Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:53 AM

70 posts, read 115,015 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I recently posted asking about good areas to move to for a 24-yr-old female professional. Similarly, I'd like to know what areas you all recommend avoiding for safety reasons. Some areas that have been recommended to me are Cleveland Heights, Coventry, and Willoughby, so those are the area's where I'll be starting my search. I'm doing some research online, but, in your opinion, are these generally safe areas?

Thanks!

Last edited by nrheasley; 10-08-2015 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Narrowing the question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrheasley View Post
Hello everyone! I recently posted asking about good areas to move to for a 24-yr-old female professional. Similarly, I'd like to know what areas you all recommend avoiding. What are the "bad" areas of Cleveland?

Thanks!
What's the point of this question? Are you considering some areas of which you're uncertain? Why not just ask about them?

There are some posters on this forum who ridiculously consider Beachwood Mall a bad area. My point is that "bad area" is a very subjective term in many cases.

If considering a neighborhood within the city of Cleveland, your best course of action is to do a search for the neighborhood in conjunction with crimes such as assault, burglary, etc., as crime statistics for individual Cleveland neighborhoods are difficult to find.

For suburbs, city-data offers crime statistics. Keep in mind that suburbs with large retail centers, such as Beachwood, can have elevated levels of property crimes, such as theft.

You also can check out income statistics for individual cities.

Perhaps the best indication of troubled areas are home prices and relative rents, but not always.

East Cleveland likely is the most troubled Cleveland suburb.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
What's the point of this question? Are you considering some areas of which you're uncertain? Why not just ask about them?

There are some posters on this forum who ridiculously consider Beachwood Mall a bad area. My point is that "bad area" is a very subjective term in many cases.

If considering a neighborhood within the city of Cleveland, your best course of action is to do a search for the neighborhood in conjunction with crimes such as assault, burglary, etc., as crime statistics for individual Cleveland neighborhoods are difficult to find.

For suburbs, city-data offers crime statistics. Keep in mind that suburbs with large retail centers, such as Beachwood, can have elevated levels of property crimes, such as theft.

You also can check out income statistics for individual cities.

Perhaps the best indication of troubled areas are home prices and relative rents, but not always.

East Cleveland likely is the most troubled Cleveland suburb.

The point is I am moving to Cleveland and would like to know which areas to avoid. I didn't know city-data offered crime statistics on suburbs--that will be helpful. Thank you!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! I recently posted asking about good areas to move to for a 24-yr-old female professional. Similarly, I'd like to know what areas you all recommend avoiding. What are the "bad" areas of Cleveland?

Thanks!
There are a lot of bad areas, and a lot of good areas. I don't have time to list all of either. If you could narrow down your question somewhat, it would be helpful.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
The point is I am moving to Cleveland and would like to know which areas to avoid. I didn't know city-data offered crime statistics on suburbs--that will be helpful. Thank you!
My point is that it would be better if you asked specifically about areas that you actually are considering, and then expect conflicting opinions on some places, such as perhaps Tremont and Ohio City.

The question is what do you consider a "bad area." That is a subjective term. While most persons can agree on the margins, there can be considerable differences of opinion about other areas.

E.g., Beachwood is one of the most prosperous communities in Greater Cleveland. Yet at least one poster has argued that Beachwood Mall is doomed and is a dangerous place. That's hardly my belief or experience.

Wikipedia articles on individual suburbs also are worth reading.

Wikipedia also has articles on some Cleveland neighborhoods. Yet certain districts within individual neighborhoods, such as the Market District in Ohio City, can be much different than other areas of the same neighborhood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_City,_Cleveland

The Warehouse District and University Circle areas of Cleveland are much different than Hough, but I doubt you will be considering Hough.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 AM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Honestly , the better question is areas to look into. People in your demographic tend to gravitate to downtown, Ohio city, tremont, little Italy, Coventry, and Lakewood. There are other areas that are fine, but are not as populated with a young professional crowd, like asia town, kamms corner, larchmere, university heights.

If you really want the areas to avoid though: Glenville, central, kinsman, south collinwood, east Cleveland, fairfax, Hough. The west side I do t know as well. But honestly there is very little that anyone would be attracted to in those areas, I just think there is very little chance you'd move to a high crime area mistakenly.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 AM

I made some edits to my original question above. Thanks!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:59 AM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Cleveland heights in general is safe, so is Coventry, but there are some areas that are less desirable with higher property crime.

My friends live in Cleveland heights, at fairmount and idle wood in a lovely home for next to nothing. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Neighborhood. Walking distance to the on the rise bakery and Gigi's and cedar lee. I'd look into somewhere around there too. Not that anything g is wrong with Coventry, but you can live close enough to the heights hot spots while also cutting out practically all safety concerns. The side streets off fairmount from that area around idle wood all the way down to fairmount t circle are pretty ideal in my opinion.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Honestly , the better question is areas to look into. People in your demographic tend to gravitate to downtown, Ohio city, tremont, little Italy, Coventry, and Lakewood. There are other areas that are fine, but are not as populated with a young professional crowd, like asia town, kamms corner, larchmere, university heights.

If you really want the areas to avoid though: Glenville, central, kinsman, south collinwood, east Cleveland, fairfax, Hough. The west side I do t know as well. But honestly there is very little that anyone would be attracted to in those areas, I just think there is very little chance you'd move to a high crime area mistakenly.

This is really helpful to know. Thank you!

Old 10-08-2015, 09:01 AM

I consider Willoughby safe, and safety is never an issue in my mind when I visit there any time of the day.

However, I hate to tell anybody that any area is perfectly safe, especially with criminals seeking targets and victims far from their residential areas these days. Most of us aren't intimately familiar of the safety profiles in communities in which they don't live or have day-to-day knowledge.

Safety also is not a personal concern when I visit Coventry Village either.

You likely could inform yourself greatly just by visiting the areas of interest at different times of the day.

Check out fitness centers in the evening to see if the clientele meets your "young professional" demographic profile. E.g., the Bally Total Fitness Center in the late evening in Willoughby might be an informative visit. Ask about the customer ages, etc., then visit downtown Willoughby.

Don't be afraid to call local police departments and inquire about safety concerns. If nothing else, this will tell you how proactive the police are in any community.

Your personal research and exploration likely would be much more valuable than much of what you will read here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland