Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:26 PM

224 posts, read 375,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Just the fact that you are in this thread is bizarre since Cincinnatians don't give a 2nd thought about Cleveland. Someone with the types of contribution you make to the Cleveland threads sure has a lot of opinions about Cleveland, especially the negative stuff.
I have lived in the Cincinnati area for most of my adult life. When I first arrived (the 1980s) there was a generally negative view of Cleveland here and people would make jokes. But even then there were Cleveland admirers, and a lot of Browns fans.

It has been a long time since I have heard a Cincinnatian disparage Cleveland and nowadays, especially among younger folks, it is regarded quite positively. I don't think it is accurate to say that Cincinnatians do not give a second thought to Cleveland, but rather it would be fair to say that a lot of people here are competitive, and see cities like Columbus and Cleveland as rivals, which leads to them thinking about these cities rather a lot.

To me, as an non-native, it seems like Cincinnati and Cleveland have more in common than they have differences. Cincinnati too has been a national punchline on topics ranging from police shootings and race riots to Robert Mapplethorpe to Marge Schott. And most of the country regards anything between the coasts except for Chicago (including the entire State of Ohio) as flyover territory. I would think that might move the cities of Ohio toward regarding one another more as allies, over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 02:15 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,912,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
I have lived in the Cincinnati area for most of my adult life. When I first arrived (the 1980s) there was a generally negative view of Cleveland here and people would make jokes. But even then there were Cleveland admirers, and a lot of Browns fans.

It has been a long time since I have heard a Cincinnatian disparage Cleveland and nowadays, especially among younger folks, it is regarded quite positively. I don't think it is accurate to say that Cincinnatians do not give a second thought to Cleveland, but rather it would be fair to say that a lot of people here are competitive, and see cities like Columbus and Cleveland as rivals, which leads to them thinking about these cities rather a lot.

To me, as an non-native, it seems like Cincinnati and Cleveland have more in common than they have differences. Cincinnati too has been a national punchline on topics ranging from police shootings and race riots to Robert Mapplethorpe to Marge Schott. And most of the country regards anything between the coasts except for Chicago (including the entire State of Ohio) as flyover territory. I would think that might move the cities of Ohio toward regarding one another more as allies, over time.
To be clear, I didn't state that Cincinnati doesn't give Cleveland a 2nd thought; maxmodder did.

Actually, and this is not a bad thing either way, Cincinnati and Cleveland are two different cities.

As far as national punchlines, please do not compare the 50 years+ drubbing Cleveland has had to deal with; a whole class of jokes collectively known as ''Cleveland jokes'' abounded, with police shootings, race riots or Marge Schott. The one that did stick though was the Mapplethorpe issue.

Cleveland never had Cincinnati on its radar for competiveness. Cleveland competed with its Great Lake industrial rivals, not Cincinnati. As you know, Cinci was thee city on the river until the canals and railroads moved the immigrant growth north to the Great Lakes region. Therein lies some of the Cincinnati rivalry with Cleveland. I wouldn't even call the Browns-Bengals a great rivalry; Cleveland's is Pittsburgh.

Before I lived in Cinci, only heard that Cinci was a nice town; didn't know Cinci had issues with Cleveland until I lived there but then again, Cinci is no exception since I heard it all over the country - the Cleveland jokes again.

Good to know the younger folks regard it positively.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:29 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,560,394 times
Lots of rose-colored glasses here.

From my experiences, Cleveland still carries a fairly bad stigma. When I'm talking to a coworker or stranger and they ask where I'm from, I almost always get a negative reaction. Sometimes the response is polite embarrassment, other times its outright mean or disheartening i.e. insulting Lebron or the Browns, bringing up Castro, calling Cleveland "the mistake on the lake," joking about the weather and there being nothing to do, congratulating me that I got out, etc.

Now I'm speaking in generalities of course, and everyone has different experiences.

And I don't need a regurgitation of why Cleveland doesn't deserve this reputation - yes, I'm well-versed with its art and restaurant scene, downtown and neighborhood developments, etc - I'm just responding to the OP's question.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post

From my experiences, Cleveland still carries a fairly bad stigma. When I'm talking to a coworker or stranger and they ask where I'm from, I almost always get a negative reaction. Sometimes the response is polite embarrassment, other times its outright mean or disheartening i.e. insulting Lebron or the Browns, bringing up Castro, calling Cleveland "the mistake on the lake," joking about the weather and there being nothing to do, congratulating me that I got out, etc.

Now I'm speaking in generalities of course, and everyone has different experiences.

And I don't need a regurgitation of why Cleveland doesn't deserve this reputation - yes, I'm well-versed with its art and restaurant scene, downtown and neighborhood developments, etc - I'm just responding to the OP's question.
Thank you. I hated telling anyone I was from Cleveland because of the reactions you stated. Mean put-downs were common. You forgot the river fire from 1969, now over 46 years ago. I did call out a Dallas guy on the JFK assassination when he made the pathetic and played-out river fire comment. They don't like hearing about that at all. I mean both events (JFK and the river fire) took place in the long ago '60s.

I will say this, haven't heard many negative comments in Philly; could be because Philly doesn't have a great rep but that is changing as well as Cleveland's. Cleveland less so.

But yes, Cleveland still carries a fairly bad stigma.

Last edited by Kamms; 10-24-2015 at 03:44 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 03:47 PM

Not only does Cleveland have a bad stigma, there is a bizarre angst about the city from people whether they've been to Cleveland or not. Cleveland get no slack; it's the city America loves to dump on make fun of.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:08 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,420,486 times
Quote:

Which city are you currently living in and how long you've been living there? Also, did they come with the LeBron insults while he was in Miami or after he announced he was coming back to CLE? Have the people that put Cleveland down ever been to Cleveland, or do they go by the jokes or bad press? Because I'm very sure you can pick on negatives of that city. 'Cause from what you post it sounds like they only hear the jokes and stereotypes Plus, if somebody judges you based on which city you're from is pretty ignorant and close-minded. Be around people who's gonna accept you for you, no matter where you're from. Because there's cool people and a-holes in every city. If you're proud to be from Cleveland, be proud; f*** what they think about it. Never apologize for who you are and where you came from.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Not only does Cleveland have a bad stigma, there is a bizarre angst about the city from people whether they've been to Cleveland or not. Cleveland get no slack; it's the city America loves to dump on make fun of.

What things have people said to you about Cleveland, especially when your out of town?

Old 10-24-2015, 04:43 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,560,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Which city are you currently living in and how long you've been living there? Also, did they come with the LeBron insults while he was in Miami or after he announced he was coming back to CLE? Have the people that put Cleveland down ever been to Cleveland, or do they go by the jokes or bad press? Because I'm very sure you can pick on negatives of that city. 'Cause from what you post it sounds like they only hear the jokes and stereotypes Plus, if somebody judges you based on which city you're from is pretty ignorant and close-minded. Be around people who's gonna accept you for you, no matter where you're from. Because there's cool people and a-holes in every city. If you're proud to be from Cleveland, be proud; f*** what they think about it. Never apologize for who you are and where you came from.

I live in Chicago and have been here for over four years. I also visit monthly to help with my aging parents and still identify as a Clevelander at the end of the day.

I really can't track down when or why the Lebron insults started. Probably when he left Cleveland in the manner that he did. There was plenty of hate for him everywhere for years afterwards.

Some of those people have been to Cleveland on short or extended visits. Others have resided here for much of their lives, then moved. And then there those who have never visited. The negativity isn't noticeably different from any of them.

I have never been judged harshly for being from Cleveland; my post is just a response to the question of Cleveland's national perception, not how it reflects on current or former inhabitants. Not really sure where you're going with the latter half of your post.

And I'm a booster for the city and have had plenty of conversations about its strengths and shortcomings. Again, I was just responding to OP's question.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I live in Chicago and have been here for over four years. I also visit monthly to help with my aging parents and still identify as a Clevelander at the end of the day.

I really can't track down when or why the Lebron insults started. Probably when he left Cleveland in the manner that he did. There was plenty of hate for him everywhere for years afterwards.

Some of those people have been to Cleveland on short or extended visits. Others have resided here for much of their lives, then moved. And then there those who have never visited. The negativity isn't noticeably different from any of them.

I have never been judged harshly for being from Cleveland; my post is just a response to the question of Cleveland's national perception, not how it reflects on current or former inhabitants. Not really sure where you're going with the latter half of your post.

And I'm a booster for the city and have had plenty of conversations about its strengths and shortcomings. Again, I was just responding to OP's question.

I know a lot Chicago fans had plenty of insults about LeBron during the playoffs last year. I think there's so much LeBron hate not only because of "The Decision", but he's beaten them many times with two different teams. Similar to how Cavs fans felt being knocked off by Jordan every year back in the day.

But, I've been to Chicago a lot of times, and most people didn't give me the side eye when I say I'm from Cleveland except one person. A few years ago, my friend and I traveled to Chicago and we checked in at the Best Western. The guy at the front desk and the housekeeper (I think) were talking about the Bulls win over the Heat the night before. I told him I was from Cleveland. He said, "I hate LeBron did that to you guys. I hope he never wins a championship in Miami." So, you don't really think Cleveland still gets a bad stigma? Why or why not?

Old 10-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I know a lot Chicago fans had plenty of insults about LeBron during the playoffs last year. I think there's so much LeBron hate not only because of "The Decision", but he's beaten them many times with two different teams. Similar to how Cavs fans felt being knocked off by Jordan every year back in the day.

But, I've been to Chicago a lot of times, and most people didn't give me the side eye when I say I'm from Cleveland except one person. A few years ago, my friend and I traveled to Chicago and we checked in at the Best Western. The guy at the front desk and the housekeeper (I think) were talking about the Bulls win over the Heat the night before. I told him I was from Cleveland. He said, "I hate LeBron did that to you guys. I hope he never wins a championship in Miami." So, you don't really think Cleveland still gets a bad stigma? Why or why not?
During the playoffs and finals I encountered a lot anti-Lebron comments, wanting him to lose etc. Some seemed to go back to his leaving but I say, all Clevelanders, far and wide, own the forgiveness (or not to forgive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland