Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 12:15 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times

Advertisements

This spring & earl summer has been a poor one for weather in the Great Lakes region. Weather is not everything though. Many of the World's best cities have undesirable weather, but that does not take away from their greatness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Yep, got tired of everyone always being down about the weather and miserable about it all the time. I mean what is there to not understand about weather in a given location.... either you like it or you don't and if it bothers someone that much, then maybe they should move to a location that suits their preference? "But... but.. but.. I can't move because of this and that and this and that...."

Nothing like you having to listen to people who complain about their situation be it weather or something else, but never try to take any steps to resolve their complaint!
Actually couldn't agree more with this statement. Many people in Cleveland at least seem to complain about the weather on a regular basis. On the other hand, you see people in a place like Austin that gets semi cold winters and God-awfully hot summers yet seem to adjust. Another example would be people in Minneapolis, or in Canadian cities or Northern/Central European capitals which all get weather colder than Cleveland, and in some cases, more than 15-20 degrees or so on average, yet they seem to embrace it.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Actually couldn't agree more with this statement. Many people in Cleveland at least seem to complain about the weather on a regular basis. On the other hand, you see people in a place like Austin that gets semi cold winters and God-awfully hot summers yet seem to adjust. Another example would be people in Minneapolis, or in Canadian cities or Northern/Central European capitals which all get weather colder than Cleveland, and in some cases, more than 15-20 degrees or so on average, yet they seem to embrace it.
"That's just about right. It's also not uncommon to go for weeks with overcast, gray sky during the winter as the fronts move through. For me, the prolonged wet, dreary winter months are even worse than the summer humidity."

That post was made 2 days ago... in the Houston forum.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Nah, I just relocated last year from Portland, OR so the gloomy, rainy days aren't anything different for me. Prior to that I lived in Chicago so I was no stranger to ice and snow. One thing I like about our weather is that it's cooler here now than in Portland where it's already threatening to hit triple digits which I do not like at all. So no problem with the weather here for me.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:46 PM

64 posts, read 81,448 times
A week ago there were STILL unmelted remains of snow piles in Boston. However bad things seem, they can always be worse. I have found that a week or so in Florida in February gets me through the worst winters.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:22 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
The winter was awful in NEO this year and a very long season. I have many customers and friends in Cleveland and often conversations were of complaining about the weather. Now comes Spring and Summer and continuous rain, flooding lower temperatures. My brother boats on a flood prevention lake and he hasn't been able to go out on lake due to high water levels. I'd say mother nature is playing head games and folks got to be fed up. I had a class reunion this weekend and planned to go up, also do a little boating, tennis. Saw WJW-8 miserable forecast and just cancelled trip, wanted to enjoy the outdoors this weekend..

I've lived here for three years (Trumbull County - so I miss the snow belt by several miles - but it's still significant) I love Ohio, and I enjoy many aspects of life here.

Except after a punishing winter I was hoping for a slight reprieve. We wanted to go camping some weekend at one of the state parks. That hasn't happened. Last weekend we enjoyed Simply Slavic - a street festival in Y'Town. It was well attended but if someone had an umbrella concession they could have made a fortune. We left early because of the rain.

This year we joined a country club. I was expecting to lie by the pool, and play some tennis. We spent Memorial Day there. That was it.

My daughter just graduated from High School and wanted to have a bonfire party. We bought an attractive fire pit for those slightly cool but dry summer nights. They haven't happened yet.

I love the changes of season and I don't think I could EVER live in a place that was warm year round.

But what season is THIS? Monsoon? I did not sign up for this.

And yes, it's DEPRESSING as HELL... but colder and wetter.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:21 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Climate Change isn't real! The jury is still out!

IMO, this is a ridiculous statement, totally contrary to the overwhelming weight of scientific research. Here's just some recent research regarding the Antarctic ice shelves and glaciers.

Massive Antarctic Ice Shelf Will Disappear Completely In A Few Years, According To NASA | ThinkProgress

NASA Study Shows Antarctica?s Larsen B Ice Shelf Nearing Its Final Act | NASA

JPL | News | West Antarctic Glacier Loss Appears Unstoppable

Bad News Keeps Flowing From Antarctica | Climate Central

We'll be impacted by a warming planet, but except to the extent that our Congressional representatives divert resources from Ohio to coastal areas, we'll be less impacted than other areas of the country, and our winters likely will become ever more mild.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:59 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

IMO, this is a ridiculous statement, totally contrary to the overwhelming weight of scientific research. Here's just some recent research regarding the Antarctic ice shelves and glaciers.

Massive Antarctic Ice Shelf Will Disappear Completely In A Few Years, According To NASA | ThinkProgress

NASA Study Shows Antarctica?s Larsen B Ice Shelf Nearing Its Final Act | NASA

JPL | News | West Antarctic Glacier Loss Appears Unstoppable

Bad News Keeps Flowing From Antarctica | Climate Central

We'll be impacted by a warming planet, but except to the extent that our Congressional representatives divert resources from Ohio to coastal areas, we'll be less impacted than other areas of the country, and our winters likely will become ever more mild.
I don't think he was being serious.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:10 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
No. Give me rainy, cool weather any day over that 95-100+ degree nonsense. The only time there can be "too much" rain is if it drowns out my garden. So far, my garden is as healthy as can be. Let it rain.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:21 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
"That's just about right. It's also not uncommon to go for weeks with overcast, gray sky during the winter as the fronts move through. For me, the prolonged wet, dreary winter months are even worse than the summer humidity."

That post was made 2 days ago... in the Houston forum.
Interesting. Well then I suppose many seem to complain about weather on a regular basis regardless of location. I find it interesting that they say that about winter. What I think is true is that in some ways some snow really does add something to the climate. At least when it's cold/snowy, it opens doors to a whole new variety of winter sports, sledding, skiing etc., where just plain cold and 40s-low 50s for them might be just depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland