Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:06 AM

15 posts, read 19,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Once the business is open be sure to post back so that everyone can check it out. And just a reminder that wherever you decide, it's OK to not have it in the most "hip" part of town that all the young professionals are flocking to like sheep no matter how fiscally irresponsible they are. Rent will be cheaper in a non "hip" area and the patrons will most likely be better, repeat customers and less full of themselves as opposed to patrons in a "hip" area that are only concerned with whatever the next best thing is. You need to be careful about opening up an establishment in a "hip" area. These individuals think spending double in rent in a "hip location" is a smart thing to do when they can instead commute there in less than 15 minutes and pay half that rent amount. (all while being in a safer place that is policed much better) They won't have any money left to be eating out! These young professionals on their small starting college salary think they are on top of the world, and they jump right into a state of fiscal irresponsibility because last time I checked, there isn't a class in college called Credit Card 101.
Hey MaxModder, thanks! May I'll have a "Faive dollah (insert Asian accent)" discount for members of the forum.
Hahha, do you have any recommendations on the "not-so-hip" areas that are safe to live in and/or to start up a restaurant in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 12:17 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyFIONA View Post
Hey MaxModder, thanks! May I'll have a "Faive dollah (insert Asian accent)" discount for members of the forum.
Hahha, do you have any recommendations on the "not-so-hip" areas that are safe to live in and/or to start up a restaurant in?
Discount or not, I'll be there lol! I love authentic food of any type. There are several places, but recommendation is going to be dependent on your housing budget and other factors. I'm thinking you would want the business and your home residence to be in the same city or very close, correct? Every city has its good and bad things.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:32 AM

15 posts, read 19,189 times
That's good to hear!

Well, I'm looking at getting a townhome with a minimum of 2 bedrooms, >1.5 bathrooms, and (hopefully) a basement at approximately $80,000.

Yes definitely, short commute time definitely ranks high on my list! Townhomes in Broadview Heights is definitely within my budget, but I'm not very sure whether it'll be a good place to set up an Asian restaurant.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:13 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,054 times
Quote:
That's good to hear!

Well, I'm looking at getting a townhome with a minimum of 2 bedrooms, >1.5 bathrooms, and (hopefully) a basement at approximately $80,000.

Yes definitely, short commute time definitely ranks high on my list! Townhomes in Broadview Heights is definitely within my budget, but I'm not very sure whether it'll be a good place to set up an Asian restaurant.
What I suggest doing is speaking with the owners of other authentic restaurants in the area and see what they say about how their business is doing. Also check to see at various times how crowded they are.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:20 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
I'll be there too! I can't wait! Hope you will have some meat free options.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:33 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Go to sites such as yelp.com and tripadvisor.com where you can search for restaurants for any city, including rankings. Visit Cleveland and check out restaurant reviews. "Fusion" concepts are very popular here, and often seem to appeal to the market more than traditional ethnic cuisines, and Cleveland restaurateurs are excellent businessmen and deliver high quality products at prices very reasonable compared to other cities, and aggressively develop concepts to service any niche or even to create a new one.

Note here how gaucamole is a featured ingredient at one new, and popular fusion Asian restaurant. Note also how Clevelanders, especially the many foodies, take the restaurant scene very seriously.

http://www.cleveland.com/dining/inde..._pop_cult.html

Ninja City Kitchen & Bar

Cleveland: Dining Overview - TripAdvisor

Cleveland: Tips for Visiting Cleveland - TripAdvisor

Michael Symon, a national food celebrity, is Cleveland's food ambassador. One of the most anticipated restaurant launches in Cleveland now is his "Mabel's BBQ," conceived to offer a Cleveland BBQ. The point is that you won't only be competing in the Asian food market, but with all of the other diverse cuisines offered in Cleveland compared to many other markets in the U.S.

My impression is that the market for Asian restaurants and Italian restaurants is well supplied in most of Greater Cleveland and that starting a new restaurant is one of the most difficult business propositions imaginable.

Most cities have economic development offices. Perhaps call Broadview Heights city hall and ask if someone can give you suggestions and answer your questions.

If you've never run a business in the U.S., let alone Ohio, consider attending new business seminars, such as those perhaps offered by SCORE.

https://cleveland.score.org/

Street locations can be very crucial for restaurants, especially for start-ups.

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 09-20-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland