U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 PM

308 posts, read 714,529 times

Advertisements

I live just off the 271/Cedar interchange in Lyndhurst. Your commutes from that area won't be an issue. My wife does a similar reverse commute south. It's an easy 30-35 minute ride with little traffic most days. The exceptions are due to weather, accidents and construction. Outside of that, it's not worth worrying about.

Going north in the AM, as long as you are entering 271 from Cedar/Brainard, Mayfield or Wilson Mills, you will miss all of the major congestion. 271 traffic is very bad between Macedonia and Cedar but you would be bypassing it. That said, you could even avoid 271 altogether. Both Brainard/Bishop and Som Center (Route 91) take you directly to 90 with minimal traffic and few stoplights especially once you pass Wilson Mills Road.

All in all, I think those pointing you to the Mayfield area are spot on. It's about as central as you can get for both of your commutes and with few headaches. You will find being so close to both 271 and 90 as being a huge convenience. Access to those freeways was a major factor as to why we chose to live here
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 36,212 times
Is Mayfield and Mayfield Heights basically the same thing? Any particular reason to seek out one over the other?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,497,018 times
I'm not sure technically,TBH. My impression is that Mayfield proper is more built-up/business-y while Mayfield Heights (and Mayfield Village which I think is another thing) are more residential. I think of Mayfield as Mayfield Road west of 271 whereas I think of Mayfield Heights as east of 271 and Mayfield Village north of that closer to the Metropark. If you're familiar with the area, you should understand what I'm getting at with feel though I have no idea where the actual lines/areas are.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:06 PM

8,159 posts, read 5,234,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8506 View Post
Is Mayfield and Mayfield Heights basically the same thing? Any particular reason to seek out one over the other?
They are separate political entities. Make certain in your case that you understand the residential income tax credit, real estate tax rates, and services (garbage collection free in some communities; recreational amenities; etc.).

http://treasurer.cuyahogacounty.us/p...2015Final2.pdf

https://www.mayfieldvillage.com/serv...erty-tax-rates

https://www.ritaohio.com/municipalit...ghts/?MODE=ISN

You're probably well aware of the importance of the municipal residential income tax credit in any Ohio city in which you live as you're currently an Ohio resident.

Mayfield Hts. has a large tax base and so has a lower income tax rate, which would be important if you ever work there. Check with somebody about how the 50 percent residential credit works in Mayfield Hts., but I suspect you're OK if you're paying a 2 percent municipal income tax rate in the work city, but again, check on this.

As Mayfield Village is less financially secure than Mayfield Hts., as indicated by the higher municipal income tax rate, there may be more of a possibility there of the village council reducing the residential credit rate. This probably isn't a big risk, but I thought I would mention it.

Check out the Cleveland Magazine ratings. Mayfield Village appears to have more expensive homes and a higher crime rate. They share the same school district. Mayfield Heights is more walkable.

Check out the reason for the higher crime rates. It may be associated with property crimes such as shoplifting associated with a retail presence relatively large compared to the community.

You should confirm the community of any prospective residence, perhaps by checking county property records online.

To my knowledge, Mayfield means Mayfield Village technically. Both are in the Mayfield school district, so both are often referred to as just "Mayfield." Note that Mayfield Hts., which has apartment buildings, has a much higher population density.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfield,_Ohio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfield_Heights,_Ohio

We also should have mentioned Highland Heights, north of Mayfield Heights, so further from Akron, but the same distance as Mayfield Village. It's also part of the Mayfield school district and was ranked as a top 50 place to live in the U.S. in 2011 by cnn.com (as has Mentor and perhaps a few other Greater Cleveland cities, perhaps Solon, in recent years).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Heights,_Ohio

Gates Mills and Pepper Pike also would be possibilities, but they have more expensive homes than your indicated range. Both are in a very highly rated school district.

Lyndhurst also is a possibility, but it's in a less well-rated school district, which may impact property values.

Last edited by WRnative; 06-12-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 PM

37 posts, read 36,212 times
You guys are awesome. This website has really made my research much more interesting. It's cool to hear several different perspectives about Cleveland.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:39 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,425,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
All in all, I think those pointing you to the Mayfield area are spot on. It's about as central as you can get for both of your commutes and with few headaches. You will find being so close to both 271 and 90 as being a huge convenience. Access to those freeways was a major factor as to why we chose to live here
Agreed. Anywhere along that I-271 corridor (with the possible exception of Cedar/Brainard interchange at rush hours---yuck) is about as good as it can get for your situation.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 PM

8,159 posts, read 5,234,643 times
I just assumed that you've visited Beachwood Mall and Legacy Village. If not, check them out before making your decision. I believe Legacy Village actually is in Lyndhurst.

Please provide us feedback as you research these communities and about your ultimate decision. It will help others in the future.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,497,018 times
Quote:
It's cool to hear several different perspectives about Cleveland.
Wait until you're around for one of the periodic, extended "discussions" on Shaker Heights schools.

Or one of the occasional downtown vs. suburb wastes of time.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM

308 posts, read 714,529 times
Quote:
They share school districts but that's it. Mayfield Village is much more desirable. The housing stock is better and the neighborhoods are more upscale. The village has better services, parks and in some areas, is almost semi-rural in feeling. The village features a network of trails that lead to North Chagrin Metropark.

Mayfield Heights is heavy on bungalows with fairly non descript neighborhoods. The housing stock isn't all that great and their city services aren't that great either compared to its neighbors. Outside of the location and school district, theres not too much of a reason to live there. There's a few real nice pockets of the city but I find most of the neighborhoods to be sub par especially compared to its neighboring cities. Is it safe? Absolutely, just has very little curb appeal except for those few pockets. All the rental properties hurt the city quite a bit

I wouldn't rule out Lyndhurst either. Better housing stock, parks, services and neighborhoods than MH. The issue with Lyndhurst is simple - the schools. Most residents are hesitant to send their kids to the local high school due to reputation among other things. This lowers property values. That said, Sunview Elementary is a very good school and there's a ton of private options which is where most Lyndhurst kids end up. Since you're planning to only live here short term, you wouldn't have to worry about the schools much.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:09 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,425,834 times
^ People are scared to send their kids to Lyndhurst HS? Have we really all become that picky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or