Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgserge27 View Post
You can't compare the population of Cleveland and Columbus, that's a joke. They annex all the suburbs so that would be like comparing Columbus with Cuyahoga County. That's a discussion for an all together different thread though.
I agree with him.

Both Cleveland and cincy have dense suburbs that are more urban than parts of the Columbus City limits. Hell, you have to go 2 to 3 suburbs east or west in Cleveland to ever get a "suburban" feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:56 PM

23 posts, read 69,034 times
what about euclid and cleveland heights

Old 10-11-2008, 05:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.chicago View Post
what about euclid and cleveland heights
Euclid- Not really suburban at all in feel or look, the street grid is similar to a very urban city and the density is very high.

Cleveland Heights- Not really that suburban either. Its a lot older than most suburbs so the feel is different, it has a lot more of an urban feel than "true" suburbs like say Westlake.

Most the suburbs around Cleveland are a lot older so they have a much different appearance than the newer and generic/cookie-cutter suburbs. Other examples are Shaker Hts., Lakewood, Rocky River, Newburgh Hts., East Cleveland, Cuyahoga Hts., Brooklyn, Brook Park, Garfield Hts, Parma, Warrensville Hts., see most of them arent. And of course Elyria and Lorain (and a few others) are just seperate cities in the Cleveland area.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
crime rates are based on population pgserge27.. columbus IS basically franklin county. take the city back to its boarders of 50 yrs ago , and now the population and the number of murders are reduced and the suburbs numbers increase. im just happy to see cleveland is not gonna have 135 murders like last year !

Old 10-12-2008, 04:45 PM

34 posts, read 141,688 times
Well I'll talk about Columbus on this thread...As I read a couple pages ago, it seems people on here want to compare Columbus and Cleveland based on homicides like it's something to be proud about.

Yes, I'm from Columbus raised in the inner city. I can count on three hands how many shootings I've personally seen that turned into homicides. Its just crazy to me how some people glorify homicides, and think their city is somehow better/winning because they're leading in homicides.

Unfortunately Columbus been hit by one the most death plague weeks since I've been a resident. seven homicides in seven days. That 85 homicides might actually be true which is terrible.

Overnight: Seventh Homicide In Seven Days - News - nbc4i.com - (http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-10-12-0001.html - broken link)

Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 AM

82 posts, read 285,328 times
1 water tiger. My point is that it's about demographics. Columbus basically includes it's suburbs, though they are part of columbus proper, in it's crime numbers. The suburbs obviously have a lot less crime. If you counted Cleveland's suburbs the per capita crime number would be much, much lower. How many murders were there in Clevelands suburbs? 30 or less, and you're doubling, at least, the population. I totally agree with you about Cleveland's numbers being down. I have a feeling that some of the Mayor's tough crime policies are really working. That's great news.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
Heres a link that shows Columbus had 86 murders so far this year and a map where all of them occured: Homicide Stats Increase By 8 In Past 9 Days - News - nbc4i.com - (http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-10-13-0016.html - broken link)

MR614, 7 murders in 7 days is pretty bad especially for Columbus, but not to brag (I dont know how it would be bragging anyways) but Cleveland had 7 murders in 1 day last year. So far this year Cleveland has had around 80 which is really good compared to last year, I havent heard of a murder in Cleveland in a couple days now. Maybe were finally seeing some improvements.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM

34 posts, read 141,688 times
Hopefully Cleveland would make the improvments...I was reading on here that citizens were getting killed just sitting on their porch. Also 7 murders in 1 day is absolutely crazy to me...Ohio just needs to get it together.

Pgserge27: what subrurbs does Columbus includes? I can understand the cities that are landlocked inside the city, but as far as the westervilles, hilliards, powells, dublins, they are considered their own cities, with no affiliation with Columbus.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
What areas does the Columbus police service? I think that would determine what's Columbus and what isn't. If there's a murder and some other police dept. covers it, it isn't Columbus is it?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
Sorry. This was a murder in Cleveland Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland