Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times

Advertisements

What is your budget for rent (per month)?

If you're not familiar with driving in the snow you may want to live in a location where you can take public transportation on marginal weather days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
This might be of help.

Korean American Association of Greater Cleveland

The Cleveland Clinic might also have someone who could give you advice as to where to live. They have people who come from all over the world to work there. If you contact your department administrator, they could tell you if this were the case.

I also think Beachwood is a good choice.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Before choosing any school district, it would be great to talk to parents who are Asian transplants or even Asian Americans with children in the school district.

For various reasons, some school districts have more interaction and fewer cliques than other schools.

Shy kids in particular, especially if they don't engage in extracurricular activities where many friendships are forged, may have trouble fitting in at any American high school, let alone one characterized by many social schisms.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 PM

8 posts, read 9,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
What is your budget for rent (per month)?

If you're not familiar with driving in the snow you may want to live in a location where you can take public transportation on marginal weather days.

My budget for rent is about 1500-1700.
Is the snow a big deal to commute in winter time in Cleveland?

I think the first thing to be determined is to choose the school district (elementary and middle school) for my two girls (8 and 14 years old). After that, the proper residential area nearby their schools should be picked.

If I live in Beachwood, there could be candidates such as Fairmount or Hilltop elementary school and Beachwood middle school for my first daughter (14) and second daughter (8), respectively, although I am not sure which school is able to serve the area of my apartment.

How are these schools? Any information? from the parents whose children are attending those schools.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Before choosing any school district, it would be great to talk to parents who are Asian transplants or even Asian Americans with children in the school district.

For various reasons, some school districts have more interaction and fewer cliques than other schools.

Shy kids in particular, especially if they don't engage in extracurricular activities where many friendships are forged, may have trouble fitting in at any American high school, let alone one characterized by many social schisms.

Thank you for your advice.
I am a little bit worried about those things like what you said, and that's because I am giving it a lot of thought.

Most of my friends live there have little kids under grade 3, so they really don't know about the middle school thing. May be I can ask to the Korea American Association.

Especially, my first daughter is just reaching puberty and doesn't like moving to the US, though.
But, I hope that she can handle this situation.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:16 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
Beachwood only has 1 school for each grade level so you don't need to try to get into a "good" school in the district. All the Beachwood schools are good. I'd think you could find something in that budget without too much problem price-wise. The main issue might be availability. There aren't a lot of house rentals AFAIK - not sure about apartments.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVERLAND View Post
Thank you for your advice.
I am a little bit worried about those things like what you said, and that's because I am giving it a lot of thought.

Most of my friends live there have little kids under grade 3, so they really don't know about the middle school thing. May be I can ask to the Korea American Association.

Especially, my first daughter is just reaching puberty and doesn't like moving to the US, though.
But, I hope that she can handle this situation.
It should be a great experience for both of your daughters. Perhaps the most important suggestion I could give your oldest daughter is to treat it as an adventure, much like Marco Polo exploring China. Keep a detailed journal. Smile a lot and make a determined effort to engage with other students. She'll have to work consciously at overcoming her shyness, which will be excellent for her in the long run.

The hardest thing for high school-aged kids to comprehend is that everybody else is as vulnerable as they are and all are trying to find their way into adulthood. Perhaps unfortunately, many American teens put a heavier emphasis on having fun than preparing for their futures in high school. This is much less pronounced in the better high schools.

Yet high schools can be very lonely. One of the worst experiences for a new kid is lunch hour, especially if there is a language barrier. At any high school that you select, I would consider asking a counselor for help in finding perhaps a willing social mentor for your daughter who has the same lunch period break. A writing tutor likely would be invaluable, perhaps you could hire an older student at the same high school with excellent writing skills who likely would become another mentor.

Your daughters should be working intensively on their English skills now. Any improvement will make a big difference.

One thing that should comfort you is that American high schoolers love things that are different, and typically greatly enjoy foreign exchange students. I had a good friend who was a foreign exchange student from a Latin American country. He was so popular that as his language skills rapidly improved, his "brother" host, also a friend of mine, in the same high school class became somewhat jealous and annoyed. Your daughter won't have that problem!

I hope you report back here periodically and let us know how it worked out and any future suggestions for transplants.

As for Cleveland winters, they now vary substantially from season to season, but generally are shorter due to global warming. In recent years, there are perhaps three or four heavy snowfalls each year. With the exception of last November, large snowfalls, even any snowfall, haven't occurred before Christmas Day, Dec. 25.

Check out this website. Click on C for Centigrade. In the right margin, click on months for individual months, then days for individual days. Coming from South Korea, I doubt that you'll have any problem with Cleveland winters, at least regarding the cold weather. Road snow and ice treatment capabilities are very robust in most of the region.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Read through the many threads and posts in this forum for the past year. You'll be able to find Cleveland weather haters, who IMO often exaggerate conditions greatly, but we would appreciate your more objective opinion once you've been here a while. Here's one popular thread with the pros and cons (often ridiculous IMO) of Cleveland weather.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...-you-down.html

During bad storms, conditions on I-271 (a concern if you consider Solon) can be bad and that interstate can actually be closed for several hours or perhaps half a day. That might happen once or twice a year. Living near the Clinic during the winter may offer some advantages in that regard.

This coming winter due to a major El Nino is forecast to be relatively warm and dry.

See post 44 in this thread. IMO, definitely make an effort, unlike many Clevelanders, to embrace and enjoy the winter. You'll likely learn to love it and the winter will go much faster. I wouldn't be surprised if many high schools have ski clubs that go to Brandywine or Alpine Valley for downhill skiing lessons. Many Metroparks offer cross country skiing lessons. Adding skills is a great way to spend a foreign sojourn.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ve-ohio-5.html

BTW, in posts 52 and 53 we were joking about coywolves. I've never heard of anybody in northeast Ohio (the "Western Reserve") being attacked by coyotes, let alone the new hybrid coywolves, which may not be in northeastern Ohio...yet. Most people enjoy seeing a coyote once every year or two, and the occasional wandering black bear (I've never heard of black bear attacks on humans in northeast Ohio, largely because, unlike dumb tourists at Yellowstone, we're afraid of them and therefore respect them) is a great sensation, followed on TV stations. Deer are very common and the biggest wildlife threat as they have a tendency to dart in front of cars. Avoid interaction, even feeding, squirrels and racoons, despite their cuteness. Domestic dog attacks are definitely the most pronounced animal attack danger in northeast Ohio.

Definitely check out winter swimming pool availability in winter, and in the summer. Such amenities can vary greatly from city to city, but often a very good local "Y" fills the gap. Several cities have good public ice rinks, but most allow use by those in other communities for a higher fee. Developing ice skating skills is another great way to spend a winter.

All things considered, including rental availability, locations in the Mayfield School District may not be a bad alternative to Beachwood.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-14-2015 at 08:33 AM..

Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Beachwood only has 1 school for each grade level so you don't need to try to get into a "good" school in the district. All the Beachwood schools are good. I'd think you could find something in that budget without too much problem price-wise. The main issue might be availability. There aren't a lot of house rentals AFAIK - not sure about apartments.

Thanks.
I recognized what you mean.
Yes, there are 4 schools (public) for each grade in Beachwood school district.
so my daughters might go to school without putting a lot of effort into choosing the best(?) school.
As you mentioned, there are just few apartment available in Beachwood school district.

I got a reply from the one of managers that I contacted.
The following is the letter from him..

---------------------------------------------------------------
Hello.
I have 2BR 2BTH (1,100 sqft) for $1,645 per month
Application fee $ 50 per each adult over 21
Your security deposit will be full price of unit ($1,645)
And last month rent for first year contract (LMR $1,645)
And I will pro rate your month of October per each day.
Let me know what you think?
If you still have ant more questions free to call me
Best,

but, I can't understand some parts of his comments.
What dose "last month rent for first year contract (LMR $1,645)" mean?
If I choose this apt, do I should pay application fee ($100 for myself and my wife), deposit ($1,645), and LMR ($1,645) at the same time as the contract.
Why dose the manager refer LMR?
Also, I think deposit is too expensive although I am a foreigner without credit there.
Is this common situation as finding an apt in USA?

I understand the means of "I will pro rate your month of October per each day" because I said I'm moving to the USA in October (1st weelk).

Old 08-15-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVERLAND View Post
Thanks.
I recognized what you mean.
Yes, there are 4 schools (public) for each grade in Beachwood school district.
so my daughters might go to school without putting a lot of effort into choosing the best(?) school.
As you mentioned, there are just few apartment available in Beachwood school district.

I got a reply from the one of managers that I contacted.
The following is the letter from him..

Hello.
I have 2BR 2BTH (1,100 sqft) for $1,645 per month
Application fee $ 50 per each adult over 21
Your security deposit will be full price of unit ($1,645)
And last month rent for first year contract (LMR $1,645)
And I will pro rate your month of October per each day.
Let me know what you think?
If you still have ant more questions free to call me
Best,

but, I can't understand some parts of his comments.
What dose "last month rent for first year contract (LMR $1,645)" mean?
If I choose this apt, do I should pay application fee ($100 for myself and my wife), deposit ($1,645), and LMR ($1,645) at the same time as the contract.
Why dose the manager refer LMR?
Also, I think deposit is too expensive although I am a foreigner without credit there.
Is this common situation as finding an apt in USA?

I understand the means of "I will pro rate your month of October per each day" because I said I'm moving to the USA in October (1st weelk).
I don't think one month's security deposit is unusual, especially at better properties. I'm not certain why last month's rent (LMR) was specifically mentioned, except to emphasize that you will have to pay the last month's rent and will only receive the security deposit refunded upon vacating the unit. Security deposits always are bothersome, because a property manager can argue that you damaged the property in some fashion. Somebody leaving the country especially is vulnerable to an unethical property manager. Make certain that you understand whether or not there will be any automatic charges applied against the security deposit, such as a repainting charge. Understand how and when the security deposit will be refunded. E.g., will the property manager write a check immediately when the unit is vacated?

What I would recommend is that you e-mail the property manager and ask your questions specifically. That way you would have the answers in writing in the manager's reply.

If you're going to rent this property without seeing it, do you have a friend that could check it out for you, including the desirability of the location and the unit?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 AM

My wife said that her friend who lives at Stow in OH recommeded 'Strongsville' is a good place for living.
She lived Strongsville for 8 years before moving into Stow.
She said that Strongsville school district has not only good environment but also lower rent than Beachwood.
I can see that the commute is much far to Clinic than from Beachwood.

Good schools and low rent. These are good for me, Right? ^^
Longer commute is...my portion.

Any suggestions?
Beachwood or Stronsville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: