U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 PM

37 posts, read 36,232 times

Advertisements

Okay so I wanted to give a final update. We just signed our purchase agreement today. We are buying in Aurora. It is right on the boarder of Twinsburg. That gives us easy access to 480 and fairly close to 8.After looking at the mileage, it is 28 miles to Akron and 30 miles to Mentor. This is about as split as one can get. Hopefully this helps someone in the future who may be in a similar situation. Now it's time to do some more research on Aurora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 01:37 PM

8,173 posts, read 5,239,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8506 View Post
Okay so I wanted to give a final update. We just signed our purchase agreement today. We are buying in Aurora. It is right on the boarder of Twinsburg. That gives us easy access to 480 and fairly close to 8.After looking at the mileage, it is 28 miles to Akron and 30 miles to Mentor. This is about as split as one can get. Hopefully this helps someone in the future who may be in a similar situation. Now it's time to do some more research on Aurora.
Congratulations! Are you in a walkable neighborhood with sidewalks?

Interestingly, looking at a map, Aurora doesn't border the city of Twinsburg. It does border Reminderville and Twinsburg Township.

Will your wife take Route 306 to work? It might be a fun drive in good weather.

Thanks for the report. Perhaps come back in a year and let us know how it worked out.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:44 PM

37 posts, read 36,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Congratulations! Are you in a walkable neighborhood with sidewalks?

Interestingly, looking at a map, Aurora doesn't border the city of Twinsburg. It does border Reminderville and Twinsburg Township.

Thanks for the report. Perhaps come back in a year and let us know how it worked out.
Thank you. It is in a newer development so it's very walkable. I did lose the ability to walk to restaurants/bars that I would have had closer to Cleveland, but I think it is a fair trade. About the border you are correct. I may have misspoke. We are bordering Twinsburg Township. I appreciate the help you all have provided on this forum.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:49 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,497,534 times
That is a long ways to go on 306. That winter drive is going to be tricky, IMO.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:01 PM

8,173 posts, read 5,239,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
That is a long ways to go on 306. That winter drive is going to be tricky, IMO.
480 to 271 in all weather will be faster, but not as fun or interesting as 306.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,426,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
Gross. The suburbs are so 1985.

As the national workforce skews toward a younger, more environmentally conscious demographic, the walkability of a neighborhood is becoming an increasingly important factor in attracting talent. According to the Pew Research Center, Millennials are now the largest generational segment of the American workforce, making up 34 percent of all workers. This is the same generational segment who are frequenting public transit and riding bikes to work. Twenty years ago, 20.8 percent of cars on the road were driven by 21-30 year olds. According to the 2010 Federal Highway Administration, that number dropped to 13.7 percent by 2009. Four in five millennials say they want to live somewhere they have a variety of transportation options to get to jobs, school and daily needs; and three out of four say they are likely to choose to live where they don't need a car to get places, according to Transportation For America.

http://www.cleveland.com/sponsor-con...8kBAODQDAlM0LA
Gross? Really?

The city is transforming in certain neighborhoods. That is usually a good thing. But the only thing more annoying than the hassles of commuting are smug, condescending, tunnel-visioned people who recently moved to a hip neighborhood and assume that THEIRS is the "right" way to live a life. As George Carlin once said, "people who think that the only thing wrong with the world is that there's not enough bicycle paths." That the urban world needs to become one big Detroit-Shoreway, and that the "lesser" out-of-touch folks (as in 1985?) need to get on board or risk a whole bunch of head-shaking and tsk-tsking from the "superior" folks who are with the times and have it ALL figured out, since they moved to their newly sanitized urban community AFTER the groundbreaking hardworking folks made it safe for their retro bicycles and start-up freelance art business. And have only lived in their neighborhood a couple of years but "know it all."

News flash: sometimes couples work in different communities. And sometimes, esp. in NE Ohio, a car is required. Urban neighborhoods in the city proper are terrific, but sometimes it just is NOT a reality for certain folks in certain situations. Hats off to the OP for making it work in a quality community and, by the way, minimizing the amount of time their car(s) will be on the road. And isn't THAT what you're griping about?

We can't all have it perfect regarding the home/work commute, as a family. They did a good job of meeting their wants and needs halfway.

Can't wait to see what you do when you have a family and don't want to deal with drunks and knife fights at 3 AM (I know the neighborhood quite well). Or an hour long commute in good weather, so you can still live in your "perfect" neighborhood. Now doesn't THAT sound gross?

Last edited by kpl1228; 08-10-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 09:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,497,534 times
Well said. The inability by some to consider other viewpoints on where to live is one of the worst things about this forum.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:03 AM

39 posts, read 33,107 times
I agree with rocks. Suburban living ain't what it used to be. Cities around the country are coming back thanks to millenials.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:42 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,426,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinglargeinDC View Post
I agree with rocks. Suburban living ain't what it used to be. Cities around the country are coming back thanks to millenials.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with this.
But that is not the topic of this post. OP's trying (and has now found) a place GEOGRAPHICALLY CONVENIENT for two jobs, which the best location for convenience purposes happens to be in a suburb...the only question was which one.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:22 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,502,568 times
I probably would have stayed closer to the 271 corridor, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or