Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:20 AM

555 posts, read 891,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
All this focus on taxes seems a fools errand to me. You get what you pay for. Part of the reason why I am never going to live in the south again.
I don't disagree (though we have not yet ruled out all parts of the south because the cold aggravates certain health conditions for me), but because we will be on a more or less fixed income in a couple of years, we consider all the costs. I am with you on the excellent services in many parts of Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,090 times
We currently live in Cleveland and came here from Northern Ontario so find the worst winters Cleveland has to offer very tame in comparison - its all perspective. We moved here 14 years ago and live in Strongsville (suburb) and have enjoyed our time here, made a lot friends and like the access to the lake, the 4 seasons and low cost of living. If you came from northern Illinois, the winter weather should not even be a consideration. If the job is a good one and the offer is good - go for it.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:14 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Don't forget the library system. Absolutely fantastic.

I've lived all over the US. Taxes in Ohio and Cuyahoga county are no where near the top. Even states that would seem to be 'cheap' because they have no income tax, like New Hampshire and Washington, have other taxes that make them more expensive. All this focus on taxes seems a fools errand to me. You get what you pay for. Part of the reason why I am never going to live in the south again.
Comparing total monthly/yearly cost of living across states when considering a move from one location to another is something that I did. And while you certainly get what you pay for, there are ways to get what the next guy is paying for but paying much less. I've lived in the deep south and it wasn't all that bad. What did you not get in the south that you could have gotten up north by paying for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
It's funny how today with our first actionable snow event, the entire snow industry (plows, etc.) are out dealing with very little snow trying to justify their existence.
Then they best be keeping up that good work. I was in downtown CLE last week and it felt like mid 60's. I will be in Mentor area visiting relatives Christmas Eve and it looks like it will be no snow this entire week and wed will be low 60's.

Keep these El Nino's coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnmo View Post
We currently live in Cleveland and came here from Northern Ontario so find the worst winters Cleveland has to offer very tame in comparison - its all perspective. We moved here 14 years ago and live in Strongsville (suburb) and have enjoyed our time here, made a lot friends and like the access to the lake, the 4 seasons and low cost of living. If you came from northern Illinois, the winter weather should not even be a consideration. If the job is a good one and the offer is good - go for it.
If you are used to snow and cold, that's great but not everyone is in that same boat. Not everyone likes relocating from areas of warmth in the winter and having to deal with a typical Cleveland winter, or any other northern winter. I don't understand why Cleveland natives get so defensive about the area when people talk about winters there. You can't control the weather so who cares. If you want to live there, accept the fact that a majority of winters are going to be cold, and that driving conditions may or may not be unpleasant at certain times depending on several factors. If someone doesn't like the cold, this place nor any other norther state with similar temps/snow fall may not be for them.

Last edited by maxmodder; 12-21-2015 at 12:30 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 02:10 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Comparing total monthly/yearly cost of living across states when considering a move from one location to another is something that I did. And while you certainly get what you pay for, there are ways to get what the next guy is paying for but paying much less. I've lived in the deep south and it wasn't all that bad. What did you not get in the south that you could have gotten up north by paying for it?
Public schools. In Irving and Plano, Texas, Huntsville, Alabama, and Atlanta, Georgia my experience was that people did everything they could to not pass school levies and to keep the taxes as low as possible. As a result, the public schools were terrible and most people who could afford it sent their kids to private school. I would rather pay my fair share of taxes and send my kids to a diverse, quality public school than pay even more to send them to a private school.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:15 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
If you are used to snow and cold, that's great but not everyone is in that same boat. Not everyone likes relocating from areas of warmth in the winter and having to deal with a typical Cleveland winter, or any other northern winter. I don't understand why Cleveland natives get so defensive about the area when people talk about winters there. You can't control the weather so who cares. If you want to live there, accept the fact that a majority of winters are going to be cold, and that driving conditions may or may not be unpleasant at certain times depending on several factors. If someone doesn't like the cold, this place nor any other norther state with similar temps/snow fall may not be for them.
We're not defensive when persons say it is colder and with more snow than in more southern climes. That's an obvious reality, although the difference is becoming more muted with every passing year of continued climate change. "Typical" Cleveland winters are much more mild than even a few decades ago.

We become defensive about two things 1) Persons who exaggerate the conditions and denigrate the area's substantial ability to deal with snowfalls and icy conditions; 2) Persons who think winter is all bad and ignore the pleasures that many experience playing in the snow and enjoying nature in the winter, or even a "white" (at times) holiday season.

Many of us remember a person who told of dire conditions on Thanksgiving 2014 that none of us had experienced and which were not documented in any news reports. Of course, we always will take exception with that kind of apparent exaggeration.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
We're not defensive when persons say it is colder and with more snow than in more southern climes. That's an obvious reality, although the difference is becoming more muted with every passing year of continued climate change. "Typical" Cleveland winters are much more mild than even a few decades ago.

We become defensive about two things 1) Persons who exaggerate the conditions and denigrate the area's substantial ability to deal with snowfalls and icy conditions; 2) Persons who think winter is all bad and ignore the pleasures that many experience playing in the snow and enjoying nature in the winter, or even a "white" (at times) holiday season.

Many of us remember a person who told of dire conditions on Thanksgiving 2014 that none of us had experienced and which were not documented in any news reports. Of course, we always will take exception with that kind of apparent exaggeration.
Funny that you mention the conditions of 2014 Thanksgiving not having bad driving conditions when just this thanksgiving different people that I spoke to brought up the fact that this years thanksgiving in Cleveland (I was there this thanksgiving in CLE and in 2014) was infinitely better than the snowy bad road conditions of thanksgiving 2014. Another poster on city-data even confirmed what I said about 2014 Thanksgiving around the 480/71 interchange as being bad. So if the snowfall and bad road conditions didn't happen, why was I reminded that it did happen? Why do I vividly recall it being a PITA to drive through it, as it hit very quickly? You weren't in Cleveland that day, you were probably in Mentor when it happened. Just go ask people that you know that live around the airport area what the weather was like on Thanksgiving day 2014 around 8:30pm. I don't know why it wasn't reported on the news, but you couldn't make this up. I posted the link when it happened.

Go read post number 4 right here which confirms it: //www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Yet no one experienced it?

Last edited by maxmodder; 12-21-2015 at 08:12 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Funny that you mention the conditions of 2014 Thanksgiving not having bad driving conditions when just this thanksgiving different people that I spoke to brought up the fact that this years thanksgiving in Cleveland (I was there this thanksgiving in CLE and in 2014) was infinitely better than the snowy bad road conditions of thanksgiving 2014. Another poster on city-data even confirmed what I said about 2014 Thanksgiving around the 480/71 interchange as being bad. So if the snowfall and bad road conditions didn't happen, why was I reminded that it did happen? Why do I vividly recall it being a PITA to drive through it, as it hit very quickly? You weren't in Cleveland that day, you were probably in Mentor when it happened. Just go ask people that you know that live around the airport area what the weather was like on Thanksgiving day 2014 around 8:30pm. I don't know why it wasn't reported on the news, but you couldn't make this up. I posted the link when it happened.

Go read post number 4 right here which confirms it: //www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Yet no one experienced it?
Yeah, I remember. The conditions were so bad that it supposedly took one of your friends six hours to get from Cleveland to Akron and yet the weather conditions never made the newspapers.

See post 131 and subsequent posts here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...u-down-14.html

Anybody who reads through that thread carefully probably will recognize some other inconsistencies (e.g., posts 156-158).

Old 12-22-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I remember. The conditions were so bad that it supposedly took one of your friends six hours to get from Cleveland to Akron and yet the weather conditions never made the newspapers.

See post 131 and subsequent posts here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...u-down-14.html

Anybody who reads through that thread carefully probably will recognize some other inconsistencies (e.g., posts 156-158).
You're trying way to hard to believe that the roads weren't bad that day in that area due to snow when they were. Don't worry about the papers and news reports and just ask anyone that you know personally who lives near the 480/71 split what the weather was like that day. They will confirm it for you that the roads were very bad due to snow. Me and Jprice15 don't need to convince you about what happend....we lived it.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You're trying way to hard to believe that the roads weren't bad that day in that area due to snow when they were. Don't worry about the papers and news reports and just ask anyone that you know personally who lives near the 480/71 split what the weather was like that day. They will confirm it for you that the roads were very bad due to snow. Me and Jprice15 don't need to convince you about what happend....we lived it.
As I maintained in the original thread, in all but the most historic of storms, if then, it's preposterous to imagine that it took anybody six hours to drive between Cleveland and Akron.

As the thread well documented, there was no evidence that conditions were remotely so bad as to make unbiased persons with any experience living in northeast Ohio consider that tale as seriously factual. E.g., shoppers were out in full force, with no mention of bad weather, on Thanksgiving evening when this horrible weather allegedly caused that extraordinary six-hour drive.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
As I maintained in the original thread, in all but the most historic of storms, if then, it's preposterous to imagine that it took anybody six hours to drive between Cleveland and Akron.

As the thread well documented, there was no evidence that conditions were remotely so bad as to make unbiased persons with any experience living in northeast Ohio consider that tale as seriously factual. E.g., shoppers were out in full force, with no mention of bad weather, on Thanksgiving evening when this horrible weather allegedly caused that extraordinary six-hour drive.
Again, don't take my word for it. Just find some people that live near the area in question and ask them how the weather was that day. Call up BW in Berea and ask some of the employees there. Just because it didn't snow in Mentor that night doesn't mean that it didn't take me 1.5 hours to get somewhere that normally takes 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland