Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:13 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,161 times

Advertisements

Made a little map of the areas that I would personally say are pretty ghetto... the boundaries may be a little off in some areas, but for the most part I'd say this is pretty accurate. You can see that the east side's bad area is MUCH larger than the west side.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...BE&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 03:29 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Made a little map of the areas that I would personally say are pretty ghetto... the boundaries may be a little off in some areas, but for the most part I'd say this is pretty accurate. You can see that the east side's bad area is MUCH larger than the west side.

Can't see your map as it requires logging into Google.

Viewers should keep in mind that it's one person's opinion.

Clevelander216, did you include any suburbs in your list, or any west side neighborhoods?

Last edited by WRnative; 10-10-2015 at 04:48 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Well yea of course there are a few nice neighborhoods on the east side. I said the MAJORITY of the east side is horrible. I never said that ALL of the east side is horrible...
I don't even think a majority of the east side is horrible if the east side suburbs are included. The wealthiest communities in Greater Cleveland are on the east side.

Also, University Circle is spilling out into adjacent neighborhoods, such as Central and Hough, and the "Greater University Circle Area" is integral to Cleveland's future.

<<From a racial perspective, the report highlights three main patterns of migration for individuals in Cleveland. First, a significant number of those moving into the inner city and high-density neighborhoods tend to be white or Asian American. The highest white growth regions are situated on the east side of Cleveland, including the University Circle, Central and Hough neighborhoods, whereas the Asian migrants also cluster around University Circle, Hough and Shaker Square. This migration is in its emerging stages.>>

Cleveland's millennial brain gain fuels its national resurgence

Glenville:

Cleveland Museum of Natural History exhibit designer Tom Hennes buys a home base in Cleveland (photos) | cleveland.com

I remember when Morningside Heights in NYC was a very challenged area and Columbia Univ. was almost fortress-like.

Fifty years ago, German Village in Columbus was nothing like it is today. I remember when Ohio City was a very tenuous gentrification area.

Consider the transformation of Ohio City and Tremont.

My point is that University Circle/Little Italy and adjacent neighborhoods in Cleveland Heights, such as Coventry Village and Cedar Fairmount are the source of a massive gentrification wave inevitably likely to spill into East Cleveland, Glenville, Hough, etc., in coming decades. I think this explains why Cleveland seriously is considering annexing East Cleveland.

City of Cleveland Heights, OH : Coventry Village

City of Cleveland Heights, OH : Cedar Fairmount

With the exceptional University Circle attractions and knowledge-based economy as a magnet, and with comparatively robust transit connections to downtown, just a couple decades from now, the Greater University Circle area of Cleveland may greatly eclipse the west side gentrification areas. Read the case study here:

https://www.clevelandfoundation.org/...ersity-circle/

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...rtment_hi.html

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...news_index.ssf

Bruce Katz, an urban development expert at the Brookings Institution, has noted that University Circle is an "innovation district," and perhaps one of the first in the world.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...-of-innovation

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20131...silicon-cities

University Circle's appeal extends beyond its economy, as perhaps demonstrated through the eyes of a film lover. Ignoring even Severance Hall, the galleries and other programs of the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Botanical Garden, etc., if someone seriously enjoys film, why would they want to live anywhere else in northeast Ohio, considering the combined heft of the Cleveland Museum of Art's film series and the Cinematheque at the Cleveland Institute of Art?

http://www.clevelandart.org/events/f...9s-film-series

http://www.cia.edu/cinematheque/

Using the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid, very easy transit connections exist to PlayhouseSquare, Progressive Field, and East 4th St. The Red Line rail rapid offers a direct connection from the Little Italy/University Circle station to the West 25th station, across the street from the West Side Market and within a couple block of the core of the Market District. I wonder if the OP has yet experienced the joys of PlayhouseSquare?

Uptown already has greatly changed the character of University Circle. Happy Dog at Euclid Tavern, Ninja City, Crop Kitchen, etc. are very fun places.

Imagine the impact of the new Cleveland Clinic/Case Western medical education campus, located between Euclid and Chester, East 93rd and 100th Streets, with a dental clinic actually in Hough.

http://www.cleveland.com/architectur..._break_gr.html

There's little reason, except lodging costs or commuting convenience, to avoid today the University Circle core areas of UC itself, Little Italy and the adjacent areas in Cleveland Heights, especially for someone who would enjoy the attractions of UC itself.

I hope the OP shares her housing research and eventual experience with us.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-10-2015 at 05:07 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Can't see your map as it requires logging into Google.

Viewers should keep in mind that it's one person's opinion.

Clevelander216, did you include any suburbs in your list, or any west side neighborhoods?
Ah darn.... I tried. But the only suburb included in the map was East Cleveland and yes I did do the west side neighborhoods as well. Wish there were a way I can share the map without having people log into google.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I don't even think a majority of the east side is horrible if the east side suburbs are included. The wealthiest communities in Greater Cleveland are on the east side.

Also, University Circle is spilling out into adjacent neighborhoods, such as Central and Hough, and the "Greater University Circle Area" is integral to Cleveland's future.

<<From a racial perspective, the report highlights three main patterns of migration for individuals in Cleveland. First, a significant number of those moving into the inner city and high-density neighborhoods tend to be white or Asian American. The highest white growth regions are situated on the east side of Cleveland, including the University Circle, Central and Hough neighborhoods, whereas the Asian migrants also cluster around University Circle, Hough and Shaker Square. This migration is in its emerging stages.>>

Cleveland's millennial brain gain fuels its national resurgence

Glenville:

Cleveland Museum of Natural History exhibit designer Tom Hennes buys a home base in Cleveland (photos) | cleveland.com

I remember when Morningside Heights in NYC was a very challenged area and Columbia Univ. was almost fortress-like.

Fifty years ago, German Village in Columbus was nothing like it is today. I remember when Ohio City was a very tenuous gentrification area.

Consider the transformation of Ohio City and Tremont.

My point is that University Circle/Little Italy and adjacent neighborhoods in Cleveland Heights, such as Coventry Village and Cedar Fairmount are the source of a massive gentrification wave inevitably likely to spill into East Cleveland, Glenville, Hough, etc., in coming decades. I think this explains why Cleveland seriously is considering annexing East Cleveland.

City of Cleveland Heights, OH : Coventry Village

City of Cleveland Heights, OH : Cedar Fairmount

With the exceptional University Circle attractions and knowledge-based economy as a magnet, and with comparatively robust transit connections to downtown, just a couple decades from now, the Greater University Circle area of Cleveland may greatly eclipse the west side gentrification areas. Read the case study here:

https://www.clevelandfoundation.org/...ersity-circle/

First look: One University Circle high-rise apartments to start rising in January (photos) | cleveland.com

University Circle proposal could add 700-plus apartments near Chester and East 107th (photos) | cleveland.com

Bruce Katz, an urban development expert at the Brookings Institution, has noted that University Circle is an "innovation district," and perhaps one of the first in the world.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...-of-innovation

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20131...silicon-cities

University Circle's appeal extends beyond its economy, as perhaps demonstrated through the eyes of a film lover. Ignoring even Severance Hall, the galleries and other programs of the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Botanical Garden, etc., if someone seriously enjoys film, why would they want to live anywhere else in northeast Ohio, considering the combined heft of the Cleveland Museum of Art's film series and the Cinematheque at the Cleveland Institute of Art?

History of the Museum

Cinematheque | Cleveland Institute of Art College of Art | 800.223.4700

Using the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid, very easy transit connections exist to PlayhouseSquare, Progressive Field, and East 4th St. The Red Line rail rapid offers a direct connection from the Little Italy/University Circle station to the West 25th station, across the street from the West Side Market and within a couple block of the core of the Market District. I wonder if the OP has yet experienced the joys of PlayhouseSquare?

Uptown already has greatly changed the character of University Circle. Happy Dog at Euclid Tavern, Ninja City, Crop Kitchen, etc. are very fun places.

Imagine the impact of the new Cleveland Clinic/Case Western medical education campus, located between Euclid and Chester, East 93rd and 100th Streets, with a dental clinic actually in Hough.

Cleveland Clinic, CWRU break ground on $515M Health Education Campus including dental clinic in Hough | cleveland.com

There's little reason, except lodging costs or commuting convenience, to avoid today the University Circle core areas of UC itself, Little Italy and the adjacent areas in Cleveland Heights, especially for someone who would enjoy the attractions of UC itself.

I hope the OP shares her housing research and eventual experience with us.
Great write up and I couldn't agree more! I am really pulling for the areas around UC to turn around and become "happening" neighborhoods, but the fact is, those neighborhoods right now have significant crime, poverty, and blight issues that are very difficult to address. I honestly couldn't even tell ya where to start with addressing those issues as well. If those areas were to become gentrified, you would basically just be pushing the crime/poverty out of there and into another area.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Great write up and I couldn't agree more! I am really pulling for the areas around UC to turn around and become "happening" neighborhoods, but the fact is, those neighborhoods right now have significant crime, poverty, and blight issues that are very difficult to address. I honestly couldn't even tell ya where to start with addressing those issues as well. If those areas were to become gentrified, you would basically just be pushing the crime/poverty out of there and into another area.
The Greater UC area already extends into the Glenville and Hough neighborhoods of Cleveland, as well as into East Cleveland, and the issues that you describe are not issues in the areas of Cleveland Heights bordering UC.

UC institutions such as the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, as service industries, employ large numbers of residents in surrounding neighborhoods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Circle

The Clinic clearly is expanding into Hough.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-10-2015 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Ah darn.... I tried. But the only suburb included in the map was East Cleveland and yes I did do the west side neighborhoods as well. Wish there were a way I can share the map without having people log into google.
Ok I was able to change the settings so that anybody can view the map now. No sign in required.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I don't know many of those areas well, but you have the entire Cleveland Clinic in the ghetto. Just west of the Clinic, between Euclid Ave. and Chester Ave., there are many blocks of tax-abated, new townhouses. The eastern-most property owned by the Clinic is the old Cleveland Playhouse complex at East 86th St. between Euclid Ave. and Carnegie Ave.

http://www.highrises.com/cleveland/woodhaven-townhomes/

http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/ind...levelan_1.html

Sterle's is east of East 55th St. Is the St. Clair-Superior neighborhood entirely ghetto east of East 55th St.?

The area north of Saranac is largely industrial (e.g., CSX intermodal) and not ghetto.

Driving around East Blvd. north of University Circle (adjacent to the Cultural Gardens), I'm also not certain that is a ghetto area. Ditto with other streets north of Wade Park Ave., although I haven't explored them. The houses on the north side of Wade Ave. are not ghetto-level cheap. In fact the passive model home featured at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History was relocated to the north side of Wade Ave. I imagine prices of homes there have gone up since 2012, when, according to the following article, most homes in the area were priced below $100,000. Many gentrifying areas of Cleveland have seen very large percentage price increases in the last several years.

Museum-quality passive house sells in Cleveland | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Southern Glenville (north of Wade Ave.) certainly is a prime area for gentrification in coming years.

I also wonder about the area between Ansel and East 105th St. just north of Chester.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-10-2015 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I don't know many of those areas well, but you have the entire Cleveland Clinic in the ghetto. Just west of the Clinic, between Euclid Ave. and Chester Ave., there are many blocks of tax-abated, new townhouses.

Sterle's is east of East 55th St.

Driving around East Blvd. north of University Circle (adjacent to the Cultural Gardens), I'm also not certain that is a ghetto area. Ditto with other streets north of Wade Park Ave., although I haven't explored them. The houses on the north side of Wade Ave. are not ghetto-level cheap. In fact the passive model home featured at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History was relocated to the north side of Wade Ave. I imagine prices of homes there have gone up since 2012, when, according to the following article, most homes in the area were priced below $100,000. Many gentrifying areas of Cleveland have seen very large percentage price increases in the last several years.

Museum-quality passive house sells in Cleveland | MNN - Mother Nature Network

I also wonder about the area between Ansel and East 105th St. just north of Chester.
Ehhh I'm pretty sure anything north of Wade Park is still pretty rough. Those few streets between Wade Park and Ashbury are ok I suppose. Sure it's not as bad as the rest of Glenville, but I wouldn't call it a nice neighborhood at all.

Edit: There was JUST a murder on Ashbury a few weeks ago. That should tell you something about that area north of Wade Park.

Last edited by Clevelander216; 10-10-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
The area north of Saranac is largely industrial (e.g., CSX intermodal) and not ghetto.
Now you're nitpicking. I said in my previous post that some of the boundaries may be off a little. Ok, I shouldn't have included a small portion of railroad tracks.... I'm sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland