment, but I'd really only consider Beachwood/Orange after Mayfield/Mayfield Hts though that's coming at it from a school-emphasized POV. If you're eventually moving or not having kids, there my be a couple other alternatives worth consdering.
Thanks for all of the detailed info! We are just in a tough spot with our respective employers being located in completely opposite locations. I am going to check into Mayfield and see what is available for us.It looks like Mayfield gives me a 39 mile commute and Shaker is about 34 miles to Akron. Based on what i've been reading I am assuming there is more traffic in Shaker. While I'd like to get something centrally located for the both of us, i'd feel better making the longer drive than her. At this time schools are not a huge priority as I am anticipating being in the property for only 5-10 years. It's really only our starter home. I know it sounds cliche but once the kids start coming we will be moving to Hudson.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 AM

Notice post 13 has only one post and echoes the same viewpoints, highly suspect IMO, as the poster in posts 3 and 9, who aggressively promotes west side gentrifying neighborhoods, especially the Detroit Shoreway.

It ridiculous to think that there aren't enjoyable restaurants, compared to even the Detroit Shoreway area, in the eastern suburbs. Check out the Cleveland PD A-list here, including Shaker Square adjacent to Shaker Heights. Check tripadvisor.com restaurant ratings for suburbs in areas of interest.

Cleveland: Dining Overview - TripAdvisor

30 Best Beachwood Restaurants on TripAdvisor - See 60 restaurants in Beachwood, OH with 1,296 reviews

I would urge anybody to check the commutes from prospective residences during the actual commuting hours and using the selected commuting routes.

I-271 is a corporate corridor and the big issue would be getting on I-271. The interchange used would make a big difference, as would the time of commute. Only by checking the commute can you identify any problems.

Mitigating I-271 traffic are the express lanes. However, these ridiculously have a speed limit of only 60 mph, the same as the rest of I-271 through the eastern suburbs.

It sounds as if your wife/partner is well familiar with the commute on I-271 north from Stow, so, getting on I-271 and the trip south likely are the largest unknowns.

The only comment I will make about the Detroit/Shoreway area, which I doubt that you'll consider anyway, is that it isn't convenient to north/south interstates. The east/west commute could involve rush hour traffic both ways in the vicinity of downtown west to the Detroit Shoreway.

I suspect the commute from the Detroit Shoreway area to where you work in Akron would more approximate 55-60 minutes, at best. Similarly the commute from Tremont to Akron would be longer than represented in post 13. Freeway access from Tremont can take 5-10 minutes even outside rush hours.

I highly suspect it's ridiculous to state the commute from Detroit Shoreway or Tremont to Mentor is only 5 or even 10 minutes more than from Mayfield/Mayfield Hts. Even ignoring the greater distance, consider that from Tremont you have to go through Cleveland during rush hours, with the Innerbelt bridge still an issue! Talk about potential traffic jams!!!

Bottomline: Take the time to check all prospective commutes yourself on an average (not a holiday weekend) work day. Don't rely on representations from anybody else that you will be burdened with for five years.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post

Beachwood and Orange school districts are very good, perhaps even better than the Mayfield school district.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Notice post 13 has only one post and echoes the same viewpoints, highly suspect IMO, as the poster in posts 3 and 9, who aggressively promotes west side gentrifying neighborhoods, especially the Detroit Shoreway.

It ridiculous to think that there aren't enjoyable restaurants, compared to even the Detroit Shoreway area, in the eastern suburbs. Check out the Cleveland PD A-list here, including Shaker Square adjacent to Shaker Heights. Check tripadvisor.com restaurant ratings for suburbs in areas of interest.

Cleveland: Dining Overview - TripAdvisor

30 Best Beachwood Restaurants on TripAdvisor - See 60 restaurants in Beachwood, OH with 1,296 reviews

I would urge anybody to check the commutes from prospective residences during the actual commuting hours and using the selected commuting routes.

I-271 is a corporate corridor and the big issue would be getting on I-271. The interchange used would make a big difference, as would the time of commute. Only by checking the commute can you identify any problems.

Mitigating I-271 traffic are the express lanes. However, these ridiculously have a speed limit of only 60 mph, the same as the rest of I-271 through the eastern suburbs.

It sounds as if your wife/partner is well familiar with the commute on I-271 north from Stow, so, getting on I-271 and the trip south likely are the largest unknowns.

The only comment I will make about the Detroit/Shoreway area, which I doubt that you'll consider anyway, is that it isn't convenient to north/south interstates. The east/west commute could involve rush hour traffic both ways in the vicinity of downtown west to the Detroit Shoreway.

I suspect the commute from the Detroit Shoreway area to where you work in Akron would more approximate 55-60 minutes, at best. Similarly the commute from Tremont to Akron would be longer than represented in post 13. Freeway access from Tremont can take 5-10 minutes even outside rush hours.

I highly suspect it's ridiculous to state the commute from Detroit Shoreway or Tremont to Mentor is only 5 or even 10 minutes more than from Mayfield/Mayfield Hts. Even ignoring the greater distance, consider that from Tremont you have to go through Cleveland during rush hours, with the Innerbelt bridge still an issue! Talk about potential traffic jams!!!

Bottomline: Take the time to check all prospective commutes yourself on an average (not a holiday weekend) work day. Don't rely on representations from anybody else that you will be burdened with for five years.
Ummm I recently started reading this forum and wanted to give my input since I know NEO fairly well, and I saw many inaccurate points made by everyone. I used Google Maps as my source for commute times, then added 5-10 min based on rush hour traffic. My overarching point was there is no easy place to split a commute between Mentor and Akron. I was just trying to point out that Tremont and Detroit Shoreway commutes aren't much worse than the suggested suburban ones. None of them are ideal honestly.

Personally, I am in my mid-20s and reverse commute from downtown to Lake County for work. 20 min each way, however I avoid the innerbelt corridor by continuing on Rte. 2 home to E9th, which shortens my time substantially. If you were to take the innerbelt corridor to Tremont returning home between 4 and 6 at night, it would add 10 min to the commute, which is reflected in my time estimate.

Absolutely, test drive commutes from your considered locations before making a final decision!

Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee2thecleve14 View Post
If you were to take the innerbelt corridor to Tremont returning home between 4 and 6 at night, it would add 10 min to the commute, which is reflected in my time estimate.
Ummm! I'm intimately familiar with back-ups on Route 2 heading through Cleveland south by way of the Innerbelt during evening rush hours and I remain doubtful of your estimates. It's interesting with your personal expertise that you didn't raise the issue in your initial post.

With stoplights, I also wouldn't enjoy taking East 9th to Carnegie to Tremont.

Besides the Innerbelt construction mess, Dead Man's Curve remains one of the great bottlenecks on the entire Interstate system and always an accident hazard, especially when road conditions are bad.

Regardless, there's no comparison of the ease of commute from Mentor to Mayfield/Mayfield Hts. versus to Tremont, contrary to the implications of your first post.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:40 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,430,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
So much misinformation in this post that I don't even know where to begin. Borderline ignorant. What's it like still living 1992?

And a LAME tax break? LOL what kind of an idiot wouldn't want an extra 5k in their pocket (for 15yrs)?? LAME!

You sound like a little scared suburbanite. Or are you just jealous of the fact that the near westside and Downtown are growing faster than any chain-infested burb?

BOOM.

Cleveland's inner city is growing faster than its suburbs as young adults flock downtown

Cleveland's inner city is growing faster than its suburbs as young adults flock downtown | cleveland.com
Detroit Shoreway neighborhood hottest housing market in Greater Cleveland: See the Top 10 list

Detroit Shoreway neighborhood hottest housing market in Greater Cleveland: See the Top 10 list | cleveland.com

To the OP, if you care at all about future property values, you should give my suggestion a second look.
Sounds like someone has a 2 bedroom, 1300 sq. ft., but $200,000 townhouse to sell. One that's dropped $25K in price in the last month despite "the young adults flocking..." (what...no bidding war? Hmmm.) With an overrated (yes, it's not 1960 anymore) 2015 tax break, of which $1500 of the $5K saved will get swallowed up in HOA fees.

Look, my pointing out accurate things about a neighborhood I lived only nine blocks from (until two years ago when we moved out of state) does not make me a "little scared suburbanite." At all. I know that neighborhood VIVDLY. Been in most of the bars, restaurants, churches, businesses, and quite a few homes. And seen enough positive AND negative stuff(day and night) about the area to know it's not Westlake. I know it far better than most, actually. And the OP being unaware of Battery Park's toxic history shows that too many of the young adults moving in are unaware of what can (and does happen) in and around Detroit-Shoreway. Shouldn't he/she be made aware? Isn't that what's great about City-Data?

A daily commute from Detroit-Shoreway, to Mentor or to Akron, is ridiculous. Just nuts and not necessary. OP's just got other options. I could not imagine doing it in January, especially. And the big West Shoreway road project coming up shouldn't do anything to save commuting time, either.

I never said the community wasn't growing, and why would I be jealous? I'm a huge fan of the neighborhood, and I made that abundantly clear. My wishing LeBron James had a higher free throw percentage does not make me any less a Cavs fan, for example, just because I have the audacity to mention it. Does my wishing the Browns would figure out their QB situation and saying "what a mess" make me any less a Browns fan? No. So, does my acknowledgement of pre-existing (and kind of intentionally well-hidden) issues make me any less a Detroit Shoreway fan....NO. The neighborhood has NOT done a complete 180...it is instead just better. But Not Perfect. And THAT is what's cool about it. Townhouses AND some city grit. (And some mercury in the groundwater.)

But, unlike many who look at only the positives and the recent changes, I also do not have my head in the sand over pre-existing issues of toxicity and petty crime (and sometimes more violent...Google "crime" and "Detroit Shoreway Cleveland" and you'll get schooled. And yes, I was around the neighborhood for the last twenty years....PROUDLY. Craciun Funeral Home, St. Mary's, Mt. Carmel, City Grill, The Italian-American Veterans Club, Tina's, and the battery factory, and much more. If you think all of that has no bearing on the current status of the neighborhood because it happened before a couple of thousand hip folks moved in, well, then I don't know what to say. Except that you need to catch up on your history and quit blindly waving your flag.

Don't forget to brush the Eveready battery acid off of those garden vegetables! Mmm, mmm!

BOOM to you.

Last edited by kpl1228; 06-11-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or