Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 06:55 PM

994 posts, read 780,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Yes, 44287 is a gorgeous area. Check out as well Ohio Amish Country and Mohican Region here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html

Real estate prices there are likely significantly lower than in Bath and Richfield townships.

I know nothing about schools in the 44287 zip code.
I guess I should've read some more. I had to look up 44287, but see it's West Salem. Coincidence, I was actually out there last fall because my nephew's football team played Northwestern Middle School (he told me they were playing "Wooster" ... lets just say it wasn't Wooster, lol). That area is definitely rural and definitely flat. It's pretty much nothing but cornfields. I don't know about the quality of education, but the school buildings looked nice (probably no more than 10-15 years old) ... the elementary, middle and high schools are all right next too each other, literally surrounded by corn on all sides (it is on a state route ... can't remember which one, though). I will say, their football team did have some big, tough kids.

I know Piper said he's not concerned about drive time, but even if it's one day a week, I wouldn't want to make that commute to either Cleveland or Solon ... exaggerating a little, but you're probably not that much further than you would be commuting to downtown Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 06:59 PM

80 posts, read 121,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Not sure how much help I can be, but since you mentioned looking in the Medina area, I'll throw this out there. I occasionally go to Hinkley Lake (nice area in the Cleveland MetroParks system). Every time I go there, there are several people riding horses and it seems like the horse trails there are pretty extensive.

The school in that area is Highland, which is considered the wealthiest in Medina County, and I believe it is the highest rated in the county, according to state report cards ... probably on par with any in Greater Cleveland. The one thing, though, is that area is anything but flat (but probably no more hilly than the areas in the Cuyahoga National Park area ... Richfield, Peninsula, Boston Heights, etc.).

I'm not sure what 300K can get you there either, but this may appeal to you, somebody told me Hinkley's zoning doesn't allow for lots less than an acre because they want it to remain rural, and most are probably well over that. So don't have to worry about it sprawling into versions of neighboring Brunswick (west) or North Royalton (north).

The commute to Solon or Cleveland actually isn't horrible, since Hinkley is between 71 and 77 and also pretty close to 271 ... probably 40 minutes to Solon, though could be longer depending on how backed up traffic gets on 271 once you get into Bedford (though that area of highway is currently being widened due to the constant congestion). Cleveland is probably 45 minutes, so not too much further.

As for age of houses, I can only go by my eye test, but seems like it's a pretty even mix from old farm houses up to brand new homes.
Good info!
We are really focusing on this area now. Turns out the sister-in-law who lives in Dublin, has some teacher friends in Brunswick and Wadsworth- We're getting details as a type this.
When I look at the map overview on the MLS, it becomes quite populated with properties meeting my criteria west of 71, towards 83. I think it would be a decent commute as I could take 71 to the airport half of my workdays.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Not sure how much help I can be, but since you mentioned looking in the Medina area, I'll throw this out there. I occasionally go to Hinkley Lake (nice area in the Cleveland MetroParks system). Every time I go there, there are several people riding horses and it seems like the horse trails there are pretty extensive.

The school in that area is Highland, which is considered the wealthiest in Medina County, and I believe it is the highest rated in the county, according to state report cards ... probably on par with any in Greater Cleveland. The one thing, though, is that area is anything but flat (but probably no more hilly than the areas in the Cuyahoga National Park area ... Richfield, Peninsula, Boston Heights, etc.).

I'm not sure what 300K can get you there either, but this may appeal to you, somebody told me Hinkley's zoning doesn't allow for lots less than an acre because they want it to remain rural, and most are probably well over that. So don't have to worry about it sprawling into versions of neighboring Brunswick (west) or North Royalton (north).

The commute to Solon or Cleveland actually isn't horrible, since Hinkley is between 71 and 77 and also pretty close to 271 ... probably 40 minutes to Solon, though could be longer depending on how backed up traffic gets on 271 once you get into Bedford (though that area of highway is currently being widened due to the constant congestion). Cleveland is probably 45 minutes, so not too much further.

As for age of houses, I can only go by my eye test, but seems like it's a pretty even mix from old farm houses up to brand new homes.
Quote:
I guess I should've read some more. I had to look up 44287, but see it's West Salem. Coincidence, I was actually out there last fall because my nephew's football team played Northwestern Middle School (he told me they were playing "Wooster" ... lets just say it wasn't Wooster, lol). That area is definitely rural and definitely flat. It's pretty much nothing but cornfields. I don't know about the quality of education, but the school buildings looked nice (probably no more than 10-15 years old) ... the elementary, middle and high schools are all right next too each other, literally surrounded by corn on all sides (it is on a state route ... can't remember which one, though). I will say, their football team did have some big, tough kids.

I know Piper said he's not concerned about drive time, but even if it's one day a week, I wouldn't want to make that commute to either Cleveland or Solon ... exaggerating a little, but you're probably not that much further than you would be commuting to downtown Columbus.
Not sure if I mentioned it, or it's listed in my profile, but I'm currently in the Bay Area. I spend around 2 hours commuting...wait for it...12 miles

A few years ago, I lived in sagebrush and mining country of Northern NV with 140 miles to cover daily. Commuting isn't for everybody, but it doesn't bother me(esp Hwy miles).

Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 PM

994 posts, read 780,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper TJ View Post
Good info!
We are really focusing on this area now. Turns out the sister-in-law who lives in Dublin, has some teacher friends in Brunswick and Wadsworth- We're getting details as a type this.
When I look at the map overview on the MLS, it becomes quite populated with properties meeting my criteria west of 71, towards 83. I think it would be a decent commute as I could take 71 to the airport half of my workdays.
I'm glad I could help. I grew up in Cleveland and now actually live in Wadsworth. Let's just say I never thought I would ever be giving anybody advice on horse farms, lol.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,230 times
Piper- I'm 5 hours south of you in SB. The Bay area is crazy! We have cousins in San Ramon and my son attends DeAnza and then San Jose St. The traffic and home costs are unreal up there.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:

As you describe it, 44287 is in the Ohio prairie, not in the hill country that is so beautiful to the south and southeast. Perhaps a bad assumption on my part. I don't remember ever visiting West Salem.

However, West Salem is almost midway between Ashland and Medina on Route 42. Looking at the following topographic map, it sure seems like there should be some hills there. At a minimum, I'm certain that the land where the school complex was built was graded.

TopoCreator - Create and print your own color shaded-relief topographic maps

Some day, I'll have to drive Route 42 between Medina and Ashland.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Piper- I'm 5 hours south of you in SB. The Bay area is crazy! We have cousins in San Ramon and my son attends DeAnza and then San Jose St. The traffic and home costs are unreal up there.
I've used other adjectives to describe it along with "crazy".
We moved here 3 years ago as we needed some specialized medical care and the great schools. It does have some decent weather, but boy, do you pay for it.
We had hoped there would be even a small market correction that would allow us to purchase some sort of property we could put the horses on, but, it ain't happenin'.
I invest in properties out of state and it's another reason I'm looking at NE Ohio. The average 3/2 SFH in my current zip is 1.2 mil

Old 05-10-2018, 08:48 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,230 times
Our area is that or more. Around my school in 93110 is 1.5 mil. When these new students arrive, I am like, "Where do your parents work?" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland