Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 08:25 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times

Advertisements

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5_M39269-20012

Anyone can give me some information on the neighborhood this house is in? I think it's called "Puritas"?
Just a general idea, as in, is it a family kind of section, is it considered dangerous, drug area, that sort of thing? Also is it easy to get around from by public trans?

I'm not local to there so know nothing about the sections of the city.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:26 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
I'd be interested to know how West 130th is doing these days. I played baseball down there at Crossburn as a teen in the late nineties, and it was kind of bad by west side standards, but mostly I remember it just being really, really blue collar. There was more crime up by 130th and Bellaire back then, but that might have changed. I imagine anyone with two nickels to rub together has left that area for Brook Park or Parma, but I might be wrong and there might still be some decent blocks down there.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 PM

Yep two nickels are about all I have to rub together!

Blue collar is A-OK. I just want to avoid areas wherein I'd be more likely to be mugged than not.
Low class works for me. My days of living in snooty areas (lived in Palm Beach for 22 years) are long past, I am poor as dirt now.

Hopefully someone will give me some firsthand info on that section, Otherwise I'm looking at condos as I want something VERY SMALL and under 30K (cash deal).

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 07-19-2015 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 11:07 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
As far as public transportation goes, it looks like that area has a good amount, there are 2 bus lines as well as a Red Line rapid stop close to there.

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default...m_Map_Main.pdf

Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 AM

Excellent

I called the PD for that section. The officer who answered was nice, at first he said he'd "recommend you look elsewhere".
But when I said, I don't need/cannot afford "fancy", I just want an area wherein I won't be burglarized or mugged, he THEN said, Oh, you'll be OK there.

I pressed him a tad and said, so it would be safe for an old broad alone? He said yes, that if it were unsafe he'd say so. I said "I wouldn't have to worry about being mugged/my garden gnomes being knocked over that type of thing?"

He said again, no, you'll be fine.

That made me feel good about the place. I emailed the realtor and am going to have an inspector go over it.

BUT if anyone who lives there can chime in I'd really appreciate it as well, because I wonder why he initially said "look elsewhere" if it is safe?

Maybe he just meant it is kind of rundown and not high class?
I am more than OK with that as I am poor (but a regular citizen) myself; I just don't want criminals for neighbors but other po folk around me is fine.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:27 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Excellent

I called the PD for that section. The officer who answered was nice, at first he said he'd "recommend you look elsewhere".
But when I said, I don't need/cannot afford "fancy", I just want an area wherein I won't be burglarized or mugged, he THEN said, Oh, you'll be OK there.

I pressed him a tad and said, so it would be safe for an old broad alone? He said yes, that if it were unsafe he'd say so. I said "I wouldn't have to worry about being mugged/my garden gnomes being knocked over that type of thing?"

He said again, no, you'll be fine.

That made me feel good about the place. I emailed the realtor and am going to have an inspector go over it.

BUT if anyone who lives there can chime in I'd really appreciate it as well, because I wonder why he initially said "look elsewhere" if it is safe?

Maybe he just meant it is kind of rundown and not high class?
I am more than OK with that as I am poor (but a regular citizen) myself; I just don't want criminals for neighbors but other po folk around me is fine.
The issue also is what it will be like in ten years, especially as you will be older.

There are web services where you can find crime statistics, even a police blog, for a particular neighborhood. You might have to pay for such a service. I've seen them, but I can't tell you about a particular service. City-data blocks links to many of them.

You're paying for an inspector before you've seen a property and looked at a neighborhood?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 AM

194 posts, read 191,320 times
If you look up the crime map of this area up in Trulia, I think you will find that it's safe. This house looks good from the pictures.

The only issue you might want to reconsider is that it's really small -- only one bedroom and 441 square feet. This property has been listed on the MLS for more than 200 days. If you want to sell it in the future, you may have a hard time selling it. I think 2 bedrooms and bigger would be easier to sell. They typically list for 2 - 3 thousands more than this house.

If money is a big issue, have you considered renting? You can probably rent this house for $600 or less. You won't have to worry about house maintenance, water/sewer charges, property taxes, mortgage, insurance, etc.

If you have your heart set on this house, you may also want to start off with a low-ball offer. You can justify the low offer price with the size of the house and the fact that it has been listed for over 6 months.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 AM

WR, Being far away, I feel I must pay an inspector yes prior to making any offer as I cannot go over it myself and his fee shall be cheaper than a trip up there.
Yep I've looked at crime stats. Calling the PD is even better I've found as you get firsthand. I've been doing this for places all around.

reioh: NO not concerned with resale, I shall live there until I kick over. I want TINY.
I am considering renting an apt up there if I can't find a house or condo I can afford.
But a house I will buy with cash is the cheapest way long run.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times
OveritAll...

I dig your plan. A single person does not need a ton of space.
1. Place to sleep
2. Place to make meals
3. Place to sit and read

What's left?

Transportation to downtown would be a huge factor for me if in your shoes.

Smaller: Less space to heat and cool and clean!

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2015, 08:19 AM

That's it exactly teacherdad!
Plus I have always always wanted a TINY space. I am a minimalist of the first order. I only ever had ANY stuff beyond books/CDs/DVDs because I had children I felt I needed to provide a typical middle class lifestyle for.

Now it's just me and I want to have my monastic existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: