Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I think the current count is at 7, but Im not completely sure. We are still way down from the number we had last year, I think by this time last year Cleveland had around 20 already. So we are either at 7, or they arent keeping the list updated on the news and Cleveland.com. Akron had 3 murders already. Im not sure about any other cities I havent heard anything.
The city still needs to do more I think. 7 maybe a lot better than last year, but I would prefer a number lower, or better yet, none. It really makes you wonder where cities like St. Louis, Detroit and Philadelphia sit right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 12:19 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
I don't think the number is at 7. I don't trust only what Cleveland.com puts on their website.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
I think Cleveland.com and the other news sites and stations may have regretted that they spent so much time on mentioning almost every murder that occured so this year they could have stopped reporting a lot of them maybe. It was almost everyday sometimes that the site would report another murder that happened. It is kind of weird that Cleveland could go from having over 20 this time last year to only having around 7. Overall I think all the cities are doing a little bit better this year.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM

302 posts, read 1,100,853 times
Last year around this time, or a bit before there was a drug shortage(heroin I think) on the streets, so the gangs and dealers went after what was left to be sold/taken, hence a higher murder rate.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
No, I agree with Cle440...I've noticed much more positive news write ups from the PD and cleveland.com headlines recently. It really is interesting how news and headlines can sway public opinion so fast--on that note, it is great to see a slight change in the focus of the articles and change of a more positive tone on the city. (stories link police busts, private investment in the city, and other feel good stories.)

But I also agree with Traveler. 7 is still too much.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Im not sure if it had anything to do with a drug shortage or not. I know last year the CPD and the Ohio highway patrol confiscated hundreds of pounds of Cocaine and Heroin, and most of it was headed to Cleveland I think. I remember hearing about how bad that the St. Clair/Superior neighborhood had gotten and they were having shootings every single day and night. I think the neighborhood is doing a lot better so far this year though.

One reason why people said the crime rate was so high over the last 2-3 years is that a lot of the criminals who had been locked up in the early-late 90s and had 8-15 year sentences had been released and most of them lived in Cleveland. It was on the news that the majority of the entire Ohio prison population came from one city, Cleveland. Thats really bad seeing that the city of Cleveland only makes up 4% of the Ohio population.

Overall I think Cleveland has had a lot better start to this year than last year. Hopefully it will stay that way, but there is no way to tell how the city will do from May-September.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 AM

302 posts, read 1,100,853 times
I was told by a Cleveland Police Detective that many of the murders and violence were related to the drug shortages.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 PM

I think the murder count is still at around 7-8. There was just a high speed chase with a helicopter that was on the news where they were chasing a guy going E on St. Clair and he crashed at Ansel Rd. and Superior Ave. His blood alcohol content was twice the limit and he also had marijuana and a loaded gun on him and warrants.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:10 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,660 times
can't judge a northern city til it's warm...

Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
can't judge a northern city til it's warm...
Thats pretty accurate for Cleveland and other northern cities. Theres no telling what will happen in the city from May-October. Last year I think Cleveland averaged about 15 murders per month from May-October and December was bad too, for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland